Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (57)
New car prices

So I'm thinking of getting a new Mustang GT vert as a second car/toy. Owned a similar model from 2004-2017, which served the same purpose.
Yeah, I know the supply of some things is tight, but in the spring, I bought a new 2021 Accord 2.0T for a few thousand off of msrp, and knew that I could be a new E class Mercedes for about a grand off list.
I found such a Mustang in stock about 50 miles from home. The dealer's website offered an "internet price" option , which was nonsense-they really don't want to give a price unless you're there. I told them I wanted an idea, before I drive 100 miles R/T.
"It's $3000 over msrp, and that is the best price."
I can well afford it, but my life is already pretty comfy, and nothing is worth a premium price to me, and I'm not playing a covid seller's game.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:18 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
So I'm thinking of getting a new Mustang GT vert as a second car/toy. Owned a similar model from 2004-2017, which served the same purpose.
Yeah, I know the supply of some things is tight, but in the spring, I bought a new 2021 Accord 2.0T for a few thousand off of msrp, and knew that I could be a new E class Mercedes for about a grand off list.
I found such a Mustang in stock about 50 miles from home. The dealer's website offered an "internet price" option , which was nonsense-they really don't want to give a price unless you're there. I told them I wanted an idea, before I drive 100 miles R/T.
"It's $3000 over msrp, and that is the best price."
I can well afford it, but my life is already pretty comfy, and nothing is worth a premium price to me, and I'm not playing a covid seller's game.
Now is not a time to buy a car if you donít have to.
......Tom Petty
Old 09-26-2021, 02:48 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post

Indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 02:48 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking to buy a new Chevy Impala SS in 1995. I wanted a green one, but only 5000 were built in that color that year. I called ~5 dealerships close to me and they all quoted me the same $5K over sticker. Friend of mine told me to call XYZ Chevrolet saying that they had one in the showroom, and the owner's policy was to never charge over sticker. I found out it was true, and bought it for sticker price.

Had I not found that deal, I wouldn't have bought one. I didn't want the car that bad.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
And not for 2 more years according to the eggspurts. Get the Pony Cam.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
And not for 2 more years according to the eggspurts. Get the Pony Cam.
Yeah, there is that argument as well. If not now, when? I'm not getting any younger. I can still probably, just barely, haul my stiff old carcass out of a low car. Had to give up doing my own oil changes last year. Doing it myself wasn't about saving a buck, but wanting it done my way. Same with my last brake job. Too many expletives involved.
Too many chores are now calculated in terms of how many ibuprofen will be required. I also think about how large the denomination of lost currency would have to be, to merit me bending over to pick it up.
By living by your principles, you could well end up depriving yourself. Who's the winner or loser in that.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:47 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If ya got the jam, look into leasing a Porsche Taycan. They are somewhat available. $7500 rebate and no sales tax, in NJ anyway. The salesman last week told me I could drive one with $3000 down and around $1100 a month, Not bad for a Porsche if can dig electric. I think it would be a blast to drive for 3 years. Then I drove home and saw my roof that needs to be replaced soon and my front stoop that needs to be replaced and reality set in. Sigh ��.
And it’s not a 911.
......Tom Petty

Last edited by dlong; 09-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:12 PM
LDB415

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Find a good used car for a lot less money. Hopefully it's all on the Dave Ramsey plan.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:28 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A few years ago after I sold my 2nd Mercury Marauder I saw the then new Chevy SS's were being dropped. I went online to several dealers who had ones similar to what I was interested in and used Chevy's 'get a price quote' thing. I got responses from all of them. NONE included a price quote, ALL of them were from some salesman schmucks and all of the wanted me to call them. I emailed them back and said give me your best price quote or forget it. They all replied with the same BS so I didn't buy a new Chevy SS and I saved their emails and passed them along to friends to give them a heads up to never do business with these dealers.
I also emailed Chevy about it and of course I never got a reply from them so I told them they'd lost a new car sale and I bought a brand new Ford Mustang instead as the Ford dealers didn't play that game. Screw them.
I've had 3 honest new and used car dealers I've done business with, with the rest of them you better count your fingers after you shake hands with them.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
y bi nu
Old 09-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscoe View Post
y bi nu
I'm a perfectionist, and have rarely bought used cars or guns unless I was getting a really good deal. Few folks take care of their stuff like I do.
I'm driving a new 2021 Accord 2.0T now. The Mustang would be a second car.(and frankly, my 2004 Mustang GT vert was a dog build quality wise, but fun to drive)
This is my second Accord, and the third in the family. All trouble free.
I think my new Accord is pretty amazing. A nice size four door sedan, capable of 40mpg, runs on regular gas, and is supposed to do 100mph in the quarter mile, and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Horsepower, torque, and speeds comparable with my 2004 GT, all done quietly. That v8 Mustang was quick enough, but more bark than bite.
I used to always try to milk 200k miles out of a car, as I used them for business, but now in my retirement, I like the idea of saying bye=bye when the warranty ends.
Used cars? All that I sold were well maintained, but for virtually all of them, I was a little tongue in cheek with passing on the issues that I knew existed or would show their ugly head one day.

dlong, a friend was into Porsche suvs. He suggested leasing one or paying the big bucks for an extended warranty. He had drivetrain issues with one shortly after the warranty expired. Few folks would want to tackle the bills that he did. Just insane for what was supposed to be wonderful German engineering. Stuff that shouldn't go bad, wouldn't go bad in other cars until 200k miles, but was failing much, much sooner than that. He traded it in for a Subaru Forester.

Last edited by Camster; 09-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:05 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB415 View Post
Find a good used car for a lot less money.
My 2003 F150 went from ~$2k (I had considered scrapping it due to cost of replacing plugs, coils and fuel pump) to around $15k in the last 18 months. Go ahead and kbb an '03 FX4 lariat with every option, in near-new condition (75k miles).

Used prices are through the roof due to lack of availability.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:50 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My investor friend said that used prices have gone up 40% while new about 10%.

Cars are scarce and holding on to what you have (if you can) would be the safe bet.

In FL, we used to wait for someone to die to buy used. Getting hard to find deals because it's common knowledge how much used cars are worth.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:08 PM
rgee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picking this up later this week - waiting for the box cover to be installed.
RGee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2021, 07:02 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure wish Honda or Toyota would come out with a sportscar that I like and could afford. One that I could fit into.

Love the looks of the new Corvette, but they're asking ~25% over sticker. That's nuts.