B22: What Ammo Are You Using? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 PM
mrwug
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B22: What Ammo Are You Using?

Since I got into rimfire shooting last summer, I'd often read how ammo can make a significant difference in accuracy. Fortunately for me, I had a bunch of rimfire guns that weren't so picky, then I got a B22 late last year. Compared to the Tikka that I shot before i got the B22, my Savage couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! I shot three different brands of ammo and I was seriously questioning my purchase.

A few weeks ago, I decided to give some CCI SV a shot (no pun intended ). The difference was night and day. Results went from embarrassing to tack driving.

Now that I realize how much a difference it makes, what kind of ammo are you using with your B22?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:53 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up ammo for B22

Hi Mrwug - I, too, bought a B22 last Fall. I have a 64 and a Marlin 60 also, and with those I used CCI-MM and Fed AutoMatch. I was able to keep under 1" with these but not much better. Then I got the B22 and bought some other brands of ammo. I found that all 3 do much better with SV ammo, tho the semis do have cycling probs with the SV occasionally - not always, maybe 10-20%.
My best with the B22 have been CCI-SV, Fed Champion 40g (NOT 36g)SV, and SK Standard+. I also had some older S&B Standard that did well but I ran out of that. Federal Gold Medal in 40g RNL-SV is also very good. ALL under $5/bx, I'm a careful shopper. Lots of sale deals at the LGS.
I had a Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA 6-18x50 on the B22, which I liked but I just put on a 6-24x50 Covenant-4 FFP-SF. It also has a MOA reticle too but the bars are numbered, which makes a big diff when adjusting holds. Much easier than trying to count bars! Now I'm p-d if I'm not under 3/4" and I've only been out once with the new scope. Getting better with only about 150 rounds so far. With the old scope I was 'often' under 1/2" and some under that. (5-shot groups @ 50y).
My best suggestion would be to get some $10-15 ammo and see which works best for you. Don't bother with anything less and you'll be happier. If you have a borescope, check out your barrel - I was scared when I looked inside my B22 b4 I shot it. Looked like RR-tracks inside but it shoots very well for a low-priced rifle. I'm not planning any Competition so I'm good with what I've got.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:12 PM
mrwug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
Hi Mrwug - I, too, bought a B22 last Fall. I have a 64 and a Marlin 60 also, and with those I used CCI-MM and Fed AutoMatch. I was able to keep under 1" with these but not much better. Then I got the B22 and bought some other brands of ammo. I found that all 3 do much better with SV ammo, tho the semis do have cycling probs with the SV occasionally - not always, maybe 10-20%.
My best with the B22 have been CCI-SV, Fed Champion 40g (NOT 36g)SV, and SK Standard+. I also had some older S&B Standard that did well but I ran out of that. Federal Gold Medal in 40g RNL-SV is also very good. ALL under $5/bx, I'm a careful shopper. Lots of sale deals at the LGS.
I had a Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA 6-18x50 on the B22, which I liked but I just put on a 6-24x50 Covenant-4 FFP-SF. It also has a MOA reticle too but the bars are numbered, which makes a big diff when adjusting holds. Much easier than trying to count bars! Now I'm p-d if I'm not under 3/4" and I've only been out once with the new scope. Getting better with only about 150 rounds so far. With the old scope I was 'often' under 1/2" and some under that. (5-shot groups @ 50y).
My best suggestion would be to get some $10-15 ammo and see which works best for you. Don't bother with anything less and you'll be happier. If you have a borescope, check out your barrel - I was scared when I looked inside my B22 b4 I shot it. Looked like RR-tracks inside but it shoots very well for a low-priced rifle. I'm not planning any Competition so I'm good with what I've got.
Thanks! About the only SV I'm regularly able to find locally is Aguila which my B22 shoots about the same as the Tippmann ammo.

My B22 has a Vortex Crossfire 6-18. Good point about the numbered bars!

I have a couple bricks of Eley Target on hand but given its general availability (and cost relative to the CCI), I'm trying not to get too attached to it.

Don't have a borescope but, like you, I'm not looking to compete with my Savage. I just like spending my Saturdays putting holes in paper. If I got more serious than that, I'd probably do another build around a Tikka T1X. The one thing I like better on the B22 is the trigger but my son's Tikka is a serious tack driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
mine seems to like eley
Old 05-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Mods for B22

MrWug - I haven't done a lot to the B22 but I found that "deepening" the socket for the trigger spring with a Dremel cone-shaped stone helped, then I heated the spring with a bic-lighter to red-hot and allowed to cool slowly. This took some of the tension off the spring. I think this is better than cutting the spring. I have the trigger down to about 2# (luggage scale ) and it's a world of difference. Polishing the contact surfaces with 1000g paper inside the action helped too. I had found an old thread about rimfire Accutrigger mods and copied it as pdf. Careful what you do, but some seems like good ideas.
Enjoy,
Ed
http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222483&highlight=accu-trigger
BTW - I've read that if you shoot longer distances it's best to use a 20-yard Zero, in that you get LONGER RANGE with Less noticed drop. Here's a quote (pdf is too big to attach) -
"Like the Federal ammunition, with the 20-yard zero you can expect hits within a 1″ circle of your point of aim from the 12 yards all the way out to 67 yards without having to worry about adding any holdover to your aim. This makes it easy to hit a target the size of a tennis ball or a squirrel out to 67 yards simply by placing the red-dot where you want to hit and then applying the seven principles of marksmanship.
Recommendation: While the 25-yard zero is very attractive, I would still recommend the 20-yard zero. While there is s a very slight penalty of higher apogee of flight with the 20-yard zero, you get almost one inch less drop at 100 yards. "
Old 05-08-2021, 10:54 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation Pics for the Accu-Trigger "FIX STICKY"

And here's the 'detailed' steps of RonAKA's Accu-trigger mods - Unfortunately the phottos got "Lost" by Photobucket when they had their "Meltdown" a couple years ago. Luckily for me, I never used that 'photobutt-it' and I had saved some of those pics. Here they are, you'll have to figure where they go in the text of the thread in the Sticky link under "Facts & Fixes" - Maybe a MOD can 'RE-Attach' them?? :

http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227014
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage Rimfire A-Trigger 1.jpg (125.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Savage A-Trigger 2.jpg (118.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Savage A-Trigger Springs.jpg (123.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Savage A-Trigger Polished area 1.jpg (78.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Savage A-Trigger Polished area 2.jpg (45.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-08-2021, 05:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As you have discovered nearly all rifles will be more accurate with standard velocity ammo.
There is a reason no precision shooter uses high velocity.

Also FYI tippman is aguila. I have discovered several companies that market ammo that don’t make it. I discovered my recent purchase of a bulk order of fiocchi is actually aguila too.
Another example is gemtech which is simply CCI standard in a different box.
The old “eley sport” which you see from time to time ( I don’t think it has been made in years) is simply aguila in a different box too.
Same with herters which is Winchester.

Even some humble rifles like these inexpensive savages like to be fed a diet of high quality ammo, and the results will prove it.
While I do not have a B22 I have been using eley action or contact in my Mark II along with some SK when I can find it, and it certainly shoots much better than with any high velocity ammo
Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 AM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best ammo to shoot small holes

I agree with all the above posts. Its all about the ammo. I shoot benchrest ARA at my local club. I compete in the factory class with a CZ 452. It pretty much likes all ammo. I also own two Savage MKII rifles, that I do not compete with. Most of the competitors shoot custom rifles or specific target manufactured rifles valued up to $4,000. All shoot low velocity German or English ammo.

Without bashing American branded ammo, None of it is at the accuracy level of some German and English brands. I have never met a competitor that doesn't shoot Lapua, SK (same German company), Eley (England) or RWS (Germany).

My Savage MKII TR in an Oryx chassis shoot any CCI ammo like a shotgun. Load Lapua Center X and I get little holes with no adjustments other than zero.

The English and German brands are definitely more expensive and hard to find right now. Try some to see the difference. A mid priced brand is SK Std+.
Great value and excellent accuracy.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 PM
mrwug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It occurs to me that I didn't specify that the Tippman (and Aquila) was their SV variety, not HV. Based on the packaging, I can definitely believe that it was made by Aguila. The Tippmann boxes and frames are pretty much identical to my Aguila.

At this point, I think I'll be stocking up on CCI SV. Factory sells it at a reasonable price (though limited quantities) and it shoots well out of both my Tikka and Savage. I have a couple bricks of Eley Target but given how much harder it is to find than the CCI, I don't know if it's even worth pursuing for my weekly range sessions.