Which savage rifle? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:24 PM
LVheat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My question to the OP is what kind of shooting do you plan on doing? As another has said, the TR is typically considered the most accurate, but it has a heavy fluted barrel and a target like stock. If youre going to be hiking around popping cans squirrels etc, the standard FV would probably be better suited to carry.

Truthfully though the TRR isn't all that difficult to carry unless you plan on having a small kid or grandkid carry it around while hiking. I have shot a few other MKIIs but I prefer my TR.

My TR is topped with a Bushnell AR optic 4.5-16. The accutrigger and heavy barrel are phenomenal.

Obviously I'm biased in my choice of recommendation but the good thing is you really can't go wrong. They're all fantastic rifles for the price.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:02 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

FV-SR is the way to go, whether its a MK or A or B. The shorter barrel makes an easy carry with little accuracy/range cost. Options beyond that depend on your planned use. I just got the best deal on a B22 FV without the SR and I'm in Canada where S--------- are illegal so it didn't matter. I think the V is the critical part anyway. Pro or T is a plus, tho, but $200 buys a lot of ammo.

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 08-14-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a Mk II F, a Mk II FV-SR and a B22 FV-SR, I like them all. Iím probably the only one on the site, that actually prefers the synthetic stocks.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:58 PM
Hardhammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk2 fvsr, just ad a cheek rest and your good to go
Old 09-15-2021, 01:04 AM
PaPow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerjack22 View Post
I have a Mk II F, a Mk II FV-SR and a B22 FV-SR, I like them all. Iím probably the only one on the site, that actually prefers the synthetic stocks.
You`re not alone when it comes to synthetic stocks. I like the fact that they stay put, and they dont seem to care care what kind of weather you throw at them. And they don`t ding and dent like wood stocks do. Lately, i see barrels riding the side of the wood. At least with tupperware stocks, you can heat an move them straight. But i`ve not seen where i`ve ever had to do that with any tupperware stocked guns that i own.

I`ve been steering away from pretty wood, because todays wood just isn`t as nice as they use to be. I saw a 125th anniversary (mossberg i think) today, they had a $1200 price tag on it because of the fancy flame stock on it. If you could have seen the quality of the craftsmanship of it, you would have walked away laughing. It was HORRIBLE! Looked like they forgot to sand off a bunch of area`s and they clear coated right over it. Slivers sticking out everywhere!

I`m with you on synthetic stocks all the way.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I recently bought an additional Savage 22LR rifle, I got a Savage Mk II Minimalist, in a green/brown tinted laminated stock. It has a short heavy fluted threaded barrel. I like the shape of the stock, I like the balance, it has a Accu-Trigger, for me the laminated stock is rough, lots of sharp edges, I’d prefer a synthetic stock, or have a friend use a router and a rollover bit a round over all of the sharp edges.

I like all of the Savages, they all shoot well, my favorite, for right now is the Mk II FV-SR. I don’t shoot huge distances, using only iron sights, but they are very accurate for me.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an old model19NRA that is very accurate. Mine came shod with decent target irons, but creative use of the forward and rear sight mounting screws would allow scope mounting.

Last edited by Chickenhater; 09-29-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:29 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have been eyeballing the minimalist since they came out. I recently wrote to Savage about bringing one out in 17m2. I think the compactness of the rifle in that caliber would be a great woods/squirrel gun.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Struggl, nice 23A. All this talk about old savages led me to get my 19NRA out today and put a few downrange. It's been quite a while since I shot it last, it was a fun refresher. Everybody, get your old savages out and shoot them!
Old 09-29-2021, 10:30 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Savage A22 one of the smoothest most accurate semiautoís I own!