Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:06 AM
ilmonster
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen hammer compatability

I have a MKIII 22/45 that I have so far installed a Tandemkross hammer bushing in and Volquartsen sear. Magazines now fly out when the button is pushed, and the trigger pull is better than stock (with a very positive reset/click).

As I have recently begun shooting in a bullseye league, Id like a better feeling trigger. Although the trigger breaks cleanly, I can feel the sear dragging/rubbing against the hammer when pulling the trigger. I have taken the internals apart a time or two and cleaned and lubricated the sear/hammer contact surfaces. I was wondering if replacing the factory hammer with a Volquartsen MKIII hammer would improve things? It looks to be a lightened hammer, which doesnt affect me (not looking for quicker lock times), but Im hoping would make for a cleaner trigger pull with the VQ sear and TK hammer bushing?

Also, anyone experienced any issues with a VQ sear and hammer along with the TK bushing? Thanks!

p.s. the MKIII hammers are also on sale for $20 right now
p.p.s. those older retired guys shooting bullseye are really good, rimfire or centerfire. They're the ones to beat!

Last edited by ilmonster; 02-03-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmonster
As I have recently begun shooting in a bullseye league, Id like a better feeling trigger. Although the trigger breaks cleanly, I can feel the sear dragging/rubbing against the hammer when pulling the trigger.
What you're describing is creep.

Unfortunately, every manufacturer of MKIII bushings made them with a 3/8" shoulder. While they do allow removal of the mag safety, they also induce a large amount of creep. This creep doesn't really make much difference to speed shooters, like Steel Challenge. But it's really terrible for anyone shooting in Bullseye competitions.

You need to get a MKII style bushing. They have larger 7/16" shoulders which minimize creep. They also allow for no mag disconnect. The only thing they lack is the little "filler washer" that fits in the slot cut into the MKIII hammers. Many people use the MKII bushing with the MKIII hammer and report no problem with doing so. But if the gap in the hammer cut bothers you - you can add a filler washer or change to a MKII style hammer.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:43 PM
ilmonster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, Volquartsen sells a MKII hammer that comes with a bushing. I assume being with the MKII hammer, it would be a MKII bushing that would minimize the creep I'm experiencing?

Or it sounds like I could keep my VQ sear, and put the original magazine disconnect spring and bushing back in which would reduce the creep? The mag. simply wouldn't come flying out like it does now, right?

Last edited by ilmonster; 02-03-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your understanding is correct. You can get the VQ hammer & bushing as a set, but you really only need the bushing. You can get one here:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...uct_Code=VC2HB

I like Rimfiresports because they don't add any shipping charges.

And yes, you could put the Ruger mag disconnect safety and bushing back in to reduce creep. The disconnect has the same 7/16" shoulder. If the aftermarket MKIII bushing makers had bothered to measure one, maybe they would have produced a better product. As it is with a MKIII bushing installed, it's only the thumb safety providing any creep limiting. But that was never the intent when Ruger designed it. It's only supposed to block the sear.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:04 PM
ilmonster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T. Engineer, thanks for the information. I've ordered a MKII bushing, and will try both it and the original bushing and spring and see which give a better trigger pull and report back.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:04 PM
ilmonster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Test Engineer, many thanks for the suggestion! Got the MKII bushing from Rimfire Sports (great place to deal with) yesterday and just installed it in lieu of my MK III bushing. I now have a short, crisp trigger pull. It's so nice, I didn't even try to reinstall the OE magazine disconnect spring, bushing and stamped steel piece to see if it would be a better trigger pull. Plus, my magazines still come flying out!

Ready again for bullseye league on Monday! Great knowledge base here on RimfireCentral. Thanks again TE!

Last edited by ilmonster; 02-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.