Factory 50 yard BR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:06 AM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Factory 50 yard BR

The local club I shoot at has factory only .22 benchrest. I have owned 52's and 40x. I am now struggling with a 40xb but the question is---what factory rifle benchrest only offers best accuracy out of the box. I am asking because after all these years of shooting and buying and chasing ammo and rifles, I can sell what I have and buy one rifle. I do not mind spending the money I just want to finally spend it correctly (hopefully) I am aware that any rifle new or used is a crap shoot. Just looking for advise from some folks who have been through same thing. I know I am not the only one. Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 06:31 AM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz
Old 02-26-2021, 06:31 AM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What does that mean? Can I shoot a out of the box voodoo kidd or volquartsen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2021, 07:33 AM
br222ppc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Most accurate FACTORY rifle

??? Vodoo then Anschutz, but you still may have to hunt the ammo it likes.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Anschutz Walther Fienwerkbau New straight out of the box

Your other choice is to establish your minimum baseline accuracy requirement and see if anyone will sell you a used rifle that will shoot that good.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:50 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a factory BR rifle out-of-box with a BR-style stock Anschutz is a top contender. Any of the match barreled actions -- the 19xx, 20xx, and 54.30 -- is available with a BR-style stock. (See examples below.)

While the Vudoo V22S single shot rifle is no doubt a very good rifle, with its various options, including non-VGW-made triggers and stocks, does it qualify as a factory rilfe?

Old 02-26-2021, 07:55 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
If you have already tried Winchester 52's and Remington 40X's, then I don't really think your going to help yourself, buying a new one. JMO however.

I shoot a lot of factory and semi custom matches. The 40X rules the roost at most places, although my 52D gets on top of the pile, when I feed it what it likes and if I can "do my part". A good "factory rifle" will usually shoot within 90-95% of a good custom built rifle. That last 5-10% is what sets them apart. Again JMO
Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you

Thanks for all the great replies, for a little more qualification i asked some more questions today---according to the rules committee factory means mass produced and for sale as on shelf rifles. I have had 40x and 52's that shot great but because of various reason(moving to places not close to a range and financial reason I has to part with them) wish I still had them and have been trying to buy back a 52D but no luck. So this is not my first dive into benchrest and the 40XB I have now is showing no signs of cooperation, after trying a lot of $$$$ in ammo.
I am familiar with how a rifle is suppose to shoot. This one is not making the grade so I would like to just spend the money and get a new rifle. I do not expect to win every time I shoot or every month I shoot but I would like to be competitive.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
While the Vudoo V22S single shot rifle is no doubt a very good rifle, with its various options, including non-VGW-made triggers and stocks, does it qualify as a factory rilfe?
This is a very good question and frankly, I don’t know. If I try to reason through it based on design intent, I would think so, but there are likely complexities within the rule set that I’m not aware of. Maybe someone with a firm understanding of the rules will chime in....

MB
Old 02-27-2021, 10:47 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Someone else proposed this in another forum and one of the limits was the cost of the gun at $1000. Seems to me that there is a huge difference in guns costing between $400 and $3000.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:03 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
If you have already tried Winchester 52's and Remington 40X's, then I don't really think your going to help yourself, buying a new one. JMO however.

I shoot a lot of factory and semi custom matches. The 40X rules the roost at most places, although my 52D gets on top of the pile, when I feed it what it likes and if I can "do my part". A good "factory rifle" will usually shoot within 90-95% of a good custom built rifle. That last 5-10% is what sets them apart. Again JMO
I think you pegged it pretty close all the way around on your comments...
Old 02-27-2021, 01:02 PM
Notime2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mr. rexxon, Have you sent your rifle out for lot testing? My Kimber G was tested with Eley Tenex at the factory, it shoots both match and tenex about the same. Now I ordered a Vudoo V-22S RBLP in a Kestros stock with a sling stud added because our matches don't allow a solid front rest. Mr. Mike designed the chamber for Lapua and I have some center-x and midas +. I intend to send that rifle for testing to gain that extra 5%. Hope this helps. Notime2
Old 02-27-2021, 02:10 PM
Notime2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mr. rexxon, another thought, maybe a member of your club has a bore scope, now days someone might have one as they are more affordable. Now don't let me stop you from buying a new rifle, but that 40xb was the best Remington built. Maybe all it needs is a JB polish. With 22lr. it's hard to believe it's worn out. Again best wishes. Notime2
Old 02-27-2021, 07:20 PM
rexxon123456

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you

I have not given up on the 40xb yet too stubborn for that just thinking about my options
Old 02-28-2021, 09:26 AM
tonykharper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVAGE View Post
This is a very good question and frankly, I donít know. If I try to reason through it based on design intent, I would think so, but there are likely complexities within the rule set that Iím not aware of. Maybe someone with a firm understanding of the rules will chime in....

MB
This will ultimately be up to the sanctioning body. Past experience shows that "factory" is not an easily defined term.

On the other hand "being available to the general public" e.g. sold though normal retail outlets, and setting a certain number manufactured is far easier.

It just depends on who is making the decision.

This has always been the Achilles heel of "factory classes".

TKH