Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:04 PM
SAcharlie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Illuminated reticle?

If all you want is a crosshair what benefit is there to an illuminated one?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAcharlie View Post
If all you want is a crosshair what benefit is there to an illuminated one?
They are great for dark backgrounds, or for hunting near Dusk/dawn, where the reticle can blend in with the background.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:25 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Target shooting the other day, testing my AR-204. Couldn't see the crosshairs or the center dot unless they were on the bull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 03:37 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you like heavy scopes they are great for adding 8 oz. They do help with dark backgrounds. The ones I have seldom get turned on.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JTJ

"If you like heavy scopes they are great for adding 8 oz".

Details please.

As Flintlock28 stated, they are great for hunting in low light.
I especially like my Leupold VX6 3-18X FireDot for shooting silhouette. The dot helps my concentrate on the sight picture and not the target.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-30-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My illuminated scopes are mostly for AR. My lightest illuminated scope is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 @ 17.6 oz. Others are closer 22 oz while non illuminated run 10-16 oz. Difference between my lightest low power variable and my Vortex is 7.6 oz. I have a 3X prism that is military grade and weighs 18 oz including the quick release mount. The lightest illuminated scope I know of is the Busnell AR series. 1-6x24 goes 16.6 oz. I am not the guru on illuminated scopes so your results may differ. I have also noted that battery life is not the same as the newer red dots. My prism will run 600 hours while variables are running 150 hours.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I've gotten a lot more than 150 hours out of my variable power illuminated reticle scopes. My Strike Eagle 1-6 had a little over 300 hours before I changed out the battery. The battery life is going to have a lot to do with the reticle and how bright you are using it. A variable with a large circle dot or something similar that is completely illuminated is going to use the battery quicker than a variable with just an illuminated dot in the middle like the Firedot. As far as adding weight, depending on the model, I don't think it's too significant. I have a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18 with the BDC reticle and 2 more of the same scope with the illuminated V-Brite reticle and I haven't noticed any perceivable difference in weight between the two.

Last edited by Nick7274; 05-31-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several scopes with illuminated reticles. If I am not shooting in daylight conditions, and the target is dark or camouflaged by background, I find the illumination quite valuable. My indoor range is pretty dark and I have a large supply of splatter sight - in targets with black squares. Even when aiming for the white lines at the intersections, fine crosshairs can be difficult to see, at least with my old eyes. Lighting up the reticle removes one more distraction and reduces eye strain. The added weight hasn't been a problem for me and today's illuminated scopes are very battery-efficient, for the most part. YMMV
Old 06-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bump
Leupold has a nice battery saving feature in their IL scopes besides adjustable brightness way down for pred hunting at nite IME with a *few.

* five Leupold IL scopes past and present.