Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

BL-22 Trigger

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flycaster 
#1 ·
Hey, you rimfire rascals. I just shot my new-used BL-22 today, and it's terrific. The only thing I would alter is the trigger. It breaks cleanly, but I'd like it to be lighter. Is it reasonable to try to polish the sear, etc., on this rifle, or should I just leave adjustments to a gunsmith? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chuck

#3 ·
Here's my 2 cents worth:
First of all, I would resist the temptation to mess around with the sear cut in the hammer and be aware that this is not a user friendly gun to work on. On my own rifle I tweeked some springs and coated the trigger parts in the lever, sear and hammer notch with moly grease and would up with a nice 3 3/4# trigger pull. Sta-Lube extreme pressure anti-seize engine assembly lube is a good one. You can get a tube of it at Checker Auto.
I replaced the trigger return spring in the trigger guard with a much weaker one that just returns the trigger to it's at rest position. If I remember correctly I cut two turns off the mainspring and reground the end flat. You don't want to get carried away here - there are firing pin energy and lever return issues to be dealt with. You don't want to wind up with a weak firing pin strike. The main spring is also the lever return spring.
The good thing about this gun is that the trigger parts will wear in and burnish themselves together after 500 to 1000 shots and the trigger pull will improve on it's own.
If you work the trigger and notice it's geometry you will notice that it swings upward, not directly to the rear. I pull my BL-22's trigger slightly up rather than straight back like I do with my rifles with more conventional geometry. Pulling the trigger up is a kinda natural thing to do with a straight grip stock.
A tip for you if you're taking down a BL-22 for the first time:
After removing the obvious take down screw from the receiver on some of these guns you will swear there is another screw somewhere holding the inner receiver to the outer shell. It's just in there very tight. Remove the butt stock and grip the reduced section of the rear receiver in a soft jawed (preferably wood jawed) large vice and pull directly forward like crazy. Don't put the stock screw back in and pull on that - you can damage the threaded rear of the inner receiver housing. It will come apart with a strong pull. Don't wiggle the receiver up and down because ther is a straight pin at the front of the inner receiver that fits into the outer shell.
Hope this helps,
Charles/NM

#4 ·
Thanks, Charles. You've done a lot more than I plan on doing. Since I purchased my BL-22 used, I don't know how many rounds went through it. I'll just have to shoot the heck out of it myself! I've heard of putting a tiny amount of moly or lithium lube in to smooth out the trigger/sear action. Sounds good to me.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.