weird gun store experience - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:15 PM
oldtown43

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post weird gun store experience

I bought a Henry rifle 22lr evil Roy. when I took it home the hammer got stuck back and Henry didn't have anybody to talk to at the time and I never owned a lever-action before. so I took it to the store I bought it from, and he said he owned a golden boy and took the rifle to the back and let me come in to watch. He fixed the hammer it just needed to be worked in. but this is when the weird starts he was waving my nice new barrel around a hammer on the mat, and he told me that rimfire was ok to dry fire but not center fires that was after I asked why he dry fired my Henry. then he took it apart and couldn't get the bolt out because I think he was trying to pull it out the wrong way and all the effort he was doing putting back in and back out from the bottom of the cover and he scratched the inside of the cover pretty good but that's just the inside, so it didn't bother me too bad and there was no damage to the edges of where the bolt slides or the bolt itself.he said it was stuck because there was some weird black stuff stuck inside I looked and there was this black stuff like glue probably just some factory stuff, but he put it back together, and I thought what he did was a little funny but didn't think much of it I didn't realize when I was there he was taking it out the wrong way but after I got home and watched some videos and did it myself (which I should've done before I took it in) and I didn't notice any actual damage to affect reliability. I went to the range, and it shot 100 22 bullets no problem. I'm just a little flustered I did that to myself, but it seems everything still worked okay, just slight deep scratches in sides of the inside of the cover. I do think the gun store employee was being a little naive. But if it shoots fine and looks pretty everywhere else, I'm happy!

Last edited by oldtown43; 05-09-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Call Henry and tell them their dealer buggered up your rifle. In the future, don't let idiots work on your firearms.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:15 PM
oldtown43

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ill have to call them when they open but what could they do? and I meant the inside of the cover not the receiver sorry. is it worth it to ship parts and get a replacement if it still shoots fine and is just scratched where it's not seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 01:44 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtown43 View Post
ill have to call them when they open but what could they do? and I meant the inside of the cover not the receiver sorry. is it worth it to ship parts and get a replacement if it still shoots fine and is just scratched where it's not seen
This.

OP just set the record for the longest sentence ever posted on RFC.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, if it were me and I just watched some gunshop doofus scratch up my new rifle I would be leaving with a new replacement. Stand up for yourself. Don’t be taken advantage of.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:29 PM
oldtown43

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
This.

oops I was in the moment
Old 05-09-2021, 02:49 PM
oldtown43

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Well, if it were me and I just watched some gunshop doofus scratch up my new rifle I would be leaving with a new replacement. Stand up for yourself. Don’t be taken advantage of.
I agree. I didn't realize the scratches until I got home and I ordered this online so there was only one in the store. I myself didn't know how the bolt came out to catch him in his stupidity. ill give henry a call and see what they think about it but overall ill take it as a learning experience and relieved nothing worse got damaged
Old 05-09-2021, 02:50 PM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never let a Master 1911 Builder work on your 22 LR Cowboy Gun
Old 05-09-2021, 03:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
This.

Was holding my breath until I got to the period.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:22 PM
oldsquid

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OP should enter the "Write Like Hemingway" contest!

Andy
Old 05-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Watch official Henry factory videos....they dry fire the guns all the time.

see above, not much to add.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:43 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Somebody called Henry, they say never dry fire their rifles. I just bought a Remington 597 all ok to dry fire, the chamber was so dinged up the rifle wouldn’t function, so no matter what ‘they’ do, never dry fire a Henry (and never let an idiot work on your rifle.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:54 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Was holding my breath until I got to the period.
I passed out holding mine, woke up to 10 news.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:02 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes there are a few charlatans out there, I too have had bad experience on this side of the pond. a decent smith can be hard to find.

one fairly reputable gunsmith did a magazine conversion for a mates browning BLR; so it could use stanag/AR mags, it cost him a fortune and never ran right, turned out the bore chamber had been damaged during the conversion process as was self evident by the deformed brass.

I also had the misfortune to spend £40 on a "re crown" that looked like someone shoved a countersink into the muzzle it was rough as old boots and not concentric 3 weeks of phone calls and hassles meant I never went back.

I have one smith I do trust but he's many hundreds of miles away and being a former model maker and an obsessive, I try to do my own smithing whenever possible.

I know my limitations and would not do certain things such as trigger jobs myself as I do not have confidence in my ability to re hardened surfaces correctly.

We have a well known target pistol shooter in the uk who does work on long barreled S&W revolvers, he did various trigger jobs for people.

when I asked "do you reharden the surfaces" he just gave me an icy stare, as the penny dropped.

Target guns get very, very high round counts and I have had troubles when I did my own 10/22 trigger job, eventually I would get failures to reset the hammer and ended up with a live round in the chamber but the hammer wasn't cocked.
Most comps would require between 3-500 rounds in a day

Lesson learned!

Some people claim to be gunsmiths, when in reality some are merely glorified mechanics,
Old 05-11-2021, 04:40 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun shops like car lots and many other businesses have their share of bs artists.At least he didn’t damage the finish on the exterior...