Differences in Standard Magazines or Magazine Catches - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Differences in Standard Magazines or Magazine Catches

Today I was shooting my 1964 RST-6. I usually use two magazines with it, both original magazines with the channel for the follower button only on the right side. The magazine that came with the pistol has never given me an issue, but the other magazine is difficult to remove as the magazine catch catches the seam between the chromed base and the magazine body.

Looking at the two magazines, there seems to be subtle differences. I think the reason for the second magazine being caught is the chromed base can move a tiny bit, allowing the magazine catch to grab the magazine body. I have considered filling in that gap with a bit of Bondo and then sanding it flat.

I also tried a modern Mark I magazine with the silver base as well as Mark II magazine on which I flipped the follower button from the left side to the right side. Both of those magazines also allow the magazine catch to grab the under side of the magazine body. It appears the magazine catch lip is just thin enough to get between the base and body.

I have a spare Volquartsen extended magazine release that I may swap into the pistol. I am not too fond of this as the pistol, other than finish, is 100% stock. It is the exact model I used for my first shots in 1973.

All of this looks like the impact of tolerance stacking on pistols made over seventy-plus years.

Last edited by farscott; 05-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:05 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The front edge of the mag release shelf is a sharper edge than later MKII releases. This wasn't a problem on the early mags because the non-removable base was bonded to the shell without any gap. Later mag bases have a groove that the folded over shell base slides into. That looser tolerance creates a gap.

Possible fixes:

1) file the front edge of the mag release to have a taper that will slide out of / bridge over the gap.

2) swap to a MKII release.

3) use a small punch to slightly bend the bottom of the mag shell inward toward the base. That creates a ramp that the release can slide over instead of catching on the shell. I first saw this done on a you-tube video, but the guy didn't do a very good job of explaining how his mod was fixing the problem.

It sounds like the last fix might be the one you want.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Thanks for the info. 3) will likely get tried, likely on a modern Mark I magazine. That way I do not ruin a $50 replacement cost magazine. I also considered adding some Teflon plumbers tape as a "proof of concept" fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2021, 09:42 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
when you rotate the mag release to the rear, to release the magazine and it catches on the seam , push your magazine to the rear and it will disengage from the hook part of the mag release. You can then pull the mags out easily.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
when you rotate the mag release to the rear, to release the magazine and it catches on the seam , push your magazine to the rear and it will disengage from the hook part of the mag release. You can then pull the mags out easily.
Tried it. No dice. The issue is the base is rotating away from the body under spring pressure, creating the seam between the base and body. I need to find a way to secure the base to the body.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I modified my MKII release so that mags could be inserted without prying it back and so mags would easily drop out when released:

I'm not telling you to do that, since you're trying to keep everything original. But I just want to show you that it's only the middle portion of your release that's snagging on the mag. You could very lightly flatten or round just that middle portion of your release and cold blue over the mod. It would be very hard to notice the mod if done carefully, and it would solve the problem without changing releases.

The nice thing about doing the fix at the release is any mag will then work, instead of only mags that you've modified.

Just another option to consider.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Thanks for the idea. I may experiment with that idea on an aftermarket release as I have a few. If the results are promising, I would modify the OEM release.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:20 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Consider also the Ranch Products release: it's low profile but offers better purchase than the stock release and a better grip in the magazine base.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I solved my issue in such a way as to not have any concerns about the original parts. Back when Volquartsen was closing out Mark II parts on the "Clearance" section of the web site, I bought several stainless extended magazine releases. I still had one left.

Looking at it next to the 1964 RST-6, the stainless catch matches the flashed-chromed trigger and flash-chromed magazine base. In terms of color, it looks like it belongs. So I dug up my Glock punch, did a quick field strip, removed the grips, punched out the bottom pin in the grip frame, removed the original catch, and installed the stainless Volquartsen catch using the Glock punch as a slave pin. Reassembled everything, grabbed three different magazines (A54, A100 flipped to A54, and Mark II flipped to A54), and headed out to my backyard range.

Three different magazines and twenty-eight rounds later, I am happy. The Volquartsen catch allows me to move the catch farther away from the magazine body and makes removal a breeze. The original magazine release can be swapped back into the pistol at any time should that need to happen.

[ETA] Some before and after pictures that show the magazine releases as well as the Cerakote finish./[/ETA]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0670.jpg (505.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0672.jpg (489.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0671 copy.jpg (541.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by farscott; 05-04-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Put another sixty-plus rounds through the RST-6 this morning at distances varying from about ten yards to twenty-seven yards using an assortment of Winchester DynaPoint, CCI Standard Velocity, and Federal 36-grain Champion. No issues with the replacement magazine catch, and all of the ammo shot to the same POA/POI. Did have one round fail to extract, which is something very unusual for this pistol. Could not get it to happen again. Cleaning the pistol after the session did not reveal any possible reasons for the extractor to have slipped off the rim of any cartridge.

Having the same POA/POI for different ammo is critical as this pistol has fixed sights, and I would never remember what hold for what round. The good news is I have about 2,500 rounds of the Federal and another 1000 rounds of the Winchester and CCI. That should be enough to keep the pistol fed until the end of the ammo drought.