Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:25 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New High Standard X-Series Guns

I called Alan Aronstein from India to tell him to set aside one of the new X-Series guns for me, and I called him last week to see if he could make it easier to rack the slide. The new gun arrived today. I need to get out my lights, etc., to take proper photos of the gun, but this image comes pretty close.

I'm thrilled with everything I've been learning about the gun. A few months ago, I was seriously considering buying a Pardini. Those thoughts vanished when I picked up this gun this morning at the FFL. I have yet to see what the gun can do in my hands. I hope to find out tomorrow.

I love how smoothly everything works. I like the accessory Alan designed to make it easier to rack the slide, even while thinking it's ugly. I like that Alan told me I can dry-fire the gun all I want for practice. The fellow at the FFL who opened the box first thought the gun looked stunning. To me, buying this gun for bullseye shooting is like buying a Leica for photography.

I told Alan what kind of rail I was looking for - the rail he found me, something he made a long time ago, is perfect. The red dot sight will be as low as the custom rail Roddy Toyota made me for my Victor.

Changes I would love to see - for starters, make the "X-Series" lettering gold, like was done to the Victors long ago. And make the lever to rack the slide either gold (as the fellow at the FFL suggested), or black (what I prefer).

Roddy Toyota spent weeks making the Victor I bought as close to "perfect" as he knows how. Alan and his technicians did things to get the same effect - everything I love about my Victor seems the same in the X-Series. Or put very simply, both feel as good as anything I've ever felt in a Bullseye gun.

Two photos below, one just the way the gun came, and the other with a Matchdot II sight on it. I think my Aimpoint might be better, and lighter, but I need one more of them!

Old 02-04-2020, 03:43 AM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice looking pistol and with a gold 10X and cocking lever it would then be perfect.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:08 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Do some Google searches. There are a number of ways you can do the gold lettering yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 PM
mr alexander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New High Standard X-Series Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
Do some Google searches. There are a number of ways you can do the gold lettering yourself.
For gold lettering kits, go to Brownells Website and search for the following:

319-056-000WB and 517-100-003WB

I have never used either product, so can not comment on how well they work

or hold up over the long haul. Worth a try?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
How does it shoot?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:06 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
How does it shoot?
Everything else going equal, I think it shoots noticeably better than any of my other 22 guns, not to forget that so far it has been 100% reliable which was my biggest concern. I didn't like the weight of the Matchdot II sight, as my hand started to quiver after a while, so I tried a lighter sight (Bushnell) today, but then I could barely see the red dot. I put my Aimpoint on it tonight, and weather permitting, I'll try it out again tomorrow. I'll post a photo of my target as well. At 25 yards, I was getting 8 rounds in the 10-ring, many of those in the X-ring, and two in the 9-ring. For me, that's pretty good.

Everything else being equal, it is better (for me) than my Model 41, my Nelson kit, or my rather old High Standard. I could shoot it slightly better than the restored Victor I bought from Roddy Toyota, but those targets are almost as good.

Most importantly, to me, is that so far it has been completely reliable. I've been using Eley ammo bought through the CMP program, and it'w wonderful to have a gun that I can trust to shoot every time, no mis-fires so far, no mis-feeds, no excuses, no mistakes.

Also, for dry-firing, for reasons that I don't understand, I have a black circle on the wall designed to appear the same size as my B-8 target, and it is getting easier to keep all the "hits" someplace near the middle of the black. The gun just feel balanced so well, and while I don't know WHY it feels that way, the trigger (to me) feels better than any other gun I own.

With my previous High Standard, I would try to start putting pressure on the trigger as I was starting to aim, but likely as not, the gun fired too soon. With this gun, I can start to build up the pressure AS I'M AIMING (just as Brian Zins suggests) and applying the pressure almost seems to help aiming the gun - everything works together SO nicely. It's a whole new sensation for me on a 22.

This was even better tonight in dry-fire, after mounting the Aimpoint. Maybe the gun is getting lighter, or maybe I'm getting used to the weight, or maybe my hand/wrist/arm/shoulder are getting stronger, but day after day, the gun in constantly getting "better".

I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow. I'll also check out the kit for changing the lettering to gold. I've got lots of time. I'll also take a photo of my targets.

...........and before I forget, it is SO NICE to be able to rack the slide comfortably.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
How does it shoot?
Every time I go to the range, it shoots better.
Even my Victor with steel sights is shooting better!

Either they are improving, or I am. :-)

When I'm happy with some targets, I'll post them.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 AM
roycpo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to roycpo
Nice shot and perfect focusing the guns but I suggest you to use properly a solid color background for your images and seriously this will increase your photos attractiveness in a high level.

You can do this by yourself and on the other hand you can't, then just higher an online photo ediitng firm and use their free trial option.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:20 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's interesting that dry-firing is ok with this pistol. It's been some years since I owned a High-Standard, but wasn't that a no-no on the original ones?
Old 02-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
How is reliability?
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycpo View Post
Nice shot and perfect focusing the guns but I suggest you to use properly a solid color background for your images and seriously this will increase your photos attractiveness in a high level.

You can do this by yourself and on the other hand you can't, then just higher an online photo ediitng firm and use their free trial option.
Thanks - I have all the photo-editing software I need, and then some. I've got Photoshop, Lightroom, PhotoLab 3, Nik Collection, and a lot more.

I will do as you suggest. I'm usually in too much of a hurry. I just put things on my floor or something, and use my iPhone to take the photo. I should also use my "real" camera. Starting today, I'll take "proper" photos. I don't have the lighting I use overseas, but I guess I'll sort that out as well.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
That's interesting that dry-firing is ok with this pistol. It's been some years since I owned a High-Standard, but wasn't that a no-no on the original ones?
Alan assured me that dry-firing is no problem, so I've been doing that for hours every day. I assume he adjusts the gun such that the firing pin does NOT hit anything in a way that could cause damage.

My old High Standard works the same way - no problems.

The people at Clarks assured me that with their new barrel, I can dry-fire my S&W 41 as much as I want.

On the other hand, Roddy Toyota told me to NEVER dry-fire my Victor, unless I have a "chamber plug" in place.

Whatever Alan does to achieve this, it makes a huge difference to me. I learn more from dry-firing than from live-firing, and with the X-Series, I can do it "forever".
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
How is reliability?
With two exceptions, reliability is 100%.

Exception #1 - if I don't release the slide properly, sometimes it doesn't push the first round into the chamber. I can hear the difference. If I release the slide cleanly, without it rubbing on my fingers, it always works.

Exception #2 - after shooting probably 100 rounds two days ago with no problems, one round didn't fire. I'm not sure why - I brought it home, and just now took a photo of it. Maybe the photo will explain what happened..... but all the other rounds, well over 100, fired with no problem.

https://www.dropshots.com/MikeMyers/...02-15/09:36:32
Old 02-15-2020, 04:08 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post

Whatever Alan does to achieve this, it makes a huge difference to me. I learn more from dry-firing than from live-firing, and with the X-Series, I can do it "forever".
I agree, I love being able to dry-fire my handguns for practice, I have dry-fired my Ruger MKII pistols countless times. I don't dry-fire my Smith & Wesson model 41. Some say it's ok, and others say not to, Smith & Wesson says not to. I had accidentally dry-fired my old High Standard Citation from around 1975 production a couple of times and it left a dent on the chamber so I never did it again.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Looking at the photo you linked:
It looks to me that there is something wrong with the firing pin strike if that strike on the cartridge has come from a High Standard gun.
The line of the strike should point through the center of the cartridge.
It seems to me that either someone has put in a non-standard firing pin or you have a broken firing pin.