Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:35 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
58X Series Trigger Mount, OOPS!

58x series Triggers are definately known for a weak spot, the trigger mounting post. I already had one 580 receiver sitting with the post broke off from when I got it but then I was working down a 580 trigger on my last build and wouldn't you know it, snapped it off. You would have thought they would have mounted them better.

I went over to my uncle's shop and welded them both back on and cut everything back on the mill but still had to spend more time fitting things. I'm lucky that I can do it but I wonder how many of these have been junked because of this? I doubt these 2 rifles will every have this problem again as they are rock solid now.

On a good note I have the trigger on my 580 Build dropping at about a 8oz average. I added the overtravel screw, sear engagement screw, polished everything and resprung it. Surprising though as i didn't change the pivot point, it just responded well to the other work.

Any of you have an action sitting with the trigger post broke off?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:42 AM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been careful so no problem here.

John
Old 01-30-2020, 02:17 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I got some what lucky when I snapped mine. I asked for help on a FB page I belong to, that is more military, LE and defensive gun oriented. A smith that is known for 1911 and revolver work, said he would take a shot at it. For a total of about $50 including return shipping, he was able "micro tig weld" it back.

Later another smith was correcting some random odd stuff that was wrong with gun, said it was about 20 thousands(?) off and shimmed it.

I know Voelker was the go to guy for these actions, not sure if there is anyone else these days. Kinda why I'm leaning toward a T1X for the next bolt gun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 02:27 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
My gunsmith broke the 581 I had re barreled to 17HM2. He was doing a trigger mod to add adjustment screws. I was surprised because he had worked on those models for the silhouette guys over the years and should have known better. He silver brazed it back on and so far no problems. Been several years.
I have had maybe 12 581's, 582's, 591's, 592's, 788's and that is the only one to get a broken trigger lug or bolt handle.

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 01-31-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:28 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'll bet over the last 5-6 years I have taken triggers off of the 581, 580's and 540 series rifle 100plus times. These were both club guns and who knows how much they were beat around. I tried to baby them but still snapped them off. I don't tig weld so just hit them with a wire welder and dealt with the work of cleaning it up. Just finished cleaning the second one up and the trigger fits geat.

Hush, I was just counting back and I believe I have had
6 or 7 581's
3 582's
6 580's
1 591
And worked on a few 540, 582 and 581's for other people. Pulled triggers off of every one and several of them many, many times while building rifles or tuning triggers. I guess I'm pretty fortunate.

Bob, I keep saying I'm going to switch to a different action to build on but keep finding these. I bought a Tikka but it shoots pretty darn good for squirrel hunting. Maybe this spring when I can really get out and shoot it a lot I will fit another barrel to it.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:38 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
When I broke mine on one of my 540's I drilled and tapped and machined a post screwed into the receiver. Takes a bit of measuring but is rock solid. If I were to break another I'd repair it the same way.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree wkd. I have not broken one yet but if I did this would be a very solid fix.

John
Old 02-05-2020, 04:23 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
When I broke mine on one of my 540's I drilled and tapped and machined a post screwed into the receiver. Takes a bit of measuring but is rock solid. If I were to break another I'd repair it the same way.
I think that is by far the best do it yourself option. I don't think I could weld or braze one back on.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:57 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
WKD, I actually thought about doing that but this worked well. If it ever happens again I may give the bolt method a try.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you guys talking about that post that sticks down below the receiver about where the bolt handle would be? I have a 582 that the trigger assy is loose on the receiver and was wondering what to do about it if anything.

On another issue, I am planning on using a socket head for the front post (I've already got it made) and drilling through the front trigger plate where that little screw is to clear out for a #12-24 socket head. I found some on amazon for about $20 for 25 of them 1.5" long, SS. Is there a problem drilling and tapping the receiver under the bolt in that area, just in front of the trigger so I can have 2 mounting points?

I should probably make a new thread instead of hyjacking this one.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:34 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
DogT The tiny set screw on the front of the trigger housing pushes up against the action. This forces the trigger housing to pivot on the cross pin and will tighten the housing and remove the play in the housing. Just be careful and don't overtighten that screw, snug is enough. The most used place to add a second action screw is where the small screw in the middle of the trigger guard is located. That is where Remington put it on the late model 541's that use the same action. Only problem is screw length but that is easy to fix. If you intend to remove the trigger housing from your action to do this work be very carful when removing the cross pin. Loosen the front set screw in the trigger housing and support the housing when you drive out the cross pin or risk breaking off the lug. That is what started this thread!
I see that you have a 582 so I am not sure about the placement of the second action screw or if it is needed since you have the lug under the barrel?

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 02-12-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:36 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That tiny screw in the front of the trigger assy is staked in pretty good on mine. Not sure I want to mess with it a whole bunch. Assy is not that loose, but rocks a bit.

Yeah, on the 582 there's the tiny screw that's in the same place as the 581's middle tiny screw. My 582 receiver is still loose in the stock with just the lug screw since I've free floated the barrel. It looks like I could add another right where that front tiny screw is on my 582 but I would have to drill and tap a hole less than 1" in front of the trigger assy. I'd say about 3/8" in front of it but I would have to drill through the stock under that plate and mark where it comes out on the receiver. I'm assuming the hole through the receiver wouldn't affect the bolt as long as the screw didn't protrude into the receiver channel.

I may play around with that staked screw and see if I can get it working better without messing things up. It looks like there's a lug off the receiver that has a cross pin that holds the trigger assy in. But without taking the trigger assy off, that lug doesn't look too fragile, but it's hard to see with the assy in place. I have the pdf with the parts blowup but it doesn't show that lug very good. It's under the receiver about where the bolt handle would be.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:30 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
That is correct about the lug. The lug is somehow just brazed or silver brazed onto the action from what I have read. Hit it from the side trying to drive the pin out and they are relatively easy to break off. The staked screw in the from of the housing should move fairly easy with a proper fitting screwdriver. They are staked but the pot metal housing is not very hard so the staked screw is usually easy to turn and restake or Loctite in place. I have messed with 5 or 10 of them with no problems.