JG Landmann .22 Mag - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
SG2000
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
JG Landmann .22 Mag

Hello again, with another oddity. I have now become the proud? owner of a Landmann 22 Magnum semi auto. This fine specimen of German engineering came into my possession minus a magazine and with a mutilated sear/trigger. I just finished shaping and timing the re-welded sear (stellite is great!) and will now ask if anyone has some suggestions for a suitable magazine donor. I have located only one hideously priced example in Germany, but some good old Yankee ingenuity should overcome that hurdle. To help narrow the field of contestants, the magazine is tapered front to back like a current Savage 93 magazine and it would almost be sized right, minus the wings on the back and the little ridge down the front of the mag. The Marlin is rectangular and won't fit in the mag-well, the Anschutz and CZ are too narrow, the Accelerator/Automag are raked to the rear and the H&R/HK are the wrong profile. I would love to hear from my fellow forum members of any other possibles that I have yet to investigate. My hope is to find a plentiful and reasonably priced donor to modify so that I may create several for myself or future fool (I mean owner). I may go the route of modifying the mag-well very slightly to allow the Savage to work, but I will do that as a last resort. Thanks in advance for any input and until I find my camera I present this as a pacifier:
http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...enum=1&lang=En

Mine has a boring normal looking sporter stock, but the action is identical. This thing is an AR-7 action on steroids.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
some of the mossberg mags are tapered but i don't think they are long enough for the WMR.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 PM
SG2000

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thanks for the thought, but the Moosebergs actually are the same as the current Savage design. I just did not mention it with the others. I just noticed that there was the tiniest and faintest of stamping on the side of the barrel when I had it out of the stock and it was imported by Mandall's Shooters Supply in Brooklyn N.Y. probably in 1973. The plot thickens!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Good luck - miracles do happen, I found a ft. sight for my Voere garden gun here
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
SG2000

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have been patient in the past and find the darndest things when I stop looking. Unfortunately, most of the companies that have offered .22 Mags had a bad habit of "borrowing" a pre-existing magazine design and of course the Germans decided this one had to be unique. I will probably see exactly how much trimming the Savage/Mossberg mags will require. Oh well, maybe at least I will find another owner to chat with in the mean time.
Mark
Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Squires Bingham
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the weird looks of the Landman you posted as a sample. I wonder if they made these in .22 LR? Good luck finding a mag for it.
I remember the name, "Mandall Shooting Supply". I used to browse gun catalogs all the time back in the 80s and that name is familiar. I think they imported some kind of assault rifle, maybe a Eqyptian AK? Just trying to think back many years passed.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
SG2000

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
SB,
Yes they made them in .22 l.r. since that is what the receiver casting says, it was XXXXXXXX'd out and marked .22 Magnum. Mandall's was in Phoenix up until a couple of years ago, but they seem to have fallen victim to the economy. The Tommy gun style stock actually makes more sense than the sporting stock from an ergonomics standpoint because the trigger reach is ridiculous. I can't help myself when it comes to oddballs and basket cases. I have a Remington No. 4 rolling block that was a trashed .32rf and I just received the .17 caliber liner to proceed towards a .17 HMR once I get it fitted and spring for a reamer. On a side note about the Landmann, the IRA had a fondness for converting them to full auto and making life unpleasant for the Queen's troops. I feel better now that the internals are corrected so if I get a wild hair to try it as a single shot, I can, without slam-firing. I figure that the trigger slap when it cycles and catches the hammer will probably be less than fun, but it is a heck of a simplistic design. All they did to make it handle the magnum round was to add about 4" to the bolt and put that funky looking appendage off the back of the receiver to allow for the longer bolt. I appreciate the responses.
Mark
Old 05-09-2021, 09:03 PM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I have one of these and luckily ...mine came with three magazines...It certainly looks like a Mossberg or Savage .22 Magnum magazine could easily be modified to work.