Foot neuropathy. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Foot neuropathy.

Not a doctor and this is from my personal experience.

Had years of forefoot nerve pain. Doctors tried steroid and alcohol shots on the nerve. Was dreading the thought of surgery.

Finally came across Dr Perry Julien who gave me a couple of B vitamin shots in the nerve that took care of it and it's been about 15 years.

https://www.healthgrades.com/physici...y-julien-yyvtw

Do have Morton's toe. So now I see more information on line than I did in the past.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25441836/

I've also had pseudo gout in my feet from too much uric acid in my system. Drank more water, wear very cushioned shoes and made lifestyle changes.

My thoughts are with you if your feet have been hurting.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Every dingle berry doc thinks it hilarious when I call my arthritis RMBD, rigor mortis before death. Wish they all had it.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
...a couple of B vitamin shots in the nerve that took care of it and it's been about 15 years.
Wow. I'll look into that for sure. Thanks much.

My foot doc recommended me a daily Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement and multi-B, E and C vitamins. Been on those for a few years, and they seem to help some. I don't take much Gabapentin anymore.

Doc told me that it won't likely get a lot better, but the supplement combo has shown to prevent/slow down further nerve damage.

I have good and bad days. When it really bothers me, I slather on some Aspercream with Lidocaine. It works well for a couple hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2021, 03:59 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
the longer you live and maybe with an issue, the better the chances are they will come up with a fix/solution/bandaid.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanx for the tip, WL, Ive had numb-ish/achy soles of my feet for some years, am not diabetic so it took a while for me to find out it is probably neuropathy. Think Morton's Toe was once mentioned too.
Not unusual for me to change shoes a few times a day, if I wear anything all day they just ache.
It all kinda went on the back burner after I started having serious cardiac issues, then quad bypass Dec of 2019. After that and in rehab, with good blood flow, it seemed to get some better but has been troublesome of late. And with the Covid thing we've been staying away from clinics and hospitals, you know, where sick people go.....
I'll have to look into this Vit. B injection stuff.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the info!

R
Old 05-08-2021, 07:33 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've got neuropathy via an autoimmune disorder called chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy or CIDP for short, plus osteoarthritis. Feet range from dead numb, burning pain, bolts of electricity sensation, dull aching, etc., which varies depending on how bad the immune attack is, my activity, inflammation going on, nerves affected, medicine taken and how well it's working, even the weather. Sometimes it's not too bad, sometimes it's agonizing. The most dangerous affects are from the loss of sensation. Poor balance, no warning of injury or infection, and poor pedal feel when operating vehicles. I've had joints on two toes form inflammed nodes that opened to the skin surface, leaking joint fluid; one finally stopped and healed up, the second just started last week. Lumpy looking bent distorted fingers and toes can be caused by rheumatoid arthritis but tests on me are negative for that so the docs believe that it's osteoarthritis along woth the affects of the neuropathy and possibly some deposition of IgG immunoglobulin that is used to treat the CIDP.
Everbody got something wrong with them. Isn't life fun?

Without modern medical science I'd probably be dead already. My grandfather died in 1954 at only 47 years old twenty feet from where I'm sitting, from rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis, both treatable now. My wife lives because of dialysis machines, before those or possibility of kidney transplant when a person suffered from endstage renal failure they went straight to the cemetery.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Darn
Well I was jus at Drs office and for the first time in a long time all the test results showed Significant Improvement .

Lost 60 lbs since November, and all the bloodwork, etc says Im healthy.
Medications were reduced, and I am on the mend.

Secret to my success. No more sugar. No more simple carbohydrates.

Boring , but better than dead.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:19 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Neuropathy can be caused by a variety of things. Diabetes, infections, autoimmune disorders, poisoning from chemicals or heavy metals, or even inherited neurodegenerative diseases. Anybody who starts suffering from neuropathy should find out the cause as quickly as possible as early treatment of many of these conditions will minimize the nerve damage and help in recovery. Some of the causes such as diabetes have other very bad health ramifications that can make you wish that the neuropathy was the only problem.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
Neuropathy can be caused by a variety of things. Diabetes, infections, autoimmune disorders, poisoning from chemicals or heavy metals, or even inherited neurodegenerative diseases. Anybody who starts suffering from neuropathy should find out the cause as quickly as possible as early treatment of many of these conditions will minimize the nerve damage and help in recovery. Some of the causes such as diabetes have other very bad health ramifications that can make you wish that the neuropathy was the only problem.
+1

For me neuropathies have been the hardest for doctors to determine and treat. Doctors know what's in their specialty silo and seldom hit on the right thing right off the bat. You're so right based on your experience.

Let me add muscle imbalance to your list. Terrible IBS and anal pain from left hip arthritis while it was out of whack from hip muscles being out of whack. Went to a site called Upright Health and tried their exercises for my PT. Helps. Wish I could cure the essential tremors, while not painful, annoying. So many things can go wrong. We take health for granted.

Last edited by whiplash; 05-09-2021 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:55 AM
OldDave
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I arrived at my then girl friends house many years ago and her Dad was standing in front of his 1952 Chevy truck in a puddle of water. The truck was running and he was clutching the positive terminal of the 6 volt battery. When I asked him what he was doing he explained getting rid of his diabetic leg pain. He said it gave him about two weeks worth of relief. I thought he was crazier than a pet raccoon at this point. It wasn't two weeks later I read an article in the newspaper about a hospital spending almost half a million for a machine which passed current through a patients legs to deaden leg pain. I then thought old Frank was a purdy smart feller. My biggest regret was not asking him where he got the idea.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Darn
Well I was jus at Drs office and for the first time in a long time all the test results showed Significant Improvement .

Lost 60 lbs since November, and all the bloodwork, etc says Im healthy.
Medications were reduced, and I am on the mend.

Secret to my success. No more sugar. No more simple carbohydrates.

Boring , but better than dead.
x10
Old 05-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Years ago when all of this neuro stuff started with me, it began with foot pain and what was thought to be carpal tunnel syndrome. Since I was already seeing a neurologist for chronic migraines, our family doctor sent me to them for some testing to see what was going on. It took a while, with nerve conduction tests, blood tests, MRI studies, etc. My wife has neuropathy from severe diabetes which she struggled to control for many years, without much success. A couple of years ago she had kidney stones which caused a severe kidney infection. The damage from the diabetese, the infection and the antibiotics ruined her kidneys so now it's three days a week of dialysis or die. If she had gotten the diabetes controlled early on she likely wouldn't be in such poor condition. Stubborn woman, the more I'd try to get her to do something about the diabetic mess the more she'd resist.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:52 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buddy I used to work with had his Wife's Mother living with them near the end of her life. Kidney failure, diabetes, obesity and I don't remember what else.

He once told me that she had a big piece of cake in front of her at a party, fork in one hand and insulin syringe in the other.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:51 PM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
my deceased mother-in-law

lifetime smoker, chronic lung disease, was on a inhalation therapy home treatment machine, basically vaporized medicine and blew it into her lungs.

She would sit at the kitchen table, take her "treatment", gagging all the while, then light up an Old Gold and go on her way.

She died of a heart attack due to cardiac damage from lack of oxygen.