Where are all the cool unique guns comming from - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where are all the cool unique guns comming from

I hit pawn shops and gun shows and estate sales...All I ever see are 69As and 72s with side mount holes drilled, shortened stocks cut off barrels all for the bargain price of $400... "Those old Winchesters are getting rare and valuable in any condition"..............

I'm not talking about the finds on The auction sites or the classified sites...there are colletabels to be found there...also pricey. But I am talking about the great condition Target model finds and some of the great condition and rare finds that some of you are posting.

All I ever find at the pawn shop and estate sales are someone's messed up project guns...

I am off now to look for a lucky 4 leaf clover or a rabbits foot or a horse shoe...need some luck

Also please note, I am just whining....I am happy as can be that some one is finding these old guns and keeping them loved and cared for.

I'll keep looking...can't find em if you don't look for em....
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I hit pawn shops and gun shows and estate sales...All I ever see are 69As and 72s with side mount holes drilled, shortened stocks cut off barrels all for the bargain price of $400... "Those old Winchesters are getting rare and valuable in any condition"..............

I'm not talking about the finds on The auction sites or the classified sites...there are colletabels to be found there...also pricey. But I am talking about the great condition Target model finds and some of the great condition and rare finds that some of you are posting.

All I ever find at the pawn shop and estate sales are someone's messed up project guns...

I am off now to look for a lucky 4 leaf clover or a rabbits foot or a horse shoe...need some luck

Also please note, I am just whining....I am happy as can be that some one is finding these old guns and keeping them loved and cared for.

I have a very good friend on this Forum who has found several real nice guns for me on various websites. Like me, he is incapacitated to a degree and relies on the Net for some gun purchases.Auction Arms has been a great place to shop. Gun Broker too. You can deal with the sellers on that site. The last two rifles I bought after my buddy told me of them, I bought for 1/2 of what they were worth and both guns were super scarce. You just need a good eye and be somewhat educated in your particular collecting field. As for Pawn Shops, last year I bought a 6" vintage Python for $800. Now that's a deal. Big Larry
Old 12-04-2015, 11:13 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just keep looking,,,

Quote:
That's your best strategy.

I have a "circuit" of pawn shops I hit on a regular basis,,,
Even a few I've never found anything in as yet,,,
Because who knows, the next time I visit,,,
I might find that $95.00 wonder-gun.

It also helps to let the owner know what you look for,,,
I've had owners call me and ask if I wanted "first look" at a gun.

That's how I found that $100.00 Mossberg 320,,,
Masquerading as a Western-Field 815.

Aarond

Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where are all the cool unique guns comming from

One of my latest and nicest finds came from armslist,the great scam site! You never really know where they will turn up at,just have to keep looking.Ive also done fairly well with gunbroker and auction arms.

Last edited by arjay; 12-04-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:45 AM
wundudnee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have done pretty well at estate and garage sales. I found #1005 model 75 target with scope and peeps, model 56 .22 short and a nice 68 at different sales. I also found a fairly rare High Standard Natchez .22 revolver.

Many of my nicer Winchesters were found in Tulsa, not really cheap but available.

I've done well on Auction Arms and Gunbroker. Sometimes it takes years to find a specific model.

When I first started I tried to buy everything I saw. Now I'm getting more picky in my old age. I've bought a few "lessons", but I have sometimes done quite well.

I think finding the good stuff correlates with the time spent looking.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wundudnee View Post

I think finding the good stuff correlates with the time spent looking.
I think this sums it up...I have found some deals in my time...but mighty few of them were Winchesters. My latest 69A was a good deal on GB and my latest 67A was a great deal on GB....but as for loacal stuf....its been 10 years since I found a good deal on a Winchester. It was a 72 covered in tan interior latex paint on consignment at a LGS....the lady said her Dad had painted the closet "around" the rifle....got it for $75 otd.

Like I said, I'm just in a whineing mood...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Sierra280

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I think finding the good stuff correlates with the time spent looking."

Couldn't agree more. I'm always looking at local gun ads, pawn shops, gun stores, and the Internet. Couple months ago I picked up a minty 67a for $150.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:54 PM
XLIV

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ask. Everyone. Its amazing what sits in closets that will never see light of day till you ask.

Gunshows, ask dealer if he has any in the shop. They can only bring so many. Look for dirty ones behind the flashy ones. Found a 69a match in reno for 150 because it needed cleaning.

Pawns, ask about consignments that are in back.

Dig through boxes

A little wax and you too can have a safe of "95%" safe queens that you'll never shoot.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:35 PM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
While I mainly collect 98 model Mauser military, I go to maybe 14-16 gun shows a year, and a couple pawn shops (not many around here). When traveling I stop at small town gun shops and visit some in area. I recently got two Lithuanian FN made Mausers for 350 (gun show) and another for 450 (small town shop, out of state).
While not 100% matched (but close) they hardly ever are. Very rare, never imported enmass, no import stamps. Last one on internet sold for 4625 bucks and Simpson of Ill. has one for 5600 or so. Neither seller I bought from had any idea---why should I educate them? No, no guilt!