Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:02 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
I'm not here on this site to get better. The internet has never made me a better shooter. I am one of those experienced shooters 12 years would qualify me. The top shooters don't worry about what height their targets are hung. This mess about a gun being out of tune just cause of a angle change is nonsense. I guess most of you have never been to a national or big match and actually paid attention to what the tip shooters are doing. I've been to several and always watch the guys winning, what they're doing the entire time. It has helped my shooting more than any stupid thread on rfc or any other forum.
Aaaah, but some people are, including the OP if I am not mistaken. And this thread was started by someone who admitted he was not an experienced shooter and was seeking advice. Your shooting may not benefit from reading things on the internet, but I'm not sure one can automatically assume that is true for everyone else.

Each to his own....
Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But to let some of this nonsense go unchallenged is a disservice to those trying to learn. To those who are just put together a rifle rest combination grab the best ammo you can get and go to a match. Don't get hung up on internet what ifs and buts the real problems will confront you in competition so let it humble you and learn from that.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
I'm not here on this site to get better. The internet has never made me a better shooter. I am one of those experienced shooters 12 years would qualify me. The top shooters don't worry about what height their targets are hung. This mess about a gun being out of tune just cause of a angle change is nonsense. I guess most of you have never been to a national or big match and actually paid attention to what the tip shooters are doing. I've been to several and always watch the guys winning, what they're doing the entire time. It has helped my shooting more than any stupid thread on rfc or any other forum.
Then what are you here for? You haven't gleaned even ONE single idea about "shooting better" from posts here on RFC (ahh, that would be "the internet")?? Well, if that's indeed the case, you probably should just do us all a favor, and stick to going to the "Big Matches" (whatever that is..). And just leave the RFC site for us peons. I don't think you will be missed at all, short of the "entertainment" value your posts sometime provide. I just don't get why you feel you MUST be so GD CONTRARY...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The internets: where we learn the proper use of emojis.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unfortunately for me there are no big matches in my area, in fact there's no little matches in my area, so that leaves me with the greatest source of information from the internet and more directly from this forum. I really became interested in .22 cal benchrest shooting a little over a year ago at the start of the pandemic which was bad for me. Most ranges were closed in my area which brought everything to a stop. So in the last few months I have really been aggressively trying to put into practice what I have learned from this and a few other forums, but alas, I still can't get it squared away. In reality I shoot better off a wooden rifle rest than either of the 2 high quality rests that I have. If you don't think that breeds frustration then you haven't lived. So I will keep reading entries from those far more knowledgeable than me and hopefully one day soon, or at least before I run out of my good ammunition, I will see a glimmer of hope in becoming a real benchrest shooter. So thanks to those that care enough to help out others in this maddening game.

Rick H.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Hozzie

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Unfortunately for me there are no big matches in my area, in fact there's no little matches in my area, so that leaves me with the greatest source of information from the internet and more directly from this forum. I really became interested in .22 cal benchrest shooting a little over a year ago at the start of the pandemic which was bad for me. Most ranges were closed in my area which brought everything to a stop. So in the last few months I have really been aggressively trying to put into practice what I have learned from this and a few other forums, but alas, I still can't get it squared away. In reality I shoot better off a wooden rifle rest than either of the 2 high quality rests that I have. If you don't think that breeds frustration then you haven't lived. So I will keep reading entries from those far more knowledgeable than me and hopefully one day soon, or at least before I run out of my good ammunition, I will see a glimmer of hope in becoming a real benchrest shooter. So thanks to those that care enough to help out others in this maddening game.

Rick H.
There are in fact two matches this coming weekend close to you where you could go learn a whole lot. There is a club tournament at Van Dyne Sportsman's Club (584 E Lone Elm Rd, Van Dyne, WI 54979) on Saturday August 8th and the ARA State Tournament on Sunday August 9th and Menomonee Falls (W249N8500 Hillside Rd, Sussex, WI 53089).

You can check the ARA website for more info.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The Menomonee Falls club in in Rick's backyard, he needs to come and shoot.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:05 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqunac View Post
But to let some of this nonsense go unchallenged is a disservice to those trying to learn. To those who are just put together a rifle rest combination grab the best ammo you can get and go to a match. Don't get hung up on internet what ifs and buts the real problems will confront you in competition so let it humble you and learn from that.
Yet you provide nothing to back up that it is nonsense! in fact you just repeat what others have said.
I wonder how many matches do you shoot and what organization would that be?

The others I know shoot matches I can understand why they say what they say. I know they are experienced shooters. and for them they do what they do without thought, so some things are nonsense to them.
but you, where is your experience to tell new shooters what to believe and what not to. you haven't shown any thing on this thread.

you call me a internet guru, and tell me I make it personal. there are many I have provided help to when asked. and when they show support, you insult them.

even a very experienced shooter who posted to this thread, tried something I advocate, for him it didn't make much difference, but he was willing to try. and for that I have all the respect for, because he tried.

But for you, you just want to stir the pot with nothing to back what you say.
there is an internet word for that.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:16 PM
igolfat8
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozzie View Post
To some shooters locking down their guns, that is absolutely true. There are many well known names who lock down their guns completely. .
I tried locking my front rest firmly today and it works well vertically. I also made a rear flat nylon rolling pin roller and it works well vertically but when I index left or right the rear MTR stock hops and my shots are errant.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:49 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Yet you provide nothing to back up that it is nonsense! in fact you just repeat what others have said.
I wonder how many matches do you shoot and what organization would that be?

The others I know shoot matches I can understand why they say what they say. I know they are experienced shooters. and for them they do what they do without thought, so some things are nonsense to them.
but you, where is your experience to tell new shooters what to believe and what not to. you haven't shown any thing on this thread.

you call me a internet guru, and tell me I make it personal. there are many I have provided help to when asked. and when they show support, you insult them.

even a very experienced shooter who posted to this thread, tried something I advocate, for him it didn't make much difference, but he was willing to try. and for that I have all the respect for, because he tried.

But for you, you just want to stir the pot with nothing to back what you say.
there is an internet word for that.
Care to explain why you're afraid to compete? I'm being nice.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:57 PM
igolfat8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Bald Eagle front rest, Caldwell bag and Sinclair Speed screw. I did the carburetor bolt modification eliminating the windage adjustment rubber hose. When I move my windage adjustment it seems to be not real accurate. When I move the speed screw elevation up and down, my cross hairs donít track true. It moves at an angle instead of straight up and down. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Would a Shade Tree joystick top be a better option or should I buy a better front rest or fix the one Iíve got? I am just shooting ARA and have only shot 3 small (12 competitors) local matches so far and having a lot of fun.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:14 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
I have a Bald Eagle front rest, Caldwell bag and Sinclair Speed screw. I did the carburetor bolt modification eliminating the windage adjustment rubber hose. When I move my windage adjustment it seems to be not real accurate. When I move the speed screw elevation up and down, my cross hairs don’t track true. It moves at an angle instead of straight up and down. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Would a Shade Tree joystick top be a better option or should I buy a better front rest or fix the one I’ve got? I am just shooting ARA and have only shot 3 small (12 competitors) local matches so far and having a lot of fun.
Could your rest not be level? “ It moves at an angle instead of straight up and down.”
I’m not sure what the windage adjustment problem is.

I level the card then get the rifle / rest to track pretty good with the windage adjustment then the vertical with the speed screw is good for small vertical moves.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 PM
igolfat8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have mounted a level on the rest and also an anti cant level is mounted on the scope too.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:01 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqunac View Post
Care to explain why you're afraid to compete? I'm being nice.
I am not sure why you think I am afraid to compete. I shoot matches every month though not sanctioned. DSRPC.com I already locked up our UL for the year
go to ARA and lookup the Arizona State championships for 2018 & 2019 I think it was, you will see my name.

I will be there this year at Rio Salado on Oct. 20th for a club 6-card match and on Oct. 23rd at Ben Avery for the AZ. Sate championship.

Frank Goff is the match director at Rio and Steve Perkins at Ben Avery, give them a call and put your name down to shoot and I will see you there.

Lee
Old 08-03-2021, 09:42 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
I am not sure why you think I am afraid to compete.
Lee
Post 73