What rings for Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM
bevans555

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What rings for Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32

I recently picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Standard 22" (8301). The previous owner only had the high comb stock piece, so thats how its sitting now. It has Warne Maxima Weaver style 2 piece scope bases.

I'm ordering a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 scope and am not sure which brand rings and height I should get. I saw people on here mention Burris Zee Signature rings and Warne rings often. So, I am looking at those but again unsure of the height needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:53 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (135)
I have the RAR in .22 Mag and wanted to be able to use the iron sights too so I put a nice set of Warne QD rings on it, mounted on Weaver #12 separate bases. The rings are well known for their ability to return to zero when re-mounted.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:22 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as the comb height, that stock will work with the scope as low as you can set it up. Do not worry. The 2 pc base should work but; if not then there are one piece options.

I strongly suggest you wait for the scope. With scope and gun figure out the best eye relief and lowest height. What I do is stack up pennies over each base. You can use a little blue masking tape. Like the blue stuff for painting. Easy on an off.

Once you determine you can get the scope far enough back. The rear site is cleared,if you have sights. You can shoot offhand or over bags. Dont shoot just verify things. BTW, no harm to remove the rear sight and plug the dovetail. It is not a collector gun.

Next measure how high you stack of pennies. Look up the specs for the rings you like and place an order. Some measure to the bottom of the scope. A few companies might use the center of the scope (pennies + 1/2 inch). But most will just be the pennies, numbers like 0.35 inch. Every vendor is different.

I suspect the lowest ring will work with that scope, becasue you are already up on a base with a small scope. And unless the scope is junk, you should have eye relief. The max scope setting is always the worse case.

Not that you care, but; IMHO, that is a very sensible scope selection. I even like the scope bases.

Edit: The final check, be sure the lens cover will clear the rear sight and/or barrel. I keep getting burned on that last detail!

Last edited by fourbore; 11-25-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2020, 04:10 PM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I had that same Vortex scope. Don't have experience with the Ruger rifle but make sure your bolt will clear the scopes eyepiece as it is on the larger side.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM
bevans555

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I have the RAR in .22 Mag and wanted to be able to use the iron sights too so I put a nice set of Warne QD rings on it, mounted on Weaver #12 separate bases. The rings are well known for their ability to return to zero when re-mounted.

Thank you. Do you know the height of the Warne QD rings you have?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:22 PM
bevans555

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
As far as the comb height, that stock will work with the scope as low as you can set it up. Do not worry. The 2 pc base should work but; if not then there are one piece options.

I strongly suggest you wait for the scope. With scope and gun figure out the best eye relief and lowest height. What I do is stack up pennies over each base. You can use a little blue masking tape. Like the blue stuff for painting. Easy on an off.

Once you determine you can get the scope far enough back. The rear site is cleared,if you have sights. You can shoot offhand or over bags. Dont shoot just verify things. BTW, no harm to remove the rear sight and plug the dovetail. It is not a collector gun.

Next measure how high you stack of pennies. Look up the specs for the rings you like and place an order. Some measure to the bottom of the scope. A few companies might use the center of the scope (pennies + 1/2 inch). But most will just be the pennies, numbers like 0.35 inch. Every vendor is different.

I suspect the lowest ring will work with that scope, becasue you are already up on a base with a small scope. And unless the scope is junk, you should have eye relief. The max scope setting is always the worse case.

Not that you care, but; IMHO, that is a very sensible scope selection. I even like the scope bases.

Edit: The final check, be sure the lens cover will clear the rear sight and/or barrel. I keep getting burned on that last detail!

Thank you for this info, I appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:27 PM
bevans555

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB22RF View Post
I had that same Vortex scope. Don't have experience with the Ruger rifle but make sure your bolt will clear the scopes eyepiece as it is on the larger side.
Thank you for the reply. I have checked over on the Ruger forum and see people running this scope without a problem... I just cant find where they list the brand and height rings they are using. I may be wrong but I believe the RAR has a 70 degree blot throw.

I may just end up doing the penny thing and measuring to make sure. I've seen some people say they were running high rings and some with medium and low rings with similarly sized scopes.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:19 PM
trh9905
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My rule for getting the best accuracy is to mount you scope as low as it will go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 08:23 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (135)
I have a 44mm scope on mine, they are the high rings so the scope bell would not hit the rear sight when it's folded.