141M with a bad barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
141M with a bad barrel

I picked up a 141M at a local gun show. Fortunately I got it cheap because it had an undisclosed ringed barrel. I have NOT shot it yet but might try shooting it and just see how it does.

Another thought is to have it relined to 17HMR. Anyone have any idea on cost to do that if it's doable? Might be that just using as is is fine but I am curious if there is an option.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:59 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Where's the ring? It might shoot better than expected

Old 05-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also purchased a rifle with a ringed barrel a Schultz & Larsen model 70. Like your situation this was undisclosed. I honestly believe that the seller was not aware of this.
I tried the rifle & it shot fine. Have you tried shooting yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Williwaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody have a minute to explain what a ringed barrel is and any other relevant details for the benefit of a new guy?

Thanks in advance,
A New Guy
Old 05-01-2021, 06:11 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
If a rimfire is fired with an obstruction in the barrel the fired bullet can cause a bulge or "ring" in the barrel where it meets the obstruction. Usually caused by a squib load or week charge that leaves a previously fired bullet somewhere in the barrel.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:20 PM
Williwaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
If a rimfire is fired with an obstruction in the barrel the fired bullet can cause a bulge or "ring" in the barrel where it meets the obstruction. Usually caused by a squib load or week charge that leaves a previously fired bullet somewhere in the barrel.

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:33 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I have a 1922M2 Springfield with a ring about 6" in front of the muzzle, shoots as well as I would expect if there were no ring.

I think there are probably quite few .22 rifles and pistols out there that have been ringed and the owner has no clue about it.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, I have not shot this one (got tons of 22lr but no mag). I agree the prudent thing to do would be to shoot it. It has a decent bulge about mid way down the barrel that just drives me crazy every time I see it. Even if it shoots good I'd still consider just using the action and make something totally different out of it.

Would really consider that if I could turn it into a functional heavy barrel single shot in .22lr.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Last I knew there were some mechanical methods used to remove a bulge on a barrel that better gunsmiths employ. Sometimes they get lucky doing this and no damage or marks are left on the barrel to show anything was ever done. If this bulge bothers you to the point you have to do something to it to fix it, you may want to check with experienced 'smith's about repairing it. Personally if it were mine I might just sell it as is and look for something else. Ultimately a good part of my decision would be based on how well it shot in present condition.

Rick H.