Has the Anschütz factory solved the 1712's ejection problem yet ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:28 AM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Has the Anschütz factory solved the 1712's ejection problem yet ?

Would like to hear from new owners who acquired their rifles in the last 6-12 months.

Last edited by capeboer; 05-06-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-06-2021, 12:03 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
I currently have six 54 model Annies, mostly 1712s, a couple of quite recent vintage, and have probably owned another six or seven over the years. My experience has been that ejection is not consistent among rifles -- some are fine most of the time, while others will frequently, but not always, fails to eject properly. The failure can be that it throws the casing straight up into the bottom of the scope and then back into the open port, or it extracts but doesn't eject. There may be hundreds of posts here about this issue, with a number of suggested ways to fix it (some might even work ). Perhaps the newest ones are better, but I wouldn't count on it. It seems to be a probable part of an otherwise very nice package. Good luck.

Doug
Old 05-06-2021, 12:49 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Enough reason to rather look at a 1761 ?

And yet, I've seen the ejection issue mentioned there also.

Perhaps it's partly an ammo issue -- something as mundane as Anschütz only testing with RWS ? Probably unlikely.

Last edited by capeboer; 05-06-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 02:26 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
LOL. Doug's post made me laugh because at this point most of my 54-action Anschutz's come from him (my chief enabler). Ejection is not a problem on any of those rifles. I am not saying that the problem isn't real. I am saying that on my several 54's and one 64 that it hasn't really played a part in my experience at the range.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:49 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I have had some ejection issues with a 1712 and another older 1700-series rifle, but I don't think these problems rise to the level of concern many here want to make it. Yes, yes, they say a top-drawer Anschutz should be "perfect in every way," but even when ejection is not perfect, it's just a small aggravation for me; certainly nothing approaching the level of considering another rifle. Should Anschutz finally address it more fully? Yes. Does it keep me from buying another? No way. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it

TBR
Old 05-06-2021, 06:07 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Switch on your YouTube subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnKgQWQvUM

Perhaps the Russian is on to something ?
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeboer View Post
Switch on your YouTube subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnKgQWQvUM

Perhaps the Russian is on to something ?
That was very revealing. It would be great if owners with the ejection issues weighed in regarding their experience with the magazine movement noted in the video.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:28 PM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If that's the fix why hasn't Anschutz addressed that. In my case its the shaving of the bullet's nose that most aggravates.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:24 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The ejection problem is real, but varies in degree from rifle to rifle. Some apparently function flawlessly with no issues while others suffer a significant percentage of failures. Out of five 54 actions and two 64 action guns ranging from a late 50's sporter thru a '63 1411 on to a pair of 1712s purchased a few years ago, I have found that all suffered ejection issues to a greater or lesser degree. With some guns I was able to remedy the problem with a little fine tuning on the extractor/ejector. In no case did the magazine clip seem to be a factor as I have shot these guns off the bench with the magazine both in place and removed with no discernible difference in results. At least with the magazine removed, the empties will drop out through the magazine opening.

Since I shoot off the bench, the ejection problem is a minor irritant. But I can imagine it being more than a minor irritant under field conditions while hunting wild game. Any hunting or pest control is reserved for my less expensive guns....which all seem to be free from ejection issues...at least so far. By the way, I assume I was just more unlucky than usual with the ejection issues, since many owners report no problems at all with ejection. But to be clear, I have not sold an Anschutz based on poor ejection issue alone, nor would it keep me from purchasing another were I so inclined.

James
Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 AM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your well-considered post, James.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it just an ejection problem that is of concern? Many new-to-Anschutz shooters also worry about extraction problems.

While the problems do exist, they don't appear with great regularity. Here's a post I made the last time the issue came up. I relied on the word of Steve Boelter, former president of Anschutz North America. When Boelter was posting regularly on this forum, his words had tremendous authority.

Quote:
The ejection question comes up so often that it's worth renewing attention to what's going on.

The problem certainly hasn't been universal with Anschutz rifles. When it has occurred, it appears to have been much more common with repeaters, more so with 64's, but never so common as to be a regularly occurring problem even with them. Single shot match 54 rifles seem to only rarely have ejection issues.

With regard to the actual issue, according to Steve Boelter, former president of Anschutz North America, the problem was with the bolt, not the extractors or the ejector.

"The change [to fix the problem] is not to the extractors," Boelter said, "it is to the bolt." See post #8 https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=552827

Take note of what he says of the "fix" that's stickied above in this forum https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=471177

According to Boelter, that is the wrong way to fix the problem.

This is a bandaid at best and just weakens another part to the rifle. I'm already swimming in magazine follower and base plate orders [as a result of people following the sticky instructions], in a few years when that little nub breaks off the extractor, I'll be replacing those, and when I do replace them, the shooter will have to modify the part again. Still at square one with that.

The goal here is to do it the right way, at the factory, and stop the need for shooters to fix their rifles.

See post #12 https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=552827

As Boelter noted in the same thread from 2014, the problem was covered by warranty with no shipping costs. (See post #23 in the thread already linked).
It should be noted that problems of any kind receive far more attention on forums like this. The forums see threads about the few problems much more than there are threads about yet another Anschutz functioning just as it should. Complaints get attention.

To illustrate, a current thread about feeding issues/potential magazine problems with a new 1761 (see https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1223025) can lead some readers to see it as a problem that could be more widespread than it is.

My experience isn't the same as that of everyone, but I've had over 20 Anschutz rifles -- 54 and 64 match and sporters, and one handgun and none of them had any ejection or extraction problems.

Last edited by Penage Guy; 05-19-2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

As is his custom -- a well-considered, in-depth and very useful post from Penage Guy.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:39 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
All clip-fed bolt action rifles have or will have feeding and ejection problems, I don't care who makes them. You may be lucky and get one on the good side of the bell curve or on the other. Just my not so humble opinion.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:09 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Is it just an ejection problem that is of concern? Many new-to-Anschutz shooters also worry about extraction problems.

While the problems are do exist, they don't appear with great regularity. Here's a post I made the last time the issue came up. I relied on the word of Steve Boelter, former president of Anschutz North America. When Boelter was posting regularly on this forum, his words had tremendous authority.

It should be noted that problems of any kind receive far more attention on forums like this. The forums see threads about the few problems much more than there are threads about yet another Anschutz functioning just as it should. Complaints get attention.

To illustrate, a current thread about feeding issues/potential magazine problems with a new 1761 (see https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1223025) can lead some readers to see it as a problem that could be more widespread than it is.

My experience isn't the same as that of everyone, but I've had over 20 Anschutz rifles -- 54 and 64 match and sporters, and one handgun and none of them had any ejection or extraction problems.
That is amazing.....not that you owned over 20 that did not have a problem, but rather that I owned seven (one a single shot 1411 made in '63) that all had issues. But then again, this is one of a number of reasons I don't buy lottery tickets.

As far a the magazine clip being the main issue, I have owned three Rem 541-S guns, six CZ 452 guns, four Winchester 52 guns (clip fed), a Savage 1903 slide action, and a Remington 504. I don't recall any of these giving me troubles that could be blamed on the clip.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:59 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeboer View Post
As is his custom -- a well-considered, in-depth and very useful post from Penage Guy.
Very true observation.