Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:33 AM
Jasper7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Identification needed obsolete Anschütz Firing Pins

Dear Anschütz shooters,

Please can you help on the identification of two Anschütz firing pins, I found them in a lot of Anschütz airgun parts from an old German gunsmith.

I have found out they are from the "hopelessly obsolete, discontinued and hard to find" category.
Since my main hobby is airguns, I do not see these parts very often, so I cannot tell you more interesting things about them unfortunately.

Comparing pictures in old catalogues, best estimate is that they are for repeater bolt action rifles from the 1422 - 1532 series, but maybe they will fit other guns as well.
Are they rimfire or .22 Hornet?

They are 2 bolts and three springs.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jasper7; 04-26-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:25 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7 View Post
Dear Anschütz shooters,

Please can you help on the identification of two Anschütz firing pins, I found them in a lot of Anschütz airgun parts from an old German gunsmith.

I have found out they are from the "hopelessly obsolete, discontinued and hard to find" category.
Since my main hobby is airguns, I do not see these parts very often, so I cannot tell you more interesting things about them unfortunately.

Comparing pictures in old catalogues, best estimate is that they are for repeater bolt action rifles from the 1422 - 1532 series, but maybe they will fit other guns as well.
Are they rimfire or .22 Hornet?

They are 2 bolts and three springs.

Thanks!

They are early Match 54 firing pins no longer available and very hard to find.

Lee
Old 04-26-2021, 06:37 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
They are Anschutz 1407-U4 that fit sporters and match rifles with the flat wing safety alike. They are rimfire firing pins, the centerfire pins look different and break easier.

.22Hornet is above the RF version

Last edited by Andyd; 04-26-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2021, 01:02 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I've had to remove a couple of posts

Please remember that offers to buy are not allowed in the discussion sections. If it continues I'll close the thread and possibly remove it

Old 04-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Jasper7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your time and effort to find out. Also a factory gunsmith from Ulm told me they are 54 .22lr.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:47 PM
Andyd

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7 View Post
Thank you all for your time and effort to find out. Also a factory gunsmith from Ulm told me they are 54 .22lr.
That shows you their typical ignorance. It is not very specific.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
That shows you their typical ignorance. It is not very specific.
Andy,

That's a little harsh. The gunsmith's advice was accurate, just not precise. Those pins were likely made before he was born!
Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Andyd

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
Andy,

That's a little harsh. The gunsmith's advice was accurate, just not precise. Those pins were likely made before he was born!
After three years of training and a standardized test to become an associate gunsmith that statement was just not good enough for someone employed by a premium manufacturer. Maybe he has never tried to install a 1407 firing pin in a 1607 rifle but he could have asked a master gunsmith for advice.

This confirms once again exactly the attitude and poor support that Anschutz has shown too often when it comes to their obsolete products. When a bunch of amateurs on a gunforum can pin the product down better than company officials, there is something not right. Even in 2021.

Last edited by Andyd; 04-27-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
After three years of training and a standardized test to become an associate gunsmith that statement was just not good enough for someone employed by a premium manufacturer. Maybe he has never tried to install a 1407 firing pin in a 1607 rifle but he could have asked a master gunsmith for advice.

This confirms once again exactly the attitude and poor support that Anschutz has shown too often when it comes to their obsolete products. When a bunch of amateurs on a gunforum can pin the product down better than company officials, there is something not right. Even in 2021.
Andy,

Again I must disagree. We don't know the exact wording of the question posed, or the answer given. Does his professional training extend to every part of every rifle made? He is a gunsmith, not an historian.

Yes we are amateurs, but remember the origin of that word. We do this for fun, for the love of the intellectual challenge, not for profit The Anschutz gunsmith is paid as a gunsmith by Anschutz. Professionally, does Anschutz gain by spending their effort on enumerating exactly which rifles this firing pin might have been made for, perhaps 60 years ago? Perhaps a fuller reply might encourage the buyer of a second hand rifle to purchase a new one, but then again perhaps it might not.

Perhaps your ire might be better directed against Anschutz's management who direct company policy, than the unfortunate gunsmith who gave a correct (if brief) response.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Andyd

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Andy,

Again I must disagree. We don't know the exact wording of the question posed, or the answer given. Does his professional training extend to every part of every rifle made? He is a gunsmith, not an historian.

Yes we are amateurs, but remember the origin of that word. We do this for fun, for the love of the intellectual challenge, not for profit The Anschutz gunsmith is paid as a gunsmith by Anschutz. Professionally, does Anschutz gain by spending their effort on enumerating exactly which rifles this firing pin might have been made for, perhaps 60 years ago? Perhaps a fuller reply might encourage the buyer of a second hand rifle to purchase a new one, but then again perhaps it might not.

Perhaps your ire might be better directed against Anschutz's management who direct company policy, than the unfortunate gunsmith who gave a correct (if brief) response.
The gun smith is part of a company that lets him answer customer requests, something he obviously is not prepared for well enough. Whose fault that is, is a second problem and one that should be remedied by their management. As someone who was working successfully as sales engineer in Germany, I cannot agree with their business policy of missing support for older products.

I had mentioned that I found something to be wrong with their business policy and general attitude even in 2021 because profits should not be the only thing that counts but pride in a product and excellence go hand in hand.
I have been in direct contact with Anschutz, Ulm for years and found it to get more and more dissatisfying every year and the level of competence of their customer reps dwindling.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:27 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
The gun smith is part of a company that lets him answer customer requests, something he obviously is not prepared for well enough. Whose fault that is, is a second problem and one that should be remedied by their management. As someone who was working successfully as sales engineer in Germany, I cannot agree with their business policy of missing support for older products.

I had mentioned that I found something to be wrong with their business policy and general attitude even in 2021 because profits should not be the only thing that counts but pride in a product and excellence go hand in hand.
I have been in direct contact with Anschutz, Ulm for years and found it to get more and more dissatisfying every year and the level of competence of their customer reps dwindling.
I have to agree with what you are saying Andy, Professional pride should always come first. looking at the history of Anschutz, anyone working there should take an interest of what was before and how the company got to where they are and not just what is now.

it seems as the new generation took over they lost that pride and only look at what can be made now and disregard their heritage very sad indeed

Lee
Old 04-28-2021, 01:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still disagree. Professional pride, as you call it, does not fill their coffers. Anschutz are a business, not a charity for research into historic rifles. What Anschutz need, far more desperately than fussing over long gone products, is a new 0.22 match design that is seen as competitive with Walther.

Then they can worry about former products.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:42 AM
Martin C

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spot on I don't know what their target sales are like but they must be suffering. My disappointment with them is not supporting the 1600 for parts, although I do sort of understand why.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:44 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
Spot on I don't know what their target sales are like but they must be suffering. My disappointment with them is not supporting the 1600 for parts, although I do sort of understand why.
I am curious as to why you think they don't support the 1600 series or older match 54

Lee
Old 04-28-2021, 06:56 AM
Andyd

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
I still disagree. Professional pride, as you call it, does not fill their coffers. Anschutz are a business, not a charity for research into historic rifles. What Anschutz need, far more desperately than fussing over long gone products, is a new 0.22 match design that is seen as competitive with Walther.

Then they can worry about former products.
I never talked about business philosophy but their incompetence in identifying a part accurately.

All the assumptions about their future product developments have nothing to do with their incompetence to identify an older product that they sold by the hundred thousands and one that has built their success and reputation and it 's not as if they had hundreds of different models over the years where it would be hard and confusing to follow.