2 Bearcats 2 problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2 Bearcats 2 problems

Anyone out there with new model Bearcats experiencing issues with loading, rotating cylinders, paw sticking, etc?

I have both the Shopkeeper and the adjustable sight model. I can even finish a shooting session without cylinders guming up too tight to load. Bullets not seating in the cylinders fully. Cylinders not rotating, paw sticking.

Are these new models that delicate or do I really have 2 that are both duds?

I was crazy about these little guns, but I'm starting to feel like they just don't work.

Anyone else go through these issues?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2021, 01:51 AM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would call Ruger.
I know they are extremely busy right now, but they have an excellent customer service dept.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:24 PM
Uncle Howie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
Anyone out there with new model Bearcats experiencing issues with loading, rotating cylinders, paw sticking, etc?

I have both the Shopkeeper and the adjustable sight model. I can even finish a shooting session without cylinders guming up too tight to load. Bullets not seating in the cylinders fully.
I’d say pull the cylinders and scrub the daylights out of the charge holes with a slightly oversize bronze brush, using some powder solvent.

Snug charge holes are not uncommon, I’ve got both Bearcats and Single-Sixes that display this tendency. My S&W 63 and 617 are also snug, but it’s easier for me to thumb a cartridge into an open double-action cylinder vs. stick my fat finger in the loading gate area of a single-action rimfire.

What type of ammo are you using? Heavy wax bullet lube tends to compound the “tight charge hole” problem... try ammo with copper-washed bullets, after you clean the cylinders.

I bet the thorough cleaning and copper-washed bullets will improve things for you.

Some will likely suggest spinning a piece of emery paper in the cylinders, either by hand, or even by chucking a rod in an electric drill. I’d suggest NOT doing that, unless you really know what you’re doing. It seems to me that it might be pretty easy to enlarge those charge holes, and/or get them out of round...

The cylinder not wanting to turn is very likely due to the cartridges rubbing on the recoil shield (correct term?) at the rear of the cylinder opening, since the cartridges are not fully seated...

If the cleaning and ammo selection don’t help the loading problems, THEN I’d definitely contact Ruger.

Last edited by Uncle Howie; 04-29-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2021, 10:21 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had to return a Shopkeeper and a newer Single Six for tight cylinders.

The SS is shooting fine now but I haven't really messed with the Bearcat much since it returned. I found myself tired of being Ruger's quality control and basically moved on to other brands.

Uncle Howie has given great advice as well. Ruger should make it right, so no worries at least, I just know it sux to take a new gun out and have it be disappointing.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:15 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I have both the Shopkeeper and the adjustable sight model. I can even finish a shooting session without cylinders guming up too tight to load. Bullets not seating in the cylinders fully. Cylinders not rotating, paw sticking.

Are these new models that delicate or do I really have 2 that are both duds?

I was crazy about these little guns, but I'm starting to feel like they just don't work.

Anyone else go through these issues?

Yup. I bought my Shopkeeper 2nd hand a few years back. The prior owner never cleaned up Ruger's mess by sending it back or fixing it him/herself.

I had to polish the chambers. I used a bore cleaning cloth wrapped around a slotted cleaning tip chucked into a variable speed power drill. I coated the cleaning cloth with liquid wheel polish and I ran the drill at a medium speed until the cloth was dirty and warm. I had to do that several times to each chamber on two different occasions.

Matter of fact, I had to do the same thing to my Ruger Single Six that I bought new back in 2012. My Shopkeeper was shipped newly made from Ruger in 2014.

Both the Shopkeeper and Single Six would have trouble seating unfired cartridges completely after only a couple cylinders were fired. Which made it virtually impossible for the cylinder to turn. It turned out there were too many rough tooling marks in the chambers that would get filled with fouling too soon.

Here's a pic of my Single Six's .22 magnum cylinder. The chambers were originally as rough as the bore for the center pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polished-chambers.jpg (91.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by chicharrones; 05-06-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:41 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
Yup. I bought my Shopkeeper 2nd hand a few years back. The prior owner never cleaned up Ruger's mess by sending it back or fixing it him/herself.

I had to polish the chambers. I used a bore cleaning cloth wrapped around a slotted cleaning tip chucked into a variable speed power drill. I coated the cleaning cloth with liquid wheel polish and I ran the drill at a medium speed until the cloth was dirty and warm. I had to do that several times to each chamber on two different occasions.

Matter of fact, I had to do the same thing to my Ruger Single Six that I bought new back in 2012. My Shopkeeper was shipped newly made from Ruger in 2014.

Both the Shopkeeper and Single Six would have trouble seating unfired cartridges completely after only a couple cylinders were fired. Which made it virtually impossible for the cylinder to turn. It turned out there were too many rough tooling marks in the chambers that would get filled with fouling too soon.

Here's a pic of my Single Six's .22 magnum cylinder. The chambers were originally as rough as the bore for the center pin.
Thanks for the tips! Gonna give this a whirl.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:25 PM
RVER
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a .22 Mag brush in the cylinders and this works well. I have a GP .22LR with the same issue - rough chambers. I think that my next .22 revolver will be a 4" S&W 617. Todays Ruger revolvers are rough in future and finish. Well worth to me to pay the extra $150.00 for a S&W - not that they haven't had issues as well, but I've had to return (3) Rugers for repairs within the last 12 months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 11:27 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! Gonna give this a whirl.

Good luck!

For whatever reason, it took longer to acheive the desired results with my stainless Bearcat than it did with my blued steel Single Six.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:21 AM
p00rfarm
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bulk ammo

I just test my dirty bearcat. Bulk winchester ammo was difficult to load. CCI Standard Velocity and Velocitor loaded smoothly.