Ticks - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njjr View Post
Not sure I want to be in the same house with anyone who doesn't wash their sox for six weeks.

A woman from the area here was on a trip out west a yr or 2 ago and got sick after she came home and blew it off until she got really sick. Out of desperation they checked for bubonic and it came back positive. She almost died and had long lasting infirmities after, last I read in the local paper. Turned out she had sat down several times to rest while hiking in one of our national parks known for plague previously. They guessed a flea got her.

Back to ticks~
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 AM
flyingsquirrel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
My older dog's record is 15 found when he came inside. I figger he got in a nest if that is what it's called. I have spray to keep ticks off but not for humans so what does it do to dogs? It has Perathin plus more chems.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:42 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
That reminded me time to give my pup her Simpatico Trio (sarolaner-kills ticks moxidectin-heartworm, and pyranet-intestinal worms) chewable tablet. She gets one each month. Although I take several ticks off of her a day this season, since she been on the sarolaner none have ever been engorged and often they're dead.

Permethrin is good stuff to treat your outdoor gear with.
Good to hear they now have treatment for the pooches, one of my major concerns with my Sitters and Brittany bird hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemountain View Post
I definitely don't miss ticks now that I'm living in SE AK. They give me the creeps.

When I was still living in Idaho I was a big fan of Sawyer's permethrin sprays for clothing and tents. It's pretty cool watching a tick climb onto your pant leg, struggle for a bit, then fall to the ground and die. Like having a super power
Lots of time they'll crawl up to a treated surface, stop and turn tail...

Quote:
Not sure I want to be in the same house with anyone who doesn't wash their sox for six weeks.
You wash your clothing as normal, if you let it dry after applicant it lasts right though normal washings.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 08:51 AM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
If applied properly you it persists through a number of washings, as it has very poor solubility in water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Our old Husky always acted 'weird' after a permethrin application, worse the first 1/2 day then settled down after a day.
Our current Sheba Inu got a terrible allergic reaction to it, a not uncommon thing, we almost lost her. Look it up and consider, it is a powerful pesticide!
A couple notes here: yep, a small minority of dogs have an allergy to it. Try tiny bits on your dog before going to any full strength collar or treatment! Also, for any cat owners out there- permethrin is toxic to cats. Never use a flea/tick product/collar/etc for dogs on a cat, as they often contain permethrin.

And one additional note, because I work with fish: permethrin is extremely toxic to aquatic insects and fish. If you're going fishing and plan on wading, please don't treat waders with it. Just treat your clothing underneath the waders. Besides, if you're wearing breathable waders, the treatment will screw up the breathability anyway.

Now, outside those cautions, I will reiterate: the stuff is pretty awesome if you're in tick and flea country! Just be smart about using it. (And for those who worry about about "chemicals"- permethrin's effects on humans are very well studied. Simply put, it's safe- and it's been the frontline lice and scabies treatment for people for a long time. If it's safe to rub on your child's head, you can spritz a bit on your hiking outfit lol).
Old 05-04-2021, 01:26 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I mix 2 oz. of Martin's 10% permethrin in a gallon of water, spray in abundance all of my outer clothing, fanny pack, ground lounger, or anything else that will come in contact with the outdoors. Let it hang outside until it dries. Wash it as needed. I do this every two weeks and have not found a tick on me in several years of squirrel, turkey, or bow hunting for deer.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:47 PM
Grayrock

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Not much of a problem where I am in central Texas, the fireants eat them all. I'd be happy to ship y'all some fireants to control your tick infestation
Old 05-06-2021, 06:53 PM
nhw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found some ticks on my dogs in late January. Who knew they would be out in the dead of winter? Dogs were already on Trifexis for heartworm and fleas. Vet prescribed NextGuard. It really works. My only hope is the ticks died a painful death. Of course now each dog gets two $25 pills each month.

I treat my clothes and boots with Sawyer Permethin. Hang to dry after washing and keep them in dark plastic tubs. Sunlight and mechanical tumbling can lessen the effectiveness of the Permethin. I use a final spray of Permethin on boots and pants as heading down the steps. On neck and arms I use a 20% Picaridin spray. It works wonders on mosquitoes and worry flies. May seem like overkill but I hate ticks. Working in heavy brush along fence lines is perhaps the most exposed you can get.

Sadly back when we ran cattle and they had treated ear tags there weren't any ticks anywhere on the place.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:47 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dealing with a bite right now on my leg. Pulled the little blood sucker off Monday , going to the doc tomorrow. The bite area seems to be getting bigger so the wife says go. I hate the little buggers, ticks.... not wives. Need to clear that up !
Old 05-06-2021, 07:48 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took over 470 wood ticks off my pant legs on a walk down an old logging road one July afternoon in the central upper peninsula of Michigan. Not all at once. I would stop every hundred feet or so and remove a couple dozen at a time, Decided to count them just for bragging rights.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz View Post
Dealing with a bite right now on my leg. Pulled the little blood sucker off Monday , going to the doc tomorrow. The bite area seems to be getting bigger so the wife says go. I hate the little buggers, ticks.... not wives. Need to clear that up !
I'm with you in hating those little buggers, too many folks getting seriously ill from them.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 PM
Omega-Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a place in SE Oklahoma that is lousy with ticks....all varieties. Just had my business partner down there helping me with some projects, he took advantage of the spring Turkey season and killed a great Tom - 25lbs. But we did have to peel about a dozen ticks off him when he came in from the hunt.

We give next-guard to our Lewellyn and English Setters, works wonders, killing them very quickly.

Once we get settled there, am hoping a good fire will eliminate a great many, but, have not been down that road yet. Any info on a good solution would be greatly appreciated.

The fire ants virtually eliminated the ticks we used to find on Whitetails on a deer lease I was on in Texas, not enough fire ants apparently in Oklahoma to do the same.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 AM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Man View Post
Have a place in SE Oklahoma that is lousy with ticks....all varieties. Just had my business partner down there helping me with some projects, he took advantage of the spring Turkey season and killed a great Tom - 25lbs. But we did have to peel about a dozen ticks off him when he came in from the hunt.

We give next-guard to our Lewellyn and English Setters, works wonders, killing them very quickly.

Once we get settled there, am hoping a good fire will eliminate a great many, but, have not been down that road yet. Any info on a good solution would be greatly appreciated.

The fire ants virtually eliminated the ticks we used to find on Whitetails on a deer lease I was on in Texas, not enough fire ants apparently in Oklahoma to do the same.
Well, if the place if densely grown, a thinning fire would definitely help- both in knocking back the population and in removing the plants those ticks need! Obviously consult your pertinent authorities about a controlled burn- it's definitely something you have a huge liability for and really, really don't want to mess up!

How big a place is it? Or alternately, how large an area do you want to cut back on the ticks?

You could do some sort of area spraying, but there's probably legal hoops to jump through, and for good reason- you'd be killing a lot of other beneficial little bugs too, causing pretty significant ecosystem damage.

If you have a smaller area (like a yard) that you'd like to make into a tick-free(ish) zone, some guinea fowl / quail / chickens can be very helpful. Ground birds are bug eating machines! But you'd then have the problem of keeping the birds safe from predators. Your dogs might be able to help there, especially with ground-based mammals, but in my experience there's just no defense against a determined hawk or falcon. You can expect losses over time

Sounds like it's a larger place if you're hunting on it. The best I can suggest is to do anything you can to encourage native ground birds (like turkeys) to be around, as they'll eat the little buggers.

That failing, a small nuclear airburst at about a kiloton per 10 acres ought to do it. (I feel your pain. Ticks are very, very frustrating.)

It may be that, in the end, your best course of action is to just try and tickproof your dogs and yourselves as best as possible.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:14 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dang things are like what we called piss ants in Vietnam and like to crawl into your privates area to feast. That just ain't right!!
Old 05-07-2021, 03:58 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I'm with you in hating those little buggers, too many folks getting seriously ill from them.
And as you know .... us North Carolinians have plenty of woods to room in and collect the little blood suckers. There seems to be an abundance of 'em so far this year. Now I have 10 days of antibiotics to take as a precaution .
Old 05-07-2021, 04:06 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz View Post
And as you know .... us North Carolinians have plenty of woods to room in and collect the little blood suckers. There seems to be an abundance of 'em so far this year. Now I have 10 days of antibiotics to take as a precaution .
Best careful...