lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2fish View Post
For what its worth.
I took my elder dad fishing and he got two ticks from where he parked.
Should have checked him first.
He got two bites, and it gave him a new allergy to meat and seafood. Never had that before. Also a doctor said it damaged one heart valve. He had a heart valve replaced, and pace maker installed too.
All of that happened in short time after the tick bites. The doctors said it was extremely likely that the bites caused both issues.
Be safe out there!
At my last house that was wooded, I had ticks crawling on me and my dog just about every day during the summer months. Too many to count. I got used to feeling them on me, and usually got them before they became attached. My dog got lyme disease twice, but I never did.
There's a lady who lives nearby who was unfortunate enough to get the same allergy from tick bits.
I believe it's actually a type of lime disease rather than an allergy, not sure though.
As far as I recall there is an enzyme in a certain ticks saliva that is similar to red meat. Your body fights the illness from the tick, and from then on when red meat is ingested your body has a violent allergic reaction because it thinks its the tick enzyme again. (Something like that)
The seafood reaction started at the same time. Who knows for sure, but he has never suffered an allergic reaction once in his life before that tick experience.

Also a good friend of my dads has a son who needed a new heart valve because of a tick bite. He was in his 40s.
Crazy stuff.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:06 PM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrock View Post
Not much of a problem where I am in central Texas, the fireants eat them all. I'd be happy to ship y'all some fireants to control your tick infestation

I can remember when there we no fire ants in texas.
Fire ants have also greatly reduced the natural turkey population as the nest on the ground or near the ground. The ants attack the eggs or baby turkeys.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 05-08-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:58 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not mess with ticks. Between about Easter and 4th of July I stay out of the brush. That seems to be the worst time of year for them. Here is how I camp in the spring. I stay out of the dirt as much as possible. It's my theory they hatch out in the spring and the birds eat them, so by late summer there aren't so many around. Permethrin works. I keep my shoes treated with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carlyle1020a.jpg (482.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by max503; 05-09-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:36 PM
Skirmsher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What method or tool do you find works best to remove ticks from dogs and people?

Skirmisher
Old 05-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmsher View Post
What method or tool do you find works best to remove ticks from dogs and people?

Skirmisher
I just pluck them off my dog with my Leatherman multi-tool long nose plyers. With this I can then crush the bugs. Eika wants to sniff test each one shaking her head in disgust each time.

Luckily so far none have latched on to me before I catch them on my clothes. I do tuck my pants legs into my socks. Keeps from crawling up under.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:53 PM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmsher View Post

Skirmisher
For me and my dog (past tense) she has passed along now.
Ive used thin dental floss. I take a strand and wrap it around the base of the ticks bite point. I pull the floss towards me by the V of the floss, and push the ticks body the opposite way. Its usually removes the head from the bite point, and even better you dont squeeze bodily fluids back through the ticks mouth into you or your pet. It really works, and I have been successful many times with this method. It works on medium to large ticks. The floss can't get under the smallest ticks. Those usually scrape off with a fingernail or small tweezers work too, but I really hate squeezing them because it can really induce disease or infection.
My .02
Old 05-10-2021, 03:22 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2fish View Post
For me and my dog (past tense) she has passed along now.
Ive used thin dental floss. I take a strand and wrap it around the base of the ticks bite point. I pull the floss towards me by the V of the floss, and push the ticks body the opposite way. Its usually removes the head from the bite point, and even better you dont squeeze bodily fluids back through the ticks mouth into you or your pet. It really works, and I have been successful many times with this method. It works on medium to large ticks. The floss can't get under the smallest ticks. Those usually scrape off with a fingernail or small tweezers work too, but I really hate squeezing them because it can really induce disease or infection.
My .02
That floss technique sounds interesting. I only have dental tape right now.
This morning I found a second tick on my belly. I didn't have tweezers but I did have an eye dropper bottle of mixed permethrin that I use to recharge thermacell pads. I put a drop on the tick and watched. It hung on so I grabbed it with my fingers and pulled it off.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not sure, but some seem like a Chinese Finger Puzzle, the harder you pull the tighter it gets.
We have an extra little dental floss tool, a plastic handle like a mini-slingshot but with floss. Looks like it could be slid under a tick body to locate the floss at the bite, hold the body down as lv2fish says and do the gentle pull?
Now, to get a hanger-onner.....
Old 05-10-2021, 04:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I am watching 4 I believe to be tick bites on me and waiting for any ill effects to add to my woes. Usually the bites stay red for about 3 monthes then go away. My dogs love to share.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:23 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check for yourself, but I have been reading some interesting and possibly very positive results with treatments for Lyme's incorporating ivermectin. I hope it kicks the ever living you know what out of those little spiro-whatevers.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
THAT would be a Godsend
Old 05-10-2021, 09:29 PM
bgshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02 AM
RGSIII

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The largest tick that I have ever seen was on a camel that was participating at the camel beauty contest in Abu Dhabi. It was located on the feet of the camel and the owner was aghast. It was an interesting experience. Barbara, an ice cream connoisseur, decided camel ice cream was amazing.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rocky Mt wood tick noggin

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1623329563
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D45A999A-08A0-4D57-9060-F3E4852110C1.jpeg (210.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A face only a mother could love?