Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:54 PM
rimfiresforever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time 41 shooter today

I've been an avid shooter for 60 years and fired my newly aquired 41 for the first time today. Now I know what you guys have been raving about. this pistol is the most instinctive pointing gun I have fired. It just seems to point automatically at the target. I have a 1965 or 1966 heavy barrel model. I tried some federal match SV with a few problems, then switched to CCI SV and never had a glitch the rest of the day.
I would like to solicit some advice; I am looking for holster recommendations, I would like to use the gun in steel challenge. Also I may invest in a second barrel. Any thoughts on the Clark vs Bully barrels would be helpful.
I am a true 41 fan after shooting one on the first day.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First off, congratulations on your newly acquired model 41. I do remember firing my first model 41 for the first time. It's just an experience like no other. I'm sorry but I don't have any recommendations for an extra barrel. When I got my first 5.5 inch heavy barrel model 41 I just didn't have any desire for anything else.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congratulations on the 41. I don't have any advice for you but did want to Congratulate you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 10:33 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have a Clark barrel it is accurate STC optics only barrel but I don’t think it more accurate than factory barrels j have but makes it nice to have red dot on and you can switch barrels with other sights easy!
Old 06-26-2020, 10:46 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I like shooting bullseye with the 41 but for steel I do better with Volquartsen Black Mamba it’s lighter and I can shoot it faster but that’s what I prefer! Both are excellent guns
Old 06-28-2020, 06:27 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
dear rimfires

I have a couple model 41's with a impressive number of barrels, each mounted with a different sighting device that I use to train newbies on the benefits/shortcomings of various sighting devices. I have a couple Clarks, another aftermarket brand, and a bunch of S&W's of various lengths.

What I have found is that all the barrels deliver x ring accuracy with CCI SV and the subsonic European brands.

The 7 inch S&W barrel offers the advantage of a longer sight radius when using irons. If you are a good iron sight shooter, I would highly consider that. If you are using a red dot or scope, I would recommend one of the shorter barrels since (and I am probably going to get flamed for saying this but) I believe that a shorter barrel is more forgiving of shooter error and you will be more accurate with it.

The 5 1/2 inch target from S&W is a good choice, nice weight, accurate, and a joy to shoot with irons or red dot/scope.

The 5 inch field barrel from S&W is lighter weight, nice to carry in the field but the light weight may hamper you in the accuracy department.

The clark barrels without the top strap reduce the number of jams that occur, specifically the empty brass jammed in front of the breach above the next loaded round, a classic 41 jam but can be eliminated with proper tuning of the ejector, extractor, recoil spring, chamber polishing, and other items.

Regards,
CRankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com