Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Mark1964
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
457 match chamber?

Your thoughts: How much of a difference maker is the match chamber that is available on the 457 MTR, and now on the 457 Long Range Precision?
I already shoot a 457 Varmint. While I think the MTR is a lovely .22, I'm not into that stock style. I find it not long enough, and the grip feels massive too me.
I'm thinking of ordering an LPR.
One reason I'm thinking of staying with CZ for my long range matches: The cost of an Annie, plus its mags. I already own a half-dozen of the 10s and a half-dozen of the 5s for the CZ.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ vs Anschutz?....depends on how bad you want to play and maybe win with the big kids.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
CZ vs Anschutz?....depends on how bad you want to play and maybe win with the big kids.
There's desire and there's reality.

The Anschutz I'd like -- the 54 in a chassis -- goes $2,400. They get 65 to 85 for their mags. I like to have at least to have half a dozen, so I'd be looking at $400 to $500 for mags. With a Vortex Strike Eagle and Vortex precision rings, DIP rail and Magpul bipod, I'd be looking at an additional $1080.
So, realistically, putting together that package all NIB we are looking at approx $3,900 before any shipping. That is:
Rifle = $2,400
Mags = 400
DIP rail = 100
Vtx Strike Eagle = 700
Vtx precision rings = 150
Magpul bipod = 130

OTH, staying within CZ, I can do about $2,100:
Rifle = $1,100
Vtx Strike Eagle = 700
Vtix precision rings = 150
Magpul bipod = 130
Rail = 0
Mags =0

In short, we're talking about a $2K outlay vs a $4K outlay.

Also, it ain't all the bow and the arrows. Some of it's the Indian.
I shoot a modest little club match with a max distance of 250 yards. We draw 20 to 36 shooters. There has been a day or two when I have shot into the top quarter with my 457 Varmint in a chassis and beaten some of the Annie boys.
So, you know ... there's a top end I want to go. I still work full time and can't get out but one warmup session during the week and one weekend match day. Wish I could afford to sink both more cash and time, but there's reasonableness and reality involved.

But thank you for the fanboy answer that does not at all answer the question.

Last edited by Mark1964; 10-14-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Given our small sample of over two dozen CZs, including some 453Vs, as good as they are, none of them can touch our 457 MTR for group size. Groups with the MTR are consistently in the quarter inch range at 50 with some teens, now and then. Luck of the draw, as always, is a factor, but we hit a home run with our MTR.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
Given our small sample of over two dozen CZs, including some 453Vs, as good as they are, none of them can touch our 457 MTR for group size. Groups with the MTR are consistently in the quarter inch range at 50 with some teens, now and then. Luck of the draw, as always, is a factor, but we hit a home run with our MTR.
Thanks. The few guys with MTRs at our club say much the same.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1964 View Post
There's desire and there's reality.

OTH, staying within CZ, I can do about $2,100:
Rifle = $1,100
Vtx Strike Eagle = 700
Vtix precision rings = 150
Magpul bipod = 130
Rail = 0
Mags =0

In short, we're talking about a $2K outlay vs a $4K outlay.
Also, you can re-barrel with a top-of-the-line aftermarket barrel and still come in $1500 under if the match chamber doesn't meet you expectations.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 AM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or ....... you could just rebarrel your 457 varmint with a top line barrel.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
Not actually sure of the 457 action is worse or better than a 54 Anschutz... Yea sacrilegious right? The 457 trigger is definitely not as good... I do know that I have a number of 54 rifles and my 457 - with an replacement barrel - shoots as well as any of my Anschutz with both factory and aftermarket barrels.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:00 AM
1dogdown
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Vudoo for the win.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Concorde
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
That was my thought. Action is the same, so why not just "MTR" with another barrel, either an actual CZ MTR barrel or some other top-line match-chambered barrel?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:30 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, to be clear, the question is not CZ v. Anschutz v. Vudoo.
If I had Anschutz or Vudoo money, I'd go that route.
All I'm really asking is the 457's "match chambered" barrels are that much different than their standard heavy barrels.
Re custom barrels, I'm not headed that way yet.
I'd like to set up a second rig (gun/scope/bipod) and I'd like to come in around $2K for the rig.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
That was my thought. Action is the same, so why not just "MTR" with another barrel, either an actual CZ MTR barrel or some other top-line match-chambered barrel?
I'm trying to set up a second rifle.
If CZ sold actioned barrels, I'd probably just order one in, but don't think that's an option.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
Not actually sure of the 457 action is worse or better than a 54 Anschutz... Yea sacrilegious right? The 457 trigger is definitely not as good... I do know that I have a number of 54 rifles and my 457 - with an replacement barrel - shoots as well as any of my Anschutz with both factory and aftermarket barrels.
What kind of aftermarket barrel are you running on your 457?
Old 10-14-2020, 12:19 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is possible I might offer some input perceived as value. This is based on performance vs price vs pride of ownership. Mark1964, it is my opinion you basically have two directions in my mind.

1. Take the MTR you already own. Remove the stock and barrel, sell those for whatever amount you can get and buy an aftermarket stock/chassi and an IBI barrel. IMO the wood has to go.

So, $392 shipped for the barrel. $350 shipped for a KRG Bravo from Anarchy Outdoors. For less than $800 you could have a rifle that looks like the below, minus black barrel, insert stainless.
This is a stock photo from the KRG website.

2. You could do the same as above but buy a cheap/used 457 rifle for the receiver and bolt. Then you would have your primary rifle and use the MTR for a backup.

This is my 457 and the results I can get.

This is the barrel you can buy for $392 delivered. Actually all you really need to do is buy this barrel, it will work with your current MTR stock (if you can live with that). Only you can decide if it's worth it based on the accuracy you are now getting. Also, I do have a lot more than just these plates. Only if interested I'd show more. Same ammo, different ammo, same ammo different lot numbers doesn't matter. Pretty much the same results. I would never hesitate in a second to not use this rifle in any match I would compete in.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:25 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More replies were made before my first reply. If you want another rifle most definitely take the Number 2 route. Buy a used or the cheapest 457 you can for the receiver and bolt and add to it. That's exactly what I did. I bought a Scout model when Scouts were cheap for $314 delivered. Sold the stock and barrel on GB for something like $125. I found my MPA for $750 shipped on Anarchy Outdoors. Forget what the barrel cost. The barrel has a Calfee 4 chamber. That's what all the IBI rimfire barrels have now with the exception of the 10/22 maybe.