Ordering a Cooper - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:56 AM
GSPFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ordering a Cooper

Has anyone ordered a Cooper rifle? I'm giving it some consideration as I really can't find what I want. First Stop had a a Western Classic that would have worked but I'm not a fan of the high gloss finish. I've thought of going with a custom build but finding a suitable action is proving to be difficult.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:45 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camster must be sleeping in.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Camster must be sleeping in.
Haha.
For what Cooper wants for a custom build, you should talk to LeRoy at Canyon Creek Custom Gun Stocks and he'll build anything that you like. Check out his website.
Simply the best at what he does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 01:21 PM
GSPFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got a great smith 10 minuets away that has built a half dozen plus custom center fire rifles for me. As I haven't found a suitable action at a reasonable price I thought just start with the Cooper. I have three of their varmint rifles and love them.

Anyone here have an action they would part with?
Old 05-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've ordered couple, and have been happy with the process and results.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:54 PM
GSPFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good to hear Bob. What was the approximate turn around time?
Old 05-09-2021, 02:09 PM
boatammo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
94% (32)
ordering a Cooper

I've ordered a few. Went and picked out wood on 2 of them. Everything went very well. Took about 6 months but this was a number of years ago. This was when they were at the old location. Super people to deal with.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:54 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Haha.
For what Cooper wants for a custom build, you should talk to LeRoy at Canyon Creek Custom Gun Stocks and he'll build anything that you like. Check out his website.
Simply the best at what he does.
Couldn't agree more! LeRoy and Connie are artists of the first order. And they can build exactly what you're looking for.

Doug
Old 05-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"What was the approximate turn around time?"
__________________________________________________ __

I honestly don't remember. I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy. Why, I don't even get upset if I don't get emails that "we received your order", or "Jack started the checkering today". Obviously I'm out of touch with the modern world.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:07 PM
GSPFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Getting one custom built by Canyon Creek or my smith isn't an issue finding an action to go that route is the hurdle.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:08 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Most truly best quality rimfire bolt guns are based on a Winchester 52 action. I would buy a well worn and modified Winchester 52C, strip the action, and sell what’s left to offset the cost. Send it to LeRoy or your guy, and you’ll be set.
TBR
Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Most truly best quality rimfire bolt guns are based on a Winchester 52 action. I would buy a well worn and modified Winchester 52C, strip the action, and sell what’s left to offset the cost. Send it to LeRoy or your guy, and you’ll be set.
TBR
I came close to doing that a few years ago. No need to start with a well worn and modified gun. My lgs had a nice unmolested example for $1k.Others are out there. The sell off parts would have realized more than parts off of a beater.
If you're spending $5k+ on custom work, what's another few hundred to start off with a lower mileage unit.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM
pacecars

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did see that Canyon Creek has some Anschutz actions in stock. I think a Remington 40x or Ultralight Arms Model 20 would be good candidates for custom rifles but definitely not cheap starting points. Might just be worth the wait for the Cooper
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
TBR
Camster, I actually agree with you on this, but the nameless, faceless collectors of the future and the unseen collector gods (according to the very vocal collectors here) will hold one responsible posthumously for crimes against humanity if one were to modify a not-yet-modified rifle, so in mild deference to them, I mentioned the well-worn example as the best course of action. Still, nothing is going to wear out on a 52C action, so the difference is the degree of offset one can realize with the better take-off parts.
Getting back to actions, I literally just sold an already heavily and expertly customized 52C barreled action (added tang and safety, sleeker receiver styling, trigger restyled, bottom metal, M70 bolt handle, etc) to someone here, so I can’t really help by providing an action. I doubt Melvin will make you just a rimfire action anymore, although one might catch him in a rare good mood. The OP also missed out on that Dakota 22 stand-alone action on GB last week. The Mauser B action is often used as a basis of full-blown customs, but the repeating versions are pretty scarce. There are others, the 40x, the M37, the M78, and others like the newly manufactured 40x-style clones, but I would take a 52 over all of those, so we’re back to stripping a 52 rifle. Personally, while I like Coopers in general and the discontinued M38 in particular, the 57M almost seems unworthy of all-out custom treatment, unless Cooper does the whole thing, so it’s a total Cooper. So, maybe the OP is right? Dunno. I still think I would go the 52 route.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 05-10-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:40 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
TBR, as you know, I did exactly that with a Winchester 52B (1949 vintage). Though it wasn't worn out, it was a heavy barrel and I really wanted an elegant sporter. I asked for "guidance/advice" here among the Winchester fans about whether I should do the conversion. Some said absolutely not, while most urged me to proceed. As I was strongly inclined in that direction, I took the advice of the latter folks. It went off to Canyon Creek, and after discussions with LeRoy about particulars, I got it back about seven months later. I do NOT regret it. That rifle is among my most prized possessions.

Doug