Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:19 PM
22hiker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HD military 1947 stop lug replacement

I'm looking to replace my stop lug and the takedown lever with new ones. After removing the slide do I simply drift the takedown lever out to get the stop lug out? Is there anything to be aware of other than to not pull the trigger/drop hammer while the slide is off? Does removing the takedown lever affect any other part like the mainspring? Do I need to place a pin through the back strap hole to capture the spring before removing the takedown lever out? thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 09:24 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Instructions

Remove the magazine, remove the slide, remove the left grip panel, remove the safety lever assembly, remove the side plate, remove the sear bar spring and sear bar, now remove the takedown lever. The stop lug can be removed while being careful to capture the stop lug spring and plunger.

Do not allow the hammer to fall forward without the slide in place.

Replace the new stop lug, spring and plunger, then replace the new takedown lever. Reassemble the rest of the parts in the reverse order of disassembly. Be sure to get the groove in the end of the takedown lever into the slot in the side plate when reassembling it.

Last edited by HSWayne; 05-10-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:37 PM
22hiker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and gave it a try just before reading your instructions. I did it the way you listed except for removing the sear bar & spring. It worked very simply. Now I'm trying to change out the driver/recoil spring. I have the spring extended in the slide, but the darn retaining pin won't budge. Am I drifting the retaining pin in the right direction from inside the slide up through the top? The puch is a 1/16th and fits, but the pin is stubborn. I'm even using a hooked pick to pull some of the spring down to relieve some of the pressure on the retaining nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HS Wayne's directions are pretty good!

However, I'm just wondering about one part of them.
Quote:
Do not allow the hammer to fall forward without the stop lug in place.
My understanding was that we should not allow the hammer to fall forward with the slide removed- full stop.

How does having the stop lug in make it ok to let the hammer fall forward?
Why does having stop lug out make it wrong?

The stop lug has no point of contact with the hammer that I can remember.

I am not saying to ignore HS Wayne- EVER.

I am just trying to remember what it is about the Stop Lug that interacts with the hammer itself.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:52 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hammer

I should have simply said to not allow the hammer to fall forward with the slide off. That is a more clear statement. I edited my original post.