Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:16 PM
Oldengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 63 and 74 Butt Stock Split

Greetings to all,

I’m looking for sound advice on what adhesive I should use/obtain to repair a crack on the subject rifles. The crack(s) are adjacent the butt plate screw holes and follow the magazine tube. They are about 2-3 inches long and “closed.” Both rifles are cosmetically very, very good, so a repair that’s not readily noticeable is desired. I would appreciate product name and source. Thanks in advance, Tom.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:40 PM
clisbyclark

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm no gunsmith but have a fair amount of woodworking experience. If the cracks are tight, it's going to be very very difficult to get any glue in them without spreading them open. Have the cracks gotten bigger over time?
Old 05-09-2021, 10:08 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you make the cracks bigger by putting a strain on the wood to facilitate wicking a thin wood glue into them?
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2021, 06:01 AM
Gobblerforge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a trick I have but if you can get the gap open at all, a shot of compressed air will drive glue deep into an opening.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:54 AM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Super thin super glue (not ordinary super glue) will wick down into any crack. It may take several applications, and likely may require some refinishing, unless you are extremely careful. It can be applied with a syringe, but it is so thin that it tends to go places you don't want it to. Masking tape might help a bit.
Good luck with it.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Oldengineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe that I can spread the split apart when the time comes to inject the glue into the exposed crack. Once exposed, the insertion of a few tooth picks will hold the crack open. And so, I’m wondering what the best choice is for glue? Somehow Elmer’s just doesn’t seem right! Tom
Old 05-10-2021, 11:31 AM
57springer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have repaired a few with wood glue from the hardware and used padded clamps and left dry several days . I repaired a savage 99 butt stock this way , and seems to be holding up .
Old 05-10-2021, 05:09 PM
clisbyclark

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldengineer View Post
I believe that I can spread the split apart when the time comes to inject the glue into the exposed crack. Once exposed, the insertion of a few tooth picks will hold the crack open. And so, I’m wondering what the best choice is for glue? Somehow Elmer’s just doesn’t seem right! Tom
If you can pry it open like you said, my recommendation would be Titebond 3 which you can get at any home improvement store. It's supposed to be highly water resistant, if not waterproof. Just get as much in the crack as you can then gently clamp it back overnight.

Make sure you wipe off any excess glue with a wet towel.

I'm sure you already know this, but this is one of those jobs you want to get right the first time as re-glues are rarely as effective as the initial glueup.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:11 AM
wundudnee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not advocating cat torture, but, a cat whisker is just stiff enough and tapered to allow you to push glue into a tight crack. Fingernail clippers are an excellent tool for whisker harvest. This operation is best accomplished while your wife is in town shopping.