S&W 63 problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Kilroy2721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W 63 problems

Well I purchased a S&W 63 late last year, and didn't even try to shoot it till Dec. It wouldn't even fire a full cylinder before locking up. Long story short it is back at S&W now for the 3rd time.

Each and every time it has gone back I have very carefully stated what the problem is. This time after they received the gun back for repairs, I called them up in person and spoke to a supervisor about this problem, I hope it gets resolved quickly.

The cylinder is very tightly fitted, and I think that this is part of the problem. While I do have a lot of different type of ammo, I use CCI mini mags exclusively. I can rotate the cylinder (without firing) when loaded with CCI mini mags, but after firing a round I am unable to rotate the cylinder to fire the next round. And yes I have looked under the extractor for any obstruction and found none.

Tried different lots of CCI, but still the same problem.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:11 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sorry to hear about your S&W 63 issues but they can and do happen from time to time. I once had a pre S&W M18 5 screw that pretty much had the same issue as it was so hard to turn after firing than it was unshootable. This was from the time frame of what many would call The Holy Grail of K22's and it was a bad one. Hopefully S&W will get it taken care of and make it right.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:52 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have had great service from the S&W repair department.

I have a mid 1970s Model 17 that was purchased new and the cylinder would bind when shooting. It didnít even have three cylinders full of ammo fired through it. We never sent it in for repair until about 10 years ago. S&W repaired it and only charged $50. It had a bent crane from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Rodfac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple of issues come to mind. But you say it's been back to S&W three times already...hard to believe they wouldn't test fire it, and find the part that's binding. All of the following should have been checked while it was at S&W, at most a ten minute job.

I bought a M63 around Christmas and found it superbly accurate, but it shaved lead on a couple of chambers. I sent it back to S&W after they sent me a FEDEX label. Turn around time was right at three months. If you've sent yours back three times since Christmas, you're doing much better than I did. When I received my 63 back from S&W, it was fixed...no shaving, and they'd done a bit of action work on the SA and DA triggers. The work sheet enclosed said they'd replaced the ejector rod, barrel and ejector star.

Here are some thoughts on your issues:

Ammunition problems. Have you tried it with other brands. CCI Mini Mags are generally top shelf, but it's possible you've got a bad lot.

Ammunition MUST be fully seated in the chamber. Tight chambers will need an extra push to fully seat the round. S&W .22 revolver chambers are usually very tight...which is part of the reason they're so beautifully accurate.

The cylinder gap may be too tight, allowing powder residue or minute particles of lead to tie up the gun as it attempts to rotate into battery.

Cylinder chambers may be not bored deep enough to accommodate fired cases.

Ejector rod not screwed in tight.

Burrs under ejector star or on cylinder face as it mates with ejector star.

Hand/bolt issues not allowing full rotation to next chamber.

Best regards, Rod
Old 05-12-2021, 09:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 317 handles some ammunition better than others. If I use the wrong stuff, it will try to lock the cylinder up by allowing the fired shells to back out of the cylinder.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:03 AM
Kilroy2721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update.

S&W returned the handgun to me a couple of days ago. I left work early just to test it out. I am now able to fire a full cylinder of mini mags through the gun without problems.

I am probably going to try and get a 617 next. Hope I don't have the same problems with that one.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:45 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I bought a Model 63 once and when I got it home and started cleaning it, chunks of metal started coming off the frame around the forcing cone with nothing more than a nylon brush. S&W sent me a prepaid shipper and contacted me a little while later saying they were going to replace the gun. They have great customer service IMO. Glad they got you sorted out also.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:33 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hope yours now is a good-un.
The Mdl 63 was on my want list for some years before I found one, pretty clean looking, in a small hole-in-the -wall shop. We did a deal and once it was home I discovered why it was so clean, it 'had issues'. Persevering through I would think I had it figured, then more, then finally those were over....but it wasnt particularly accurate for even 15-20yd small game hunting. Me, right? But I was shooting NRA Bullseye at the time and scoring well. Still, it was maybe me with a small revolver rather than a Bullseye gun.
My conclusion after several years of off/on playing with it was that it was a S&W made during the 'trouble' years and that I had lost interest.
Sometimes they make a bad-un, sometimes the magic just doesnt work.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:33 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a '85 686 that had a similar problem. Fired a few cylinders worth and locked up. Couldn't rotate or even open up the cylinder/crane. Turned out to be the extractor rod had come loose, or was never tightened properly, and as it revolved it made the rod unscrew from the cylinder making the assembly length increase. It jammed into the lock detent in the shroud. I had to drift out the pin holding that in and then I could push it in enough to release the cylinder/crane. Made sure the ejector rod was tight and haven't had a problem since. I was aware of this as it happened to a friend of mine also. The 63 looks similar albeit the shorter shroud. Doesn't hurt to check it out.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Kilroy2721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update:

I finally got my 63 back from S&W and the first thing I did was go out to the range and test it out. It finally works. While I did not perform any accuracy testing I was able to fire 80 rds through the gun without any problems, I consider that a big win.

Thinking about getting a 617 now, but not quite sure if I will have good luck.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:46 PM
BookerT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So what was the fix that Smith and Wesson did to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk