Finally Gave In . . . - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Finally Gave In . . .

After a couple of years of looking at the pros and cons of the rimfire, chassis platform; I finally talked myself into acquiring a CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis. I had considered the option of adding a chassis & stock to one of my 455 Varmints but the cost of the chassis & stock cost as much as an entire rifle . . . at least the options I looked at. I also considered the lower cost of the Savage B22 Precision Chassis but the trigger, safety, introduction of another new magazine, and not being able to easily swap the barrel (if needed) eliminated that option as well.

One of the LGS had what I considered a reasonable price on a 16.5" barrel configuration and they also give me a decent trade-in on a 455 American Synthetic & 455 Varmint Tacticool, which funded most of the 457 Varmint Precision Chassis. I had a Nikon 6-18x40 SF Target scope on hand along with a set of Warne Rimfire rings which eliminated the need for additional cash outlay. I added M-Lok QD for retro-fitting one of my Outdoor Connection slings and one additional mount for a bipod and am set for the initial range session.

But that is currently on hold as I had Rotator Cuff & Bicep Tendon repair work done on my left shoulder and will have to wait for that to heal and get out of the sling.

I am pleased (for the most part) with the project at this point. I would prefer a 20" Varmint barrel as I'm just not a fan o the 16.5" length ( the muzzle device gives it a better look IMHO ) but we will see how it shoots. The Luth-AR stock is "ok" once tighten down but requires hex tools to make any adjustments.

I plan on shooting this at 50-75-100 yards against my CZ 457 LRP configuration which recently was given a Mueller 8-32x44 AO scope . . . so that needs a range session as well before the Me, Myself, & I - Head to Head matches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1529.jpeg (103.1 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1530.jpeg (103.9 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1535.jpeg (109.1 KB, 361 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 04:58 PM
BRNO/CZluvr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Mighty fine rifles you have. I agree about the short barrel. I would also prefer the 20 or even a 24 in barrel. The 16in barrel may be really accurate. Best of luck on your recovery.

Last edited by BRNO/CZluvr; 04-20-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Wow you poor guy I can see that smile all the way over here. Congrats

Signalman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2021, 05:54 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Somethin' tells me its gonna shoot reeaaal good.....
Old 04-20-2021, 07:43 PM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been mulling over this same decision for a while now. I am not a huge fan of the 16.5" barrel either. The muzzle device makes the look a little easier to take but cleaning them is a chore. I have a 457 varmint that I have thought about dropping into a XLR Element chassis but by the time all that is said and done I have more tied up in that than I would with the precision chassis offering from CZ and I still wouldn't have the upgraded match chamber. From reading the hype the 16.5 bull is pushed for it purported stiffness.

The two issues I have with my Varmint is the length of pull and after shattering my right wrist a few years back with a decreased range of motion, the grip angle when shooting off a rest is difficult at times.

Interested to hear your opinions after taking it to the range.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 PM
Pipes1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am new to the shooting sports so have nothing to use as a comparison but have been thrilled with the performance of my CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis. Having a ball at the range and some of the matches here on RFC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D85_6016-Edit.jpg (436.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope the shoulder repair goes as well as mine did, after I tore all my rotator cuff tendons off and... tore one of the bicep tendons almost in half. Doc said at my age I didn't need the bicep tendon and just snipped it loose! What? No more pumping iron in the gym @ age 74.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:05 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nice guns!
Not to derail the topic, but how did you guys tear up your shoulders and bicep tendons? Sounds like I'd prefer to avoid that...
Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Mine shoots exceptionally well with several different loads.

I used the loop side of Velcro strips to remove the wiggle from the stock.
It's nice and right now while still allowing tool free adjustment.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:03 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good to hear the encouraging reports from those who have the 457 Precision Chassis setups. I installed a Bscar, 25 MOA extended rail to give my Nikon 4-16x40 Target scope additional, vertical adjustment for extended range shooting. I also swapped out the pistol grip for a Houge version as I prefer a slightly softer grip with finger grooves.

Off the bench, I plan to use my "New To Me" Sinclair Heavy Varmint front rest and Protektor rear bag, which should provide a very stable platform. I have to get some time in the prone position to see if that bipod shown in the picture will work . . . or if I'll need to switch to a shorter version. I suppose that is something I could be working on at home while I am waiting.

The shoulder is healing well and I have my one-month follow-up with the surgeon tomorrow morning. The PT staff say we are making excellent progress. I will be asking about getting back to shooting . . . at least on a limited basis. Obviously, no off-hand rifle shooting at this point and racking slides on semi-autos is not yet appropriate, but I plan to test out some "limited" bench dry-fire practice at home with my Mantis X3 Shooting Performance System. I've used it for centerfire pistol practice while watching TV but have not tested it out on any rimfire rifles . . . Not sure why I didn't think of that before.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
Good to hear the encouraging reports from those who have the 457 Precision Chassis setups. I installed a Bscar, 25 MOA extended rail to give my Nikon 4-16x40 Target scope additional, vertical adjustment for extended range shooting. I also swapped out the pistol grip for a Houge version as I prefer a slightly softer grip with finger grooves.

Off the bench, I plan to use my "New To Me" Sinclair Heavy Varmint front rest and Protektor rear bag, which should provide a very stable platform. I have to get some time in the prone position to see if that bipod shown in the picture will work . . . or if I'll need to switch to a shorter version. I suppose that is something I could be working on at home while I am waiting.

The shoulder is healing well and I have my one-month follow-up with the surgeon tomorrow morning. The PT staff say we are making excellent progress. I will be asking about getting back to shooting . . . at least on a limited basis. Obviously, no off-hand rifle shooting at this point and racking slides on semi-autos is not yet appropriate, but I plan to test out some "limited" bench dry-fire practice at home with my Mantis X3 Shooting Performance System. I've used it for centerfire pistol practice while watching TV but have not tested it out on any rimfire rifles . . . Not sure why I didn't think of that before.

I use the same rest and it is exceptionally stable.

You should be well pleased.