1416 accuracy vs others - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a 457 ProVarmint, 455 American, 1903 MSR and a 64 Silhouette. My 457 shoots great and is dedicated to the bench for groundhog shoots. The only work I did to it was have the action bedded. The 1903 is dedicated for off hand shooting and also shoots great. Now here is the plus about the 1903. The trigger is absolutely amazing. Two stage set at 4oz 4oz for both stages. It took a little getting used to because there is no trigger stop. I had the action bedded before I ever shot the rifle so I cannot attest to the out of box accuracy but it shoots.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM
JohnTheFisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4B1DM4U53 View Post
More for the OP, but take this for what it's worth. When one looks at the equipment lists for BR competitions, Lilja barrels are largely absent. I've got a couple Liljas that shoot quite well, and I've got one that shoots so poorly Lilja has agreed to replace it. There are a few reports here on RFC of people being less than satisfied with their barrels from Lilja.

I don't want to look down on Lilja barrels, as their customer service to me has been excellent. I'll just put it out there that when it comes to match rimfire barrels, one should do their research and see what the "Top Dogs" are using. High quality rimfire barrels are a tricky thing to produce, and the more "high volume" the production of them becomes, the greater the chance that the outcome is less than ideal.
Thatís a good thought. I havenít been looking extensively into barrels but from the small amount of research Iíve done the lilja seems to be heals in pretty high regard and fits. I rly within my budget.
Thanks again to everyone for all the input.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 AM
JohnTheFisherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have any real world experience with the 1761 models? Not a whole lot out there on them especially on the 22lr models.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:03 AM
Asar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the best video I could find of someone shooting groups with the 1761 in 22lr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNZYJ7hxZE
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheFisherman View Post

Avoiding the crap shoot is what I’m after and why I’m leaning heavily towards the anschutz.
That's not how it works. Accuracy is a crapshoot. No two shoot the same. That's why we experiment with ammo...Tom
Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Accuracy is a crapshoot but I'll put my money on Anschutz. I've owned and shot a lot of rifles over the years and percentage wise I'll choose Anschutz over any of the other brands.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 AM
nytrashman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
last year i bought a 1416 direct from ANA. the gun did not shoot very well right out of the box. i tried everything, different ammo, different torque setting, barrel tuner etc. finally i called ANA and sent the gun back so they could look at it. they replaced the barrel under warranty and the gun shot much better. i would say it shot equal to if not better then my CZ 457 Varmint. i then bought a 1903 MSR which is one of my most accurate guns. prior to ANA shippng this gun i had then epoxy bed the action to the stock. i was so impressed with the MSR i ordered a 1903 match barreled action and put it in an SBR stock i had. this stock had another 64 barreled action in it that ANA also epoxy bedded for me. this is another excellent shooting rifle. at this point having two 1903's i sold my 1416 and immediately regretted it. i then bought a 1416 from ANA Custom Shop. this rifle was also epoxy bedded prior to shipping. right out of the box this gun shot as good as my MSR. i work at a gun range and have seen and shot many 54 action Anschutz rifles and i can tell you the three 64 action rifles i have will shoot off the bench as well as most 54 action rifles. yes there are some 54's that will out shoot my 64's but on the whole a good 64 will shoot as well as a 54. the main difference between the 54 and 64 action rifles is the 54's have a much better two stage trigger. i am not saying the 5098 two stage trigger the 64's have are bad because they aren't but the two stage 54 action trigger is much nicer. if i were to do it all over again i would not change a thing, i would still purchase the three 64 action Anschutz rifles i have again. finally i think having all three of my guns epoxy bedded right from the factory has helped significantly in improving there accuracy.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's true that accuracy is a crapshoot, but you can improve your odds by purchasing better quality. And while it is true that a specific example of a 64 action may indeed out shoot a specific example a 54 action, the average 54 action should be more accurate than the average 64 action. In our club matches, over time it was found that the 54 actions tended to be the winners. That's talking about average, not the exceptions. I remember Evelio McDonald having a little 64 gun that shot really well.

If accuracy is my goal in a newer factory rifle (don't discount some of the older factory rifles like the Rem 40X, Winchester 52, etc.), then I would buy Anschutz. If you can find someone with an exceptional 64 action gun willing to sell, then well and good; otherwise you are at the mercy of luck of the draw. If money is not a limiting factory, then I would buy a "54" action. If money is a limiting factor, then get the 64 action or look for a good Rem 40X or Winchester 52. After all that, buy the best ammo you can afford and lot test for accuracy in your gun.

Good luck......
Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m strictly a recreational shooter and my rifles are all sporters. I’m content to shoot run of the mill ammo like CCI and Aguila. I don't shoot quite as well as I did in my younger days but I still do OK. I have fun and that's what matters.

All three of my 1416 rifles shoot equally well for me. I’m VERY pleased with their accuracy.
I don’t see much difference in accuracy between my 64 and 54 actions in both .22 LR and .22 WMR. Some days I shoot better with the 54 actions, other days the 64 actions will shoot smaller groups for me. All have great triggers, some single, some double stage.
I prefer to hunt with a 64 action because of the lighter weight.

I do enjoy shooting my 54 actions but are they worth twice the cost of a 64 action? That's a personal choice.
Granted, the 54 actions feel smoother but performance wise I’m not seeing a huge difference on paper.
54 or 64, I like them both.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:10 PM
AIRGUNSHAWN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheFisherman View Post
Help an anschutz noob out here if you would.

I’m about to invest a chunk of my bonus on a 22. My 3 choices are the anschutz 1416 (A1416AVBTX)...the new bergara b-14r that hasn’t been released yet, and a cz457 with an upgraded Lilja barrel. My question is this...accuracy is the bottom line and biggest factor in deciding. The 1416 is not exactly a top of the line anschutz but how will it stack up in terms of accuracy with the other mentioned rifles? i know the bergara’s accuracy is to be determined but it’s in the same price range so I’m assuming it will be a decent shooter. My concern is this... will a lower end anschutz be as good or better than a lesser brand’s better models given all variables are the same. I’ll be using the rifle for nrl22 style matches and bench shooting.
John,
It kind of sounds like you need a repeater and not a single shot. I happen to have two 1416s. One with the thumbhole stock and one with the Beavertail ( 1416AVBT ). They both shoot very well. The 1416s come with a 5098 trigger that is set from the factory to 6.3 oz. It will only go down about another 0.3 oz. The magazines are expensive and kind of a pain to remove. I have seen an extended mag release but have not bought one yet. You should check the magazine price on any rifle before you buy the gun. You will probably want to change the bolt knob on the Annie as well because the plastic balls stink.
I have three CZ 457s. All of mine shoot really well with the stock bbl. I have an MTR, At-One and a Royal with a pencil bbl. If you change the trigger spring, lap the trigger sear with 3 micron lapping film and adjust the trigger, you can easily get your triggers down to 10 oz. The 457 trigger is very simple for anyone to modify.
I sent a trigger kit to a friend ( KissofDeath ) a week ago and his trigger is breaking at a safe 6 oz. and passing his bump test. I would highly suggest the AREA 419 scope rail and bolt knob. It totally enhances the feel of the rifle. You may also want to look at the extended mag release that Anarchy Outdoors have. They are about .5" longer than stock. DIP's extended release is about .09" longer and hardly worth getting. Both types are about 20.00$
You should check the NRL rules to make sure that you can make changes to your rifle depending on what class you are going to shoot in.
My same friend, "KOD" has a B14R and is having trouble with changing his trigger. The standard trigger isn't very good. He has tried a Trigger Tech Diamond and an Elfman. He would be good to talk to about the B14R. I would wait until the bugs are out of the Bergara. It's action and mag may look like my Vudoo but they are not even close in terms of quality or performance. KOD is on this site and Snipers Hide.

Bottom line....get the Annie. BTW: when you look at any Annie, be very careful which trigger is in it. The 5098 is a great mdl. It's pull weight is about 175 gm to 450 gm. Only the 5018 is better. My warning is: some of the triggers will have a minimum trigger pull that is much higher than you will want. It may go from 1000 grams. to 2000 grams.

Last edited by AIRGUNSHAWN; 02-05-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling and info.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM
horseman2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I have spent on 22 rifles I should have bought a 1712 or 1710 ten years ago.

Bought four Cz's and have one 455 American left.

There have been others but buy 10 and cry 10 times versus buy one Anschutz and smile forever. Hopefully the Cooper 57M JSR will release me of all the other symptoms.

I do have an Anschutz 1416D and unless someone pays the piper it will be kept. Great rifle and with a trigger adjusted to one pound it will always make itself proud in our 100 yard/Metre shoots.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John.

When it comes to shooting wee dots, within my own club apart from a couple of custom rifles, itís Anschutz 54ís (new and older models) and a couple of older Walter match rifles.

Donít overlook a used 54, mine is 40 years old with a 5018 trigger, wouldn't change it for anything.

Happy hunting.

Giz
Old 02-13-2020, 08:28 AM
Dave64

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PLEASE AN ACCURACY REPORT!

This is killing me the B14R hit Canada for about a week now and I would imagine there through out the states what the h#ll is everyone doing just polishing them showing the neighbours? Is it a secret!
Someone PLEASE! with an expectation better then .5 to be an excellent peace, shoot and tell please!
Money in hand just not buying one, this could be another 457 storey.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave64 View Post
This is killing me the B14R hit Canada for about a week now and I would imagine there through out the states what the h#ll is everyone doing just polishing them showing the neighbours? Is it a secret!
Someone PLEASE! with an expectation better then .5 to be an excellent peace, shoot and tell please!
Money in hand just not buying one, this could be another 457 storey.
It sounds like you're interested in a comparison between an Anschutz and the new Bergara B14 .22LR now available. Since you are in Canada, a good comparison would probably be the Anschutz MPR and the Bergara.

In Canada the Anschutz MPR is priced similarly with the Bergara. The German-made rifle is $1549, while the (made in America?) Bergara is $1499 CAD.

The MPR is a 64 action rifle with a heavy Anschutz-made 65 cm (25.6 in.) barrel. It has a beavertail forestock with a rail. It has the 5098 trigger that is adjustable and is set at the factory at 180 grams (6.3 ounces).

I don't know very much about the Bergara B14 .22LR. In the United States it is much less expensive than the Anschutz MPR. It goes for under $1000 USD, while the MPR is about $1399 USD ($1853 CAD). It's barrel is Bergara-made but it's may not be possible yet to know how well it shoots. The Bergara factory trigger is heavier than the MPR's the but it's replaceable with aftermarket triggers that may be available in Canada.

Here's the MPR below.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
Poffels

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the last outing with our ANSCHUTZ 1416 D HB THUMBHOLE 23" barrel.
Shot by my wife with front rst and rear bag. It shoots BBM at 1/3 rd the cost of Center X just as well. It's on the never sell list.