Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:01 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally made it to the range with the MTR

I've had my MTR since early March. Until yesterday I had only managed to get it to a local indoor range which didn't tell me much. Yesterday I finally made the trip to the Clybel shooting range for a bit of fun. The first few test targets are pictured below in the order they were shot. The bore was dry patched a few times between ammo types. By the time I got around to the Lapua the wind had picked up and the bore was getting pretty dirty so I packed up and came home.

I learned a few things while there. First of all, my bench technique needs a lot of rust removal, which should explain at least some of the vertical stringing. Also, the MTR doesn't seem to be too picky about ammo. It shot good and not so good groups with whatever it was fed.

One question mark did come up though. While at the first trip to the indoor range I noticed it took a lot of up elevation and right windage to get zeroed. I thought it might be an issue with the Warne rings so I replaced them with JP bases and Burris Signature Zee rings. Turns out that the Warne rings were not the problem.

I boresighted the rifle at home and used the offset inserts to get rid of most of the windage problem but at this point I have about 18 moa of elev cranked in to get zeroed. Scope is a Sightron S-Tac 3x16. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SK Std+ 8-8-20.jpg (487.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg SK RIfle Match 8-8-2020.jpg (485.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg SK Pistol Match 8-8-20.jpg (485.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Lapua Center X 8-8-20.jpg (486.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by DavidStone; 08-09-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lots of elevation to get it dialed in for sure... Have no idea but would remove the barrel and make sure there was no crud or whatever in the fitment. Check the torque on the barrel screws and make sure the barrel channel in the stock has no interference.

Basing the performance of a particular ammunition on a single test box of ammunition is definitely hit or miss as some lots of ammo perform considerably better than others in a particular rifle.

Good luck and hopefully you will find the problem and it will be a simple fix.....
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
Lots of elevation to get it dialed in for sure... Have no idea but would remove the barrel and make sure there was no crud or whatever in the fitment. Check the torque on the barrel screws and make sure the barrel channel in the stock has no interference.

Basing the performance of a particular ammunition on a single test box of ammunition is definitely hit or miss as some lots of ammo perform considerably better than others in a particular rifle.

Good luck and hopefully you will find the problem and it will be a simple fix.....
Thanks for the good advice. Before the gun was ever fired I disassembled everything except the trigger mechanism and gave it a good cleaning and proper lube. The barrel screws were torqued to 32 in lb and the stock screws set at 27 in lb. There could well be a bedding issue I missed though.

You are most certainly correct about the ammo. All I proved on this trip is that the MTR has potential. The learning process has only begun. Sure was fun though.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Nice job

Signalman
Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Get that thing squared away and come on over to the monthly 25 yard scoped match and join our fun. I'm sure those groups will tighten right up at 25 yds.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Signalman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
Get that thing squared away and come on over to the monthly 25 yard scoped match and join our fun. I'm sure those groups will tighten right up at 25 yds.
Thanks much for the offer. I doubt I'll be ready this month but plan on seeing me there in September!

I did a quick check on the MTR after work this afternoon. I found some of the ring screws had loosened up as had the action screws. Burris said loc tite was not necessary but if it happens again I'll ignore that advice. My torque wrench WILL be going to the range with me next trip.

The barrel is fully free floated all the way to the action. A good bedding job would help but that will likely wait till this coming winter. Right now I just want to enjoy shooting it.

Edited to add the following:

Below is the first three five shot groups shot at 25 yds after sighting in.

Looking back I should have known something had worked it's way loose. The POI shift on the Lapua target pretty much screams that.

My plan at this time is to put a brick of SK ammo through the MTR before doing any serious ammo or lot testing. Hopefully by then the gun will be well sorted out. Honestly, I pretty much expect this kind of stuff with any new rifle. Nothing new...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SK Std+ 25 yd 8-8-20.jpg (484.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by DavidStone; 08-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Carney Pace

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If you are going to Loctite get the Purple, it is designed for small diameter thread application. When it is set up it can be removed without the application of heat.
OR the old stand by finger nail polish.
Carney
Old 09-05-2020, 06:29 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been kinda busy but thought I'd post an update.

First of all, I pulled the barrel off the MTR, cleaned the tang and receiver and carefully reinstalled it. Torqued the screws in 3 in.lb. increments to 32 in. lb. I also installed a DIP 25 moa rail and Burris rings. The mount is solid. The medium height rings put the scope pretty close to the action but there is clearance.

I had a question about the mount and while on the phone with Bob at DIP we discussed the scope alignment issue. He was quite helpful and suggested that I have a good gunsmith check the barrel shoulder to make sure it is square. Something wrong with the barrel alignment is the only thing that makes sense really.

Also, the MTR really needs a bedding job. Since they're only an hour or so from where I live I gave American Precision Arms a call. They are primarily custom builders of high end hunting and tactical rifles but agreed to do the bedding job and take a look at the barrel fit. I will be dropping the gun off with them in the next week or so.

Finally, I made it to the range long enough to get the gun sighted in and a few targets shot. I used SK pistol match with the results below. The wind started kicking up and I decided to call it a day. I think when I get the issues sorted out and I can do some ammo testing the gun will be OK.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200830_173753.jpg (509.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20200905_170706.jpg (475.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20200905_170806.jpg (473.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by DavidStone; 09-05-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:42 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are excellent groups, considering that you are using targets sized for shooting at 50 feet. You could multiply the size of the group by .66 to see what you'd get at 50 feet. Not sure why to bother, though.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:03 AM
balvenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some of those groups are very nice, which could indicate potential for more consistency. The bedding job will be very interesting and if you are working on your benchresting technique too, things could get very good I am not the one to speak on that but others here are only too happy t o help, from what I have read

Good Luck mate
Old 09-06-2020, 11:28 AM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the kind words. There are indeed some great folks here at RFC!

At this point my bench technique needs a lot more work than the MTR does. One thing I noticed during my testing is that the MTR likes a clean barrel. As one example, yesterday I noticed accuracy going down a bit after less than 50 rounds. I ran a couple of patches soaked with Gun Scrubber followed by a couple of dry patches down the barrel. The next five shot group I fired was one of the tightest I shot all day. That's with no fouling shots. Kinda the opposite of what I'm used to with rimfires.

Dave

Last edited by DavidStone; 09-06-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:34 PM
balvenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re #11
Rimfire barrels are a law unto themselves Dave
I had a Kimber that would not group without 50 rounds of fouling in it
Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Appalachian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStone View Post
Thanks for the kind words. There are indeed some great folks here at RFC!

At this point my bench technique needs a lot more work than the MTR does. One thing I noticed during my testing is that the MTR likes a clean barrel. As one example, yesterday I noticed accuracy going down a bit after less than 50 rounds. I ran a couple of patches soaked with Gun Scrubber followed by a couple of dry patches down the barrel. The next five shot group I fired was one of the tightest I shot all day. That's with no fouling shots. Kinda the opposite of what I'm used to with rimfires.

Dave
It might just be my imagination, but two of my CZ’s shoot better when just cleaned. After 100 rounds or so accuracy starts to fall off. I considered that maybe my concentration started waning after 100 rounds, but that’s not it as I have started Shooting sessions with an uncleaned barrel with the same results.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:06 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
It might just be my imagination, but two of my CZís shoot better when just cleaned. After 100 rounds or so accuracy starts to fall off. I considered that maybe my concentration started waning after 100 rounds, but thatís not it as I have started Shooting sessions with an uncleaned barrel with the same results.
Mine is apparently the same. I wonder if that's due to the fact that CZ barrels are a bit tighter than most?

Quote:
Rimfire barrels are a law unto themselves Dave
I had a Kimber that would not group without 50 rounds of fouling in it
Indeed they can be. I don't know which would be the lesser problem of the two, having to stop and clean a couple of times every range trip or going through a box of ammo before things settle down.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:24 PM
DavidStone
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's in the shop

Yesterday I made the two hour round trip to drop the MTR off at American Precision Arms ( https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/ ). They are going to bed the action and check the barrel alignment etc. I was told it would take 4-6 weeks, maybe less.

They are located in a building at the local airport, with no name on the door. Indiscreet, and that's the way they want it. Their shop was a bit of a surprise. With the high end guns they produce I was expecting something of a nice showroom with a few really nice rifles on display. Instead, I walked into a small office with awards covering most of the walls. There was the smell of oil and machinery, not air freshener. I was greeted by a very nice lady named Mandy who quickly summoned Dan, their GM and working gunsmith. Super nice guy and more than helpful. He did mention that the gunsmith who would be doing my work was something of a rimfire buff himself. He also made it clear that he could make no promises on the barrel without looking at it first. I like that kind of honesty! Overall, my first impression was a good one to say the least.

Can't wait to see what happens when I get it back.

Last edited by DavidStone; 09-12-2020 at 04:26 PM.