High stress jobs vs less stress and lower pay. - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:40 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)

Air Traffic Controller for 30 years, reserve Police officer (very active to the point of having a Court day every month for 15 of the 17 years), retired at age 51 from the FAA, retired from the PD in '06 at 56 years old. By that time I was Shop Manager at a Country Club. Loved all the jobs or I'd have found something else to do. Stress likely has contributed greatly to my By Passes and other ailments but if I had it to do over I'd have quit smoking 30 years sooner than I did, it likely contributed more than stress. Financially we're in great shape.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Air Traffic Controller for 30 years
Thinking of the movie Airplane and Lloyd Bridges chain smoking in the tower.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:18 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Thinking of the movie Airplane and Lloyd Bridges chain smoking in the tower.
Many of us did until we were forced to go outside to smoke, we got 15 mins. every 3 hours plus a 30 minute meal break, some folks could burn a half a pack a day just at work.

Folks ask what is the most realistic movie portrayal of Air Traffic Control, the correct answer is there never has been one.

Last edited by gmd1950; 05-21-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2021, 01:31 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had some stress in life. Retired with little money as soon as I could. Living on about $1000 a month for about five years after divorce since that destroyed my will to build back if the courts can take it away and the lawyers make out.

There are ways that a bad work situation can get even worse too.

Rest is cheap. Prayer is good. Reading not expensive. Inexpensive play like walking, hiking, gym membership, cycling, swimming available. Socializing can be cheap.

Main thing is health. So grateful when I'm healthy that I'm not working. Grateful that when I'm sick that I'm not working.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
My job is high stress, and has no such thing as a sick day. Still cannot think of anything else to I'd rather do.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:16 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After 30 years of 24/7 on-call with high stress I walked away from my career. I now have way less income but am much happier. I would do it again (walk away) but even sooner.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always felt my lower paying jobs were just as stressful as my high paying jobs . I figured a job was gonna be stressful no matter what, so why not make the most money I can ?

If you can find a job that is truly less stressful , that would be the way to go at this stage in life .

It seems like companies nowadays find a way to make employeeís jobs harder than necessary.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:54 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My job sucks. I have to talk myself out of early retirement every morning. But money is my mistress. So I forge ahead, sock away as much as I can for another 2 years and Iím out at 65. Then maybe Iíll get a job as a substitute teacher for a few days a week. Teach kids about basic finance which I donít think they are prepared for.
......Tom Petty
Old 05-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Then maybe Iíll get a job as a substitute teacher for a few days a week. Teach kids about basic finance which I donít think they are prepared for.
If you do that, teach older kids. Before landing my last job, I got talked into subbing. I got all my credentials in order and taught a class of 4th graders.

Ever see the movie Kindergarten Cop?

It was the first and last time I will ever do that. Running into burning buildings was much safer!

R
Old 05-22-2021, 09:33 AM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I come from a family of engineers, and I have the gene. I am by nature picky, detail oriented, and prone to excessive worry. However, when I was about 21 I had a medical scare that pointed all fingers at stress. Since then, my life has been devoted to staying calm. Out of school, I went into business for myself as a consultant. Looking back, it was the best thing I ever could have done because I got to choose my clients. Those that I kept became my friends, and those that were hard to work with or were slow to pay got jettisoned ASAP; life's too short. I'm 74 and only semi-retired, and don't mind a daily check of the office. My blessed wife was a teacher, disliked it more with every passing year, and retired as soon as she could. I would have died if I had to spend every day of my adult years with nitwits.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:41 AM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Life's short. Beautiful. But short.

A simple life is a good life. Stress...that's a silent killer. If you end up mentally and physically thrashed then what have we worked for, really? It's seems a waste.

Never made what most would call "good" money. Worked my entire life outside doing physical jobs. Fresh air. Feeling your muscles work. It was great. Like being in the gym five days a week and getting paid for it. Straight 8 - 5 five days with weekends always free. Always had enough...just lived simply and didn't worry about things I couldn't change. Everything still works fine. I can still do all the stuff I did when I was young. Only, probably a bit smarter about it, now.

I don't have tons of money. But, I feel like I'm filthy rich.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
If you do that, teach older kids. Before landing my last job, I got talked into subbing. I got all my credentials in order and taught a class of 4th graders.

Ever see the movie Kindergarten Cop?
Oh no, no way man. My ex was a preschool director for a while and just visiting a class I think gave me PTSD.

Older kids weren't a lot better IME, just different. I taught vocational classes part time at a couple of city colleges and it was stressful keeping an eye on 20 students to keep them from getting sucked into a lathe or removing their fingers on a band saw.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Darkest_One View Post
I don't have tons of money. But, I feel like I'm filthy rich.
Some years back I was driving to my crazy job at 7 AM, stopped at a light. Scruffy guy with paint splotches all over his clothes and a couple of fishing poles on a bicycle was crossing in front of me, heading down to the pier. He looked happy as a clam. At that moment, I really wished I could trade places with him. I knew that in 20 minutes I was gonna be in a meeting getting my keister handed to me for missing my department's monthly goals. I felt sick to my stomach.

It's coming up on a year since I started this thread, and it's been 13 months since I was laid off. Still looking for a job but I take a walk down to the beach every day, thankful that I'm not being brutalized at work anymore. Sometimes I miss the action and challenge of my career but if I watch pelicans diving into the ocean for a while, I forget about it.

I've been watching vids and reading books on minimalism for a few years, and I think that's where I'm headed. I have enough FU money invested to semi-retire and get me through until SS and Medicare kick in, and 401(k) withdrawals are needed.

Another of my favorite Stoic quotes...

Set aside a certain number of days during which you shall be content with the scantiest and cheapest fare, with coarse and rough dress, saying to yourself the while, "Is this the condition that I feared?" ó Seneca

So like camping, which I already enjoy every chance I get.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:22 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Some years back I was driving to my crazy job at 7 AM, stopped at a light. Scruffy guy with paint splotches all over his clothes and a couple of fishing poles on a bicycle was crossing in front of me, heading down to the pier. He looked happy as a clam.
Soo, how's the fishing @ the pier? Al wondered to himself.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:39 AM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
... happy as a clam.
#contentmentgoals.

Quote:
Set aside a certain number of days during which you shall be content with the scantiest and cheapest fare, with coarse and rough dress, saying to yourself the while, "Is this the condition that I feared?"[/I] ó Seneca
This dude didn't just fall off a turnip truck.