Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Walther SSP: Advice Needed

Hi Folks!

I made a neat little pickup the other day ...

Are there any SSP users out there? I could use some advice on lubrication and adjustments.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-09-2021, 09:38 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Oh that's a fine looking pistol Dave! Makes my GSP look mighty long in the tooth.

No advice other than go shoot it to establish a baseline before you start twiddling with the trigger.

Good score sir,

Frank
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Oh that's a fine looking pistol Dave!
Thanks! While the manual that comes with the gun is a bit lacking, I did find a flyer that has lots of info on trigger adjustments ...

https://www.aomnikandros.gr/wp-conte...-Bulleting.pdf

But the lubrication issue has me stumped ... When I first test fired it, I was getting light strikes (and failure-to-fire) about 50 percent the time.

When I then stripped the slide off the gun, I found no signs of previous use and absolutely no lubrication. None. So I lubed it with the included grease, and test fired it again ... with light strikes (and failure-to-fire) 100 percent of the time.

I suspect the unique forward facing striker is very sensitive to lubrication. It's a flat piece that makes a lot of contact with the slide. I can see where both too little and too much lube would be a problem. Anyone out there with experience?

Thanks!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That's disappointing Dave. Watching the factory takedown/cleaning video they're not using grease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20R0BF8sRQ

The Walther Pro Gun Care lubricant they are using looks like a basic 5w machine oil with some antirust additives. https://www.umarex.com/fileadmin/fly...GunCare_EN.pdf

I'd strip it back down and try something with very low viscosity in meager amounts and see if that solves it.

Frank
Old 05-09-2021, 12:29 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I hope I'm not annoying you here Dave but I do love machines

From the owner's manual page 49 it sure sounds like Walther wants the pistol run dry except for the plunger in the damping system.

"The damping system too should be cleaned from time to time. To do so, remove the slide spring rod forwards out of the slide housing, clean dirt off the
plunger and lightly grease it with the grease provided.

It is essential to ensure that only the supplied grease and not too much of it is
used. On no account use oil for lubrication if oil is used, faultless
operation of the pistol cannot be guaranteed."

https://www.aomnikandros.gr/wp-conte...ish-Manual.pdf

Frank
Old 05-09-2021, 01:30 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I hope I'm not annoying you here Dave but I do love machines
Oh, heavens, that's no annoyance at all. I appreciate the help ...

I used the Walther-branded lubricant included with gun, which appeared to be a synthetic grease, like Super Lube.

I'm going to strip the gun again and wipe off any excess. Then we'll see what happens.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-09-2021, 08:23 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure your chamber is spotless and that rounds are fully seating in the chamber....otherwise they can 'give' when struck by the striker. That's all the ideas I have. Nice pistol. 1917
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
HI Dave:

I see a couple of those around as I travel to various bullseye competitions around the region. The top loading magazine is a bit of a pain, especially when transitioning from the first to second string in timed and rapid fire. Also prevents the use of most tube style red dot sights.

I know most of the owners have the red dot mount from Champions Choice in Tennessee.

For what it is worth, those are unique guns and the people that acquire them either love them because they are so weird or trade them away after they get annoyed enough with them.

I have shot a couple of the SSp's, seamed like a nice gun and the ones I had the triggers were meticulously adjusted by their owners to get them to a 2 stage 2 pound trigger that is legal for competition. Might want to log onto Bullseye L forum, there are a couple SSp shooters over there.

There is a laminated wood grip available or was available, might be able to find one if you search.

As for the light strikes, while I do not have any experience with the SSM, that sure sounds like a dirty firing pin and you probably want to pull it out and give it a good cleaning.

One thing that you gotta do now that you have a high quality pistol, go track down your local bullseye team and find out when and where they are shooting their next match. If you thought you were enjoying shooting now, just wait until you start competition in the local bullseye league.

Regards,
Crankster