How bad did I screw up my new rifle? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Emmo782000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How bad did I screw up my new rifle?

I know this is one of the most beat to death topics on gun forums, but I need some advice from the barrel experts out there.

So, I buy my 1st CZ rimfire last week, a 457. I shoot 5 rounds through it before it gets too dark. I grab my Pro-Shot stainless ground rod and some oily .22 patches. 1st patch goes through and I note it takes some force to get it through. 2nd and 3rd patch are the same story. I notice after the patch exits the muzzle and I remove it, pulling the empty rod back out of the barrel takes a little effort, like there's absolutely no play between the rod and the rifling. I started getting concerned that I just might have screwed up the rifling. After talking to a CZ rep, he told me about the barrels being super tight, and to use a .20 Cal rod. Instead of a .22 Cal rod.

So, my question is, did sliding that stainless rod down the barrel with a fit being tight ruin my rifling?
Old 12-09-2020, 02:07 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
No. This has happened many times and I don't recall ever reading of damage.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don’t think three passes like that will do much if any damage. I wouldn’t do it any more, but I feel you are ok. Since the bore was oiled, don’t sweat it. Proceed as normal, just with a smaller dia rod .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmo782000 View Post
So, my question is, did sliding that stainless rod down the barrel with a fit being tight ruin my rifling?
You have not damaged your rifle.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You’d think CZ would throw a warning in the box not to use a .22 cal rod, but to use a .20 rod....... Would sure diminish a lot of stress......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Omegaspeedy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I reckon if there was room for it to accept a patch, there was clearance even if it was just 0.2mm. Also as it was close tolerance, the rods contact surface area was probably distributed across most of the barrel so very little hard contact. Certainly no deformation of rifling. Just be careful of the crown as always and get yourself a carbon .20 rod.
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I *always* use a coated or aluminum cleaning rod in a barrel... never steel-on-steel.
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ejector post

Quote:
I know this is one of the most beat to death topics on gun forums, but I need some advice from the barrel experts out there.

I have three 455's of various barrel lengths.

I suggest that your rod is rubbing the ejector post. If you sight down your barrel from the action end, you will see the post sticking up on the left side of the bore, but still in line with it.

The advantage of a .20" rod has to do with that post, not with bore tightness.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:30 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
I *always* use a coated or aluminum cleaning rod in a barrel... never steel-on-steel.
Interesting to read that as someone put the fear into me that aluminum could pick up something else and scratch the bore.

Last edited by whiplash; 12-09-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:31 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaspeedy View Post
I reckon if there was room for it to accept a patch, there was clearance even if it was just 0.2mm. Also as it was close tolerance, the rods contact surface area was probably distributed across most of the barrel so very little hard contact. Certainly no deformation of rifling. Just be careful of the crown as always and get yourself a carbon .20 rod.
Quote:
Carbon/aluminum/and coated rods all love to pick up and hold abrasive material, I and 95% of the owners of better quality rifles I know use nothing but correctly sized polished stainless steel rods and wipe them off after each pass. How you wear out your barrels is your business but I prefer to wear mine out shooting them instead of cleaning them.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I grab my Pro-Shot stainless ground rod and some oily .22 patches. 1st patch goes through and I note it takes some force to get it through. 2nd and 3rd patch are the same story. I notice after the patch exits the muzzle and I remove it, pulling the empty rod back out of the barrel takes a little effort, like there's absolutely no play between the rod and the rifling. I started getting concerned that I just might have screwed up the rifling. After talking to a CZ rep, he told me about the barrels being super tight, and to use a .20 Cal rod. Instead of a .22 Cal rod.

As noted above, you haven't damaged your bore. You risk damaging the bore or chamber if you don't use a bore guide.

The .22 cal Pro Shot stainless one-piece rod is very near .202" in diameter. It won't damage the rifling. Slimmer cleaning rods such as .20 cal. are less than .20" in diameter. When used with a bore guide, neither will damage rifling, although the .20 cal will avoid the high ejector more completely than the .22 rod. Having too tight a patch on the jag risks bending a cleaning rod, especially a slimmer one, and this can cause it to come into contact with the rifling.

Your CZ bore is made to CIP bore specifications and so is not any tighter than other bores made to CIP standards, which include almost all European-made firearms. The diameter of .22LR bores made to CIP specs measured at the lands is 5.38mm (.212") and 5.58mm (.220") at the grooves.

These specs differ from firearms made to SAAMI specs. These include many firearms made in North America. The SAAMI specs call for 5.51mm (.217") at the lands, 5.64mm (.222") at the grooves.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I and 95% of the owners of better quality rifles I know use nothing but correctly sized polished stainless steel rods and wipe them off after each pass.
Interesting, I and 95% of the owners of better quality rifles I know use coated rods, and those people that I know are match shooters, including F-Class national winners and USA team members. Cultural differences, I guess.

Note that VUDOO has a cleaning video on their website under MEDIA, and also at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3-EQPc9Ik
and at 8 minutes in Mike shows using a Montana X-Treme rod, which is a COATED rod, though like most top quality coated rods, they use a "non-embedding" material (https://www.montanaxtreme.com/produc...3&product=Rods).
Old 12-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Gumshoe
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Carbon/aluminum/and coated rods all love to pick up and hold abrasive material, I and 95% of the owners of better quality rifles I know use nothing but correctly sized polished stainless steel rods and wipe them off after each pass. How you wear out your barrels is your business but I prefer to wear mine out shooting them instead of cleaning them.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
A tight patch means nothing. I do highly recommend you buy a bore guide that is specific to your rifle.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:31 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Interesting, I and 95% of the owners of better quality rifles I know use coated rods, and those people that I know are match shooters, including F-Class national winners and USA team members. Cultural differences, I guess.

Note that VUDOO has a cleaning video on their website under MEDIA, and also at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3-EQPc9Ik
and at 8 minutes in Mike shows using a Montana X-Treme rod, which is a COATED rod, though like most top quality coated rods, they use a "non-embedding" material (https://www.montanaxtreme.com/produc...3&product=Rods).
Really, hmm... Mike says huh...well we'll leave it at that.

Every bench rest shooter I know uses Stainless rods as does my Gunsmith who both builds and completes in F Class and is a two time State Champion and won the warm up to Camp Perry two years ago, several of his clients compete and do well too.

Last edited by gmd1950; 12-09-2020 at 04:35 PM.