Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Tomjohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Box Magazine Feeding Curiosity - Model 152

I was having periodic feeding problems with an original box magazine in a 152. After trying several adjustments, I finally found the problem. I was loading CCI Mini-Mag hollowpoints and they were hanging up on the round below them. It seems the case rims were occasionally stacking behind the rim below them. Then, because the lower shell would hit the front of the inside of the magazine, it would lock up the feeding round. The problem seemed to be that the box magazine had too much room for the Mini-Mags, so a lower round rim would occasionally slip in front of the rim of the feeding round. It's a little hard to describe, but from stripping rounds from the magazine, it was evident.

So I loaded some Federal round nose, which are about 1/16 longer than the hollowpoints, and they fed without a hitch. This may be a common problem, but I had never run across it before.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:54 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I also hav had this problem, but its an easy fix. Glad you solved your problem
Old 02-10-2020, 02:18 AM
Tomjohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, after doing some Internet research, I discovered this is called 'rim lock' or 'rimlock'. It happens with some frequency with single-stack magazines and rimmed shells. It's more common in the smaller calibers, and typically in semi-autos (bolt actions have enough strength to override it). In some magazine designs, the angle of the follower overcomes this tendency, and it happens when the magazine is deep enough (front to back) to allow the following round to slip in front of the top round. I'm surprised I have never come across this before. Ya learn something new every day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Just some Trivia! This first occurred in the Gatling gun in 45-70 caliber. If you watch Westerns next time there is a Gatling gun watch the shooter constantly tap the side of the stick magazine. It was gravity feed and the Rims would constantly bind