cleaning sealed suppressor - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:32 PM
pinky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile cleaning sealed suppressor

i have a sealed suppressor that i need to clean. aluminum outer. any help is welcome. love it on my 1022. i shoot cci standard velocity ammo and it works great.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 PM
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
A sealed suppressor intended for .22LR is just a bad design in my opinion... they really should be able to be taken apart since .22s leave so much lead and crud on the baffles and inside the tube.

If you really want to/need to clean your sealed suppressor, call the manufacturer and see what they recommend.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
A sealed suppressor intended for .22LR is just a bad design in my opinion... they really should be able to be taken apart since .22s leave so much lead and crud on the baffles and inside the tube.

If you really want to/need to clean your sealed suppressor, call the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

Well if you have a sealed suppressor like an AWC you are kinda stuck with what you have. Sealed suppressors are common and while they require more maintenance, they are perfectly functional.

My shop has a sealed suppressor that they shoot behind a Norrel full auto 10/22 it gets very dirty. Sealed stuff is just fine.

They take a rubber ear plug and plug the muzzle end.

Then they spray MAF cleaner or any automotive carbon remover in the chamber and stand the rifle muzzle down for an hour.

Then they fill the barrel with mineral spirits (not low odor) and let it sit for another hour.

Then let the mixture drain out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 08:32 PM
noelalford

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
be sure you wear gloves and dispose of the waste properly, when you dissolve lead you can absorb it though your skin (lead acetate?) I like my Bowers group suppressors because I can send them to them to be cleaned or take them apart and clean them myself if I wanted to fool with it.

I have not tried it but I heard this stuff is good. I'm not sure it's safe on aluminum either, so look into it further before using.

CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner
Old 12-01-2020, 06:40 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Well if you have a sealed suppressor like an AWC you are kinda stuck with what you have. Sealed suppressors are common and while they require more maintenance, they are perfectly functional.

My shop has a sealed suppressor that they shoot behind a Norrel full auto 10/22 it gets very dirty. Sealed stuff is just fine.

They take a rubber ear plug and plug the muzzle end.

Then they spray MAF cleaner or any automotive carbon remover in the chamber and stand the rifle muzzle down for an hour.

Then they fill the barrel with mineral spirits (not low odor) and let it sit for another hour.

Then let the mixture drain out.
God Bless you good Sir, I think you've just given me some very useful information...
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My pleasure! I learned about the MAF/Automotive carbon stuff from a huge Class III shop. They swear by the stuff. Most people dunk 'em but these are cerakoted and they worry about finish loss so no bad waste, easy to do and no reaction with harsh chemicals
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thanks. I have a sealed .223 can that has gained weight since new. It will get this treatment soon.