Pay It Forward + Downsize + Add 457 At-One - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Pay It Forward + Downsize + Add 457 At-One

I handed a CZ 512 SemiAuto & CZ 455 Trainer (both 22 LR) over to my Son-In-Law for the grandson's (ages 12 & 9) so they can start to enjoy shooting targets with a 22LR. I'm not sure if you can use the "Pay-It-Forward" title when it's family members . . . but I reduced my inventory by (2) for the time being. Both seem to enjoy shooting but are not as excited about the pellet gun I had given them a couple of years back. I have a granddaughter (age 9 also) but she hasn't expressed interest in shooting as yet. I have a couple of S&W M&P 15-22's but am holding off on those for the time being. Once they show me they can take care of the CZ's we "may" turn over the 15-22's.

Since my access to funding projects is limited in these retirement days; I went through the inventory and picked out a few 22 LR pistols I just don't get around to shooting - so I thought I would give someone else the chance to enjoy them. I'll consider this part of my "Down Sizing" effort as well as funding for my CZ habit.

The LGS had a one CZ 457 Varmint At-One (22 LR) with a 24" barrel that I had on my "potential list" in fact I was going to buy one a few weeks back but found a 457 Lux with some "nice" wood which altered my plans. Long story short I was able to fully fund the At-One with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO scope and a set of 30 mm Warne rings to go with it. I happen to have a 457 rail so that setup turned out to give me the desired height required for the AO on the front of the 50mm scope objective with just enough room left to put the scope covers on.

So I now have a 457 Varmint MTR, 457 Lux with nice wood, & the Varmint At-One which rounds out the "Got To Have One of Those 457 Models" list I thought about back when the 457 were initially announced and this brings my on-sight CZ rimfire inventory back to 14 when I include my other 452, 453, 455, & 512 models.

Initial At-One observations:

This At-One stock was the lessor desired of the two they had available a few weeks back, but I was happy to pass on the nicer looking one to fellow RFC member CaptBill252 at the time. While I prefer "nice" Turkish walnut wood, I'm certainly okay with laminated in fact have (2) other CZ 455 Varmints with laminated stocks. This one seems to be finished fairly well, the locking lug was a little loose but put a temporary fix in place with a piece of electrical tape and will fix that later on. Obviously, no pillar bedding in this one but may add that if the need arises.

I like the design of the AtOne Varmint barrel which starts out at the typical varmint barrel size but tapers down to .730 at the tip. This makes it larger than the American or Lux barrels, but smaller than the straight .865 varmints. It is threaded which might mean something to somebody in the future. The Nitrate finish is fine in my book . . . certainly no glare problems.

The action is fairly smooth but I did run a little steel wool over the bolt to take off any little burr's that might be there. I would rate it above average out of the box and can certainly do some additional polishing if needed.

The trigger is crisp with no take-up and breaks at just under 3 lbs. I am purposely leaving it set for the time being, but will adjust down it down in the future. My MTR is set @ 7 oz which is great for using off the bench.

I disassembled, cleaned, checked the barrel screws, lightly lubed the trigger & action parts, replaced the stock, set the action screws @ 18 lbs as an initial setting. Mounted the rail, Warne rings, & Vortex scope and am ready for my first range session.

Note for Signalman - I am hoping they will come out with a 24" 22 WMR barrel to match up with the .865 to .730 taper sometime in the future.

Here are a few pictures (not the best light) . . . just to prove I did get one . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0914.jpg (324.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0915.jpg (221.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (413.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (433.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 PM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess this would be a good place to give you a formal.... THANK YOU for hooking me up with the AT-One. Who would have thought the stars would align and there would be 2 At-Ones hanging out in Nebraska. I even got to take my pick of the wood with pictures you sent to me in North Carolina. I absolutely love the gun and I'm about to make the decision that the At-One is more accurate than the MTR. Especially out of the box, with ONLY 125 rounds through it.

I've only had this dreaded CZ sickness for 7 months now. It started when my wife told me to "Go ahead and get the tack driver you've been talking about".
I searched for an AT-One for a month and settled for the MTR. At that time, the only AT-one for sale was in Australia. I had conversation with CZ and Boyd's, the stock maker.

Thanks rjferber.

You're mighty humble about the 457 Lux with the "Nice" wood.
You have an award winning piece of walnut there.
If you EVER see another as pretty as yours.........

This is my collection of CZs so far. All 457s and love them.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1904.jpg (553.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Last month I sorta "gave" my cousin a 455 Stainless/Synthetic, and two of my nephews got RARs. I told them to "keep" them for me on my visits up there (another state), but to use them as their own whenever they wanted to do so. I even included the ammo that each rifle was zero-ed for, and a couple of spare magazines.

I have plenty of other rimfires, and those made room for more, if I want to replace them. The RARs were of the "Predator" type, nice enough, but a pain because they have the extraction issues most RARs seem to have.
The cousin got the stainless 455, simply because I thought he'd appreciate it more than the nephews, his own .22s are farm workhorses at best. It was time for him to move up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Rjferber sir great job sharing your love for shooting with other members of your family.

Nice rifle that At One looks fantastic

Thanks for thinking of me.

Signalman
Old 09-12-2019, 02:32 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow.. while I'm circling the wagons on popping for a 457 Varmint..

your collection is ... WOW !
Old 09-13-2019, 04:31 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 457 At-One First Range Session

I spent some time at the range this morning with the new CZ 457 At-One in 22 LR. I selected the following ammo types for this initial session:
  • CCI - Std Vel - 40 grain @ 1,070 fps
  • Norma - Match-22 - 40 grain @ 1,100 fps
  • Geco - Rifle Match - 40 grain @ 1,083 fps
  • Wolf - Match Target - 40 grain @ 1,073 fps (Older Lapua made)

I fired (10) 5 shot groups using all 50 rounds from each box, doing a bit of scope adjusting on several groups. I shot the entire box of 50 without any cleaning between ammo types. All shots were taken @ 50 yards off a bench with Caldwell Rock Jr front rest & Protektor rear bag. I did not bring my chronograph along but expect the velocities would be up slightly from the published fps due to the tighter bore and the 24.5" barrel.
  • The CCI Std Vel did fairly well with most groups at or slightly under .5".
  • The Wolf Match Target did well . . . producing the most groups the .25 - .40 range.
  • The Geco Rifle Match was the most sporadic with 2-3 groups @ .75-1.00"
  • The Norma Match 22 produced decent results with most groups in the .4-.5"

Absolutely flawless execution across all (4) boxes of ammo with no failures to load, fire, or extract. The action was smooth and easy to cycle the next round into battery. I did load 5 rounds into the mag as I forgot my single shot adapter. I will attach some target images as soon as I get them cropped, labeled, & moved to this computer.

Overall I'm pleased with the initial results. I need to adjust the trigger and test SK Std Plus, Rifle & Pistol Match ammo. As soon as I get a few more rounds through each rifle this is going to require a shoot-off between the 457 MTR, Lux, & At-One.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0921.jpg (112.2 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0922.jpg (292.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0920.jpg (149.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0923.jpg (198.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0919.jpg (290.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 09-13-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Adding Target Images
Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
That'll put a smile on your face.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 AM
DGNY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Truly excellent shooting and reporting. We await with great interest your further findings. That is one fine shooting rifle!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
rjferber sir super nice job there but you do know with the +24" barrel your half way to the target LOL.

You will make everybody here want one with results like that. Thanks for sharing...and to all those people who said that a 457 can't shoot...well here is proof that they can.

You are even getting me excited to get one (457) in my favorite caliber. There is just so many great changes to the 457 line...this should be a no brainer for a lot of folks here. I wish those were my targets.

If I need back up at Cedarville I know just who to call.

Signalman
Old 09-14-2019, 12:21 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Signalman - Thanks for the kind words . . . The CZs I have been privileged to acquire are far more capable than I am in shooting them, but I certainly enjoy trying - as I learn each time I go to the range, with the end goal to continue to improve. Nice groups off the bench @ 50 yards is one thing . . . Off-hand at 50-100 yards will show how much the needs to keep practicing.

The CZ At-One has been an interesting product to watch since it was announced. The CZ website only shows the (2) 22 LR models (02365 & 02366), however, initial delivery seemed to be the 17 HMRs (02367 & 02368). They choose to leave the 22 WMR out for reasons yet to be shared . . . at least when I asked. I feel that was short-sighted, but I'm not part of their marketing research dept.

I was drawn somewhat by the adjustable, laminated stock as I thought it might benefit other family members, but more so by the new tapered (24") varmint barrel. Being larger than the American, Lux, & Trainer barrels, but tapered to .735, thus smaller than the typical .865 varmint. I prefer the looks of the 24" as well, rather than the 16.5" or 20.5" version for this particular configuration.

Since I acquired a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet, the 17 HMR with its consistently inconsistent ammo has dropped in my favor as I feel the 17 Hornet runs circles around the 17 rimfire offerings based on my experience.

Back to the 457 Varmint At-One in 22 WMR . . . I think this would make an interesting option, so I keep suggesting CZ should make one. We will have to see if they offer the 24" tapered barrels down the road.

I plan to use this At-One for some longer distance prone shooting as well as off-hand for Metallic silhouette shooting and based on what I have seen thus far . . . am pretty sure any misses will be due to my inability rather than the rifle.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for posting, rjferber. The CZ AT-ONE has caught my eye, and I perused this forum looking for info on the rifle. Your thread is the first one I found.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Bigbluegill

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
rjferber , I went and looked up the pictures your 457 Lux . All I can say is WOW ! Definitely a lottery winner.
I hope mine looks that good when I pick it up this week . Kirby
Old 10-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Stratplexi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Really like the At One but my heart is set on a .22 Mag for my next rifle. I guess it will be an American.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:08 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
rj, thanks for two bits of info I wanted.

I didn't know who made the old Wolf. Do you know what kind of Lapua it is, or was it separate, not rebranded?

Also thanks for mentioning the muzzle diameter of the 24" At-One barrel. I had wondered if it was the same barrel as the Trainer but without sights.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 PM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
I handed a CZ 512 SemiAuto & CZ 455 Trainer (both 22 LR) over to my Son-In-Law for the grandson's (ages 12 & 9) so they can start to enjoy shooting targets with a 22LR. I'm not sure if you can use the "Pay-It-Forward" title when it's family members . . . but I reduced my inventory by (2) for the time being. Both seem to enjoy shooting but are not as excited about the pellet gun I had given them a couple of years back. I have a granddaughter (age 9 also) but she hasn't expressed interest in shooting as yet. I have a couple of S&W M&P 15-22's but am holding off on those for the time being. Once they show me they can take care of the CZ's we "may" turn over the 15-22's.

Since my access to funding projects is limited in these retirement days; I went through the inventory and picked out a few 22 LR pistols I just don't get around to shooting - so I thought I would give someone else the chance to enjoy them. I'll consider this part of my "Down Sizing" effort as well as funding for my CZ habit.

The LGS had a one CZ 457 Varmint At-One (22 LR) with a 24" barrel that I had on my "potential list" in fact I was going to buy one a few weeks back but found a 457 Lux with some "nice" wood which altered my plans. Long story short I was able to fully fund the At-One with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO scope and a set of 30 mm Warne rings to go with it. I happen to have a 457 rail so that setup turned out to give me the desired height required for the AO on the front of the 50mm scope objective with just enough room left to put the scope covers on.

So I now have a 457 Varmint MTR, 457 Lux with nice wood, & the Varmint At-One which rounds out the "Got To Have One of Those 457 Models" list I thought about back when the 457 were initially announced and this brings my on-sight CZ rimfire inventory back to 14 when I include my other 452, 453, 455, & 512 models.

Initial At-One observations:

This At-One stock was the lessor desired of the two they had available a few weeks back, but I was happy to pass on the nicer looking one to fellow RFC member CaptBill252 at the time. While I prefer "nice" Turkish walnut wood, I'm certainly okay with laminated in fact have (2) other CZ 455 Varmints with laminated stocks. This one seems to be finished fairly well, the locking lug was a little loose but put a temporary fix in place with a piece of electrical tape and will fix that later on. Obviously, no pillar bedding in this one but may add that if the need arises.

I like the design of the AtOne Varmint barrel which starts out at the typical varmint barrel size but tapers down to .730 at the tip. This makes it larger than the American or Lux barrels, but smaller than the straight .865 varmints. It is threaded which might mean something to somebody in the future. The Nitrate finish is fine in my book . . . certainly no glare problems.

The action is fairly smooth but I did run a little steel wool over the bolt to take off any little burr's that might be there. I would rate it above average out of the box and can certainly do some additional polishing if needed.

The trigger is crisp with no take-up and breaks at just under 3 lbs. I am purposely leaving it set for the time being, but will adjust down it down in the future. My MTR is set @ 7 oz which is great for using off the bench.

I disassembled, cleaned, checked the barrel screws, lightly lubed the trigger & action parts, replaced the stock, set the action screws @ 18 lbs as an initial setting. Mounted the rail, Warne rings, & Vortex scope and am ready for my first range session.

Note for Signalman - I am hoping they will come out with a 24" 22 WMR barrel to match up with the .865 to .730 taper sometime in the future.

Here are a few pictures (not the best light) . . . just to prove I did get one . . .
Very nice, I'm leaning and liking that one more and more! thanks for the pictures!
Rick