Cz vs T1x

Buying a new rifle

For those who have both, which one do you recommend

Always a cz fan but Iím seeing a lot of love for the tikka T1x too
Old 02-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Shooter92

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both the cz 452 and the t1x and to me accuracy is the same both have shot multiple sub .25 inch groups at 50 yards
But as far as the 455-457 CZ i think the tikka t1x is superior accuracy wise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Tikka is a better shooting rifle/better rifle ,they are plenty experience with accuracy problems in the 455 and 457s cz the fanatics will say it is rare but it's more common lately. Tikka may not have a wood stock or sights if that matters . If accuracy matters tikka is the answer in my experience from shooting both.

Last edited by jagerman; 02-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 08:44 PM
transalp1961

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Accuracy

My 455s shoot right at 1" at 50 yards with target grade ammo, which is the CZ accuracy standard. I believe the Tikka has the same accuracy standard. Some, if not most, probably shoot better than 1".

There are reports here of some excellent shooting 455s and 457s but mine just meet the standard.

The new 457 MTR has a better accuracy standard of 1/2". Another interesting rifle is the Keystone 722, which also has an accuracy standard of 1/2".

Howa has a new rimfire rifle coming out, it will be interesting to see how it performs. My Howa centerfire rifles outshoot all my other rifles, which includes CZs, Tikkas, Remingtons, and Rugers.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll second the Keystone 722. Although I think the 455-7 looks gorgeous, the 722 just lobs CCI SV into nice tight little groups at 50 yards.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:23 PM
transalp1961

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Keystone

My next purchase will be a Keystone 722. Well built, accurate, and make here in the USA.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have both and out of the box my Tikka was more accurate. There are more/easier upgrades available for the 455 and 457 though. Depends on whether you like to tinker. That's why I have several CZ's, but only one Tikka.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:59 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both 455(3) and t1x (1). They both have their pluses and minuses. I would first recommend that you handle them both and see which gun seems to fit you the best. My T1x shot better out of the box, but with a few tweeks my 455 shoots tighter groups now. They both get time out in the field, but I enjoy shooting my 455 more than my t1x. It has nothing to do with accuracy, just the way it feels. In general, I do not think that you could go wrong with either one, and that it really boils down to personal choice. What model of CZ are you looking at (tikka only has 1 model)? What will the rifle be used for? Which rifle seems to fit you the best? Which rifle best addresses its most likely use? Really, I would stop looking for either validation or decisions by others and focus more on your own judgement and preference. in the end, you can always sell and buy the other one or by both (the likely scenario!) Burt
Old 02-06-2020, 12:36 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prairie maggot offers sound advice regarding rifle choice. I have two 452s, American & Full Stock, and one T1x. Frankly, they all shoot neck & neck in my hands. Some days one shoots one or more ammo better than the other, and other days the results are reversed. But their overall averages across multiple mid-grade ammo (CCI SV, Tac 22, SK+, etc.) are within 0.06" of each other at 50 yards.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$$=Vudoo
Old 02-06-2020, 11:02 AM
RickBaum
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Until 2 days ago I couldn't have given an opinion on the T1X. I own and have worked on several 457's, but now I've worked on a T1X.

Both rifles are very similar as far as bolt lift, switch barrel design, adjustable trigger, bolt removal/retention, etc. However, in almost every aspect, the CZ is better or refined in my opinion.

Bolt lifts are 50 and 60 degrees.. That's a push.

Switch barrel design.. I feel that the CZ is MUCH easier on the first go round. After that it's a push. 2 grub screws vs 3.

Adjustable triggers on both.. CZ wins hands down on this one. The CZ trigger is a 3 way adjustable trigger. The Tikka only adjust in pull weight. CZ's can be adjusted down to ~1 pound pretty easily, Tikka's lower limit is ~2 lbs. CZ wins here.

Bolt removal and retention.. Both rifles utilize a rocker type switch to hold the bolt in place. I like the feel of the CZ mechanism, its a little lighter which puts less drag on the bolt when cycling. Edge to CZ here, but it's really not a big deal.

Besides the trigger being better in the CZ, the bolt operation is much smoother than the Tikka as well. I'm sure that anyone would be fine with either, I just have a LOT of trigger time behind a 457, so operating the bolt really stood out to me.

Internal vs exposed striker/firing pin design. I thought that the Tikka had an interesting firing pin design. It reminded me of my Anschutz 64 design. The Tikka has a short firing pin in the nose of the bolt which is held in place by a pin. The firing pin is struck by a striker. What I thought that Tikka did well on is the tip of the pin and placement of the strike on the rim when fired. It strikes just inside the rim, whereas the CZ strikes more traditionally across the rim. Also, the CZ has an exposed striker that rides in a groove along the top of the bolt. Although I haven't had any issues with it, I like the internal design of the Tikka.

For bolt/striker design, I like Tikka a little better.

Accuracy is a push. Both rifles have typical mass produced rifle accuracy. There is a bell curve to out of the box accuracy when it comes to a low cost mass produced rifle. There will be exceptions of very good accuracy and some duds. Most will be in the .3 to .5" groups at 50 part of the curve.

Stocks... Do you prefer plastic or wood?

Bottom metal.. Plastic or metal? CZ gets the nod with a nice 2 piece metal design.

The Tikka barrel that I had in hand was threaded for a supressor. It had a plastic thread protector. CZ's come with a metal one. Either works for it's intended purpose, but I prefer the CZ metal one.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaum View Post
Until 2 days ago I couldn't have given an opinion on the T1X. I own and have worked on several 457's, but now I've worked on a T1X.

Both rifles are very similar as far as bolt lift, switch barrel design, adjustable trigger, bolt removal/retention, etc. However, in almost every aspect, the CZ is better or refined in my opinion.

Switch barrel design.. I feel that the CZ is MUCH easier on the first go round. After that it's a push. 2 grub screws vs 3.

Adjustable triggers on both.. CZ wins hands down on this one. The CZ trigger is a 3 way adjustable trigger. The Tikka only adjust in pull weight. CZ's can be adjusted down to ~1 pound pretty easily, Tikka's lower limit is ~2 lbs. CZ wins here.

Bolt removal and retention.. Both rifles utilize a rocker type switch to hold the bolt in place. I like the feel of the CZ mechanism, its a little lighter which puts less drag on the bolt when cycling. Edge to CZ here, but it's really not a big deal.

Besides the trigger being better in the CZ, the bolt operation is much smoother than the Tikka as well. I'm sure that anyone would be fine with either, I just have a LOT of trigger time behind a 457, so operating the bolt really stood out to me.

Internal vs exposed striker/firing pin design. I thought that the Tikka had an interesting firing pin design. It reminded me of my Anschutz 64 design. The Tikka has a short firing pin in the nose of the bolt which is held in place by a pin. The firing pin is struck by a striker. What I thought that Tikka did well on is the tip of the pin and placement of the strike on the rim when fired. It strikes just inside the rim, whereas the CZ strikes more traditionally across the rim. Also, the CZ has an exposed striker that rides in a groove along the top of the bolt. Although I haven't had any issues with it, I like the internal design of the Tikka.

Accuracy is a push. Both rifles have typical mass produced rifle accuracy. There is a bell curve to out of the box accuracy when it comes to a low cost mass produced rifle. There will be exceptions of very good accuracy and some duds. Most will be in the .3 to .5" groups at 50 part of the curve.

Bottom metal.. Plastic or metal? CZ gets the nod with a nice 2 piece metal design.

The Tikka barrel that I had in hand was threaded for a supressor. It had a plastic thread protector. CZ's come with a metal one. Either works for it's intended purpose, but I prefer the CZ metal one.
Rick I'm with you Sir but you've just made a couple of enemies from our selection of mindless haters I'm afraid.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Shooter92

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaum View Post

With two days of experience i really dont think you are giving the t1x a fair chance

Old 02-06-2020, 12:43 PM
RickBaum
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter92 View Post
With two days of experience i really dont think you are giving the t1x a fair chance

Hey Shooter.. I thought that I was being fair and unobjective. How long does it take to notice obvious differences in function? What part of my evaluation requires more than a day to see or feel a difference?

I stated that the Tikka was the first I've worked on. Its not the first Ive held or been around.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 PM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good fair and accurate detail comparison in my mind.