Suggestions on repairing my forend - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:05 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Suggestions on repairing my forend

A few days ago, I partially emptied a row in my safe to get to my AR that I just received a dedicated .22 lr upper for. My CZ 453 Varmint, my silhouette rifle, I set against my kitchen counter and my size 13 feet in shoes caught the butt of the stock and it did a 90 degree flip unto the floor.

This is the result.

The ellipse is around a section that still has a hinge of wood. Should I take a tooth pick and put hide glue in from the barrel channel side or just break it off and brush on some glue and put it back in place?

The pieces I have loosely attached.

I have some 192g hide glue mixed 2:1 water to glue by weight in the fridge soaking. I plan to heat up the glue Saturday or Sunday depending on work schedule and do my best. Any suggestions welcome on how to put this back together.

Szumi

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I would mix up some Acraglas and put it in an irrigation syringe for application. Once you get a mechanical fix in place, it might be a good opportunity for a refinish. There might be some nice wood hiding under that mud.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:43 AM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With multiple breaks like that I would forget about using the broken pieces. I would plane the wood on the stock from the rear of the break out to the front until flat. Then search for a piece of wood close to a color match as possible and plane it flat to have a very good fit to the stock. Acra glass it to the stock and when it is cured work down the glued on piece to match the shape of the stock and I would refinish the complete stock. I have fixed a few this way and they usually don't stand out if you get a close color match. They will definitely hold up better than putting multiple pieces back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2021, 04:48 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might be an idea to make a fancy forend cap out of a piece of rosewood
Old 05-07-2021, 05:21 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I would mix up some Acraglas and put it in an irrigation syringe for application. Once you get a mechanical fix in place, it might be a good opportunity for a refinish. There might be some nice wood hiding under that mud.
Good tip, and 1100 hits to choose from on eBay.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Szumi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1250 View Post
With multiple breaks like that I would forget about using the broken pieces. I would plane the wood on the stock from the rear of the break out to the front until flat. Then search for a piece of wood close to a color match as possible and plane it flat to have a very good fit to the stock. Acra glass it to the stock and when it is cured work down the glued on piece to match the shape of the stock and I would refinish the complete stock. I have fixed a few this way and they usually don't stand out if you get a close color match. They will definitely hold up better than putting multiple pieces back together.
I tried gluing it together today. It is together but the pieces didn't go together as nice as I would have liked and it grew in length. I used hot hide glue so I can try again. For now it at least doesn't look like it has three teeth missing. It is my silhouette gun so I may use it as it is until winter.

I think I understand your solution. Somewhere I have a couple small hand planes. I don't have any walnut but I'll work on getting a few pieces.

Any tips on shaping the new piece to match? I haven't done much free hand work with wood.

Thanks,

Szumi

Last edited by Szumi; 05-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Szumi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Might be an idea to make a fancy forend cap out of a piece of rosewood
That is a traditional method, not sure of my shaping skills and it would be a long cap due to the length of the broken sections.

Thanks,

Szumi

Last edited by Szumi; 05-08-2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Szumi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
It is a CZ 453. What kind of finish did they use? Any suggestions on how to strip it?

Thanks,

Szumi

Last edited by Szumi; 05-08-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man - I hate that for you.... I said a cuss word in support. As for the finish - have no idea what CZ uses, but I’d first try the strongest stripper you can find. The good ones are gone thanks to the EPA, but you may get lucky. If that doesn’t work, you may have to mechanically remove it with a scraper. Remington stocks require a scraper - very tough finishes.

As for the forend repair - if you sand the forend back to shape as it is, anywhere glue is showing will not match in color. Repositioning to remove as much of the glue joints as possible would be best. If after repositioning you have voids not filled with glue shellac sticks can sometimes do wonders to hide damage. Unfortunately this kind of break is almost impossible to repair without visible signs of work.

If a piece of walnut can be found with similar color and grain, splicing that onto the forearm is an option, keeping in mind you will most likely have a transition line showing.

The ebony forend tip idea is also plausible - and offers two options. You can add a long forend tip, which would look a little odd, or make it look intentional - kinda something like this:

Would still look a little funky, but adding an ebony grip cap would help.

Maybe even adding an ebony schnabel would be an option

Yes, my phone pic sketching skills suck...

Bad news is any repair of this kind will show - you’ll have to decide which would bug you the least and head that way........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2021, 04:10 PM
Szumi

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the phone pics. The cracks goes further back.

Uncle gave me a nice piece of walnut that I can play with. May have to sharpen a plane.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:31 PM
gwpercle
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was going to suggest using walnut tinted Acraglas to make the repairs and while you have already purchased the bedding ... go ahead and Acraglas bed the barrel/channel .
The bedding in the channel will back up the repairs .
Sorta kill two birds with one stone .

Don't want to bed the barrel or buy Acraglas ... I used Clear Gorilla Glue (not the old foamy stuff ... but a nice clear adheasive ) to glue a large round glass plate back together . It goes in the bottom of our microwave oven and turns around ... wife dropped it and broke in half ...two big heavy pieces ... I did not think the Clear Gorilla Glue would fix ... Boy was I wrong , glued that big heavy plate back together ... must be 6 months ago ... expected heat to make it fail ...Nope , still holding together and wife still takes it out and washes it !!! Surprised the Heck outta me !!!
I'm a believer in the stuff ... if you need to reglue ... try the New Clear Gorilla ...it's amazing .
Gary
Old 05-14-2021, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Do ypu really need that stock to be that long?
Bob-nose the stock, reprofile it and refinish.
Doing it that way will mean you really only have to get that one finger of a break stuck back down.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 PM
savage23

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
It is a CZ 453. What kind of finish did they use? Any suggestions on how to strip it?

Thanks,

Szumi
I would try lacquer thinner first to remove the topcoat.

Our dearly departed George (NOREMF) was our wood working guru and i think he stated that 95% of modern topcoats are a toned lacquer .

Check out the wood working forum on RFC LOTS OF GOOD INFO thre.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:57 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It could be lacquer, polyurethane, or even acrylic melamine. Most good brand strippers should remove the original finish. Since the hide glue is transparent but stainable I would definitely use it in lieu of anything synthetic. Carefully fit each piece back as best as you can before glueing each, then after it sets, block sand the area together until smooth and level. I've never tried dye on walnut, only stain. Lacquer or spar urethane both make excellent wood finishes. Minwax Antique Oil Finish comes in a walnut toned color also, that would well for a pretoned rubbing varnish finish. It's a quick drying polyurethane based wiping varnish.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage23 View Post

Our dearly departed George (NOREMF) was our wood working guru and i think he stated that 95% of modern topcoats are a toned lacquer .
I'm the same 95%, that NOREMF contacted CZ at one time and verified it was lacquer. But I can't find it chiseled in stone.