Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Gun Cleaning Patches

5K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
I've used Sinclair 22 centerfire patches for nearly 30 years. I'm almost out of them so I go to Sinclair's site (Brownells) and find that their brand patches are discontinued. In fact, many products are discontinued.

I'm not about to make my own patches because of the rate I use them. Any recommendations for a 22 centerfire patch are welcomed.

NO military patches. Tried them - awful.

Thanks

Pat G

#3 · (Edited)
l use these, l know you don't want to cut, but these 3" square patches will give you 4 22 patches out of one 3". or you could cut them in 1/3rds strips depends on the jug you are using, with 500 count 1/4 them 2000 patches or 1/3 1500 patches either for about $17.00 dollars been doing this over 10 years, You could again cut them down to 17cal. it.s endless. l to clean a lot.

l Don't like knitted patches you will get a wedges in the barrel, stick to straight flannel, and there handy used full size for other cleaning.

lf this isn't for you could be of help for others, big savings.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_...d=263471181221&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46251

#4 ·
l use these, l know you don't want to cut, but these 3" square patches will give you 4 22 patches out of one 3". or you could cut them in 1/3rds strips depends on the jug you are using, with 500 count 1/4 them 2000 patches or 1/3 1500 patches either for about $17.00 dollars been doing this over 10 years, You could again cut them down to 17cal. it.s endless. l to clean a lot.

l Don't like knitted patches you will get a wedges in the barrel, stick to straight flannel, and there handy used full size for other cleaning.

lf this isn't for you could be of help for some else, big savings.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_...d=263471181221&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46251
Met a guy once and he told me he used paper towels cut into small pieces. Said store bought patches were a waste of money.

#9 ·
I've always used Hoppe's patches. I get the ones made for .270-.35 caliber, as they work for all my guns; .22, .32, and .38. You get 650 patches for around $6.

I find Hoppe's .22 patches are really too small, and you only get 500 of them for the same price.

It was hard to find an actual .32 jag for my NAA Guardian. Best fit is a Tipton 8mm, which is still a bit loose. Using two patches together solves that.

#10 ·
.22 Patches

The Bore Tech and Pro Shot flannel square 1 1/8" for pull thru's and pointed jags for cleaning. However, I have noticed for JB treatment the twill cotton patches around a well worn brush do seem to work better for that type of treatment / application. At least..... for me. :t

#19 ·
I just finished a 35 gun detailed cleaning spree (rifles and pistols) and used a bunch of different brands of patches I had accumulated over the years. After finishing I have settled on either Pro-Shot or Bore Tech patches. Both are cotton flannel, come in a bunch of different sizes and I was very happy with how they held up and cleaned.

#20 ·
cleaning patchs

I have been using dewy round cleaning patches. i use 20 jag to put on solvent and then use 22 jag for cleaning. If use smaller jag for solvent more stays in barrel for soaking. I also use 20 cal rod to miss ejectors etc and dewy adapters for 22 jags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.