barrel thickness classes - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:38 PM
p14shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel thickness classes

After a cursory search I can not find the answer I am looking for. What I am looking for is a semi definitive description of what constitutes a hunting barrel from a varmit barrel to a heavy barrel. Why? The 22 rifle section at my club is dying. No one want to come out and shoot what I shoot (ISSF). Little interest in silhouette (I have no idea why. It is a blast as you know) so I thought I would try a smallest group match. After all I hear all the time bragging about how small a group someone's gun can shoot. I think I would like to break it out into hunter and target so I need to know when a barrel stops being a hunting barrel. Your knowledge and wisdom is appreciated. I know I can class centerfire hunting anything under .67 at the muzzle (I think) just not sure if that will copy over to 22.

Paul
Old 05-06-2021, 06:48 PM
redrockranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Barrels

Visit a barrel makers website and check their offering of barrel contours. Most have diagrams.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There are many barrel types. , std taper, heavy taper and heavy barrel. And many variations in each of those.

Some std taper barrels will out shoot heavy tapers and heavy barrels, most wont.

Id just run an open class, run what you brung and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think you are going the wrong way about it.

I think you are going the wrong way about it. There are accurate rifles in every weight barrel. You start making classifications/restrictions and people will not want to play the game. You won't get "fair" not matter what you do as some people can spend many hours shooting and getting good at it and others can only shoot a little bit. Some are young with good eyes and good muscle control and others over the hill and shaky. Some can buy good match ammo others scrape up whatever they can find.

So my advice is to come up with some fun games all can take place in. Reactive targets are always an attraction. Lolly pops and eggs for a starter. And if there is a need for people to "win", just create multiple classes. Scoped bolt action heavy target rifles, iron sight bolt action target rifles, scoped pump or lever action rifles, iron sight pump or lever action rifles, scoped semi-auto rifles and irons sighted semi-auto rifles. Ask your membership what, if anything, they want. maybe nobody wants matches ? Could happen. Good luck with it.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:34 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Id just run an open class, run what you brung and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I think you are going the wrong way about it. There are accurate rifles in every weight barrel. You start making classifications/restrictions and people will not want to play the game.
This is a third vote for making the initial round as open as possible as a remedy to the problem you identified. Once you assess the participants, you can see if they might naturally shake out into different classes. A limited class is a way of telling someone he can't play, the very thing you don't want to have.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
This is why there are weight classes.

You could divid by weight and/or use the ammo as the natural divider/decider.

Shoot what ya bring with “name the ammo” event.

Example bring anything bolt and CCI mini mag for ammo.

Thinking out loud here.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 05-07-2021, 05:13 PM
p14shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have tried fun matches with no skill needed. Serious matches. semi fun/serious matches with still no serious interest so I just keep plugging away in hopes that something will spark. I have even considered an old cooey match. You can't level the playing field much more than that. We will see what happens. Thanks for your input and if this is semi successful I will let you know.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:03 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It ain't Field of Dreams, build it, but they may not come.

It ain't field of dreams. I notice "attendance" is down in the Air Gun on line matches I moderate and the same with the 50 yard iron sight bench matches which I participate in and have for many years. Less people at our local Rimfire Challenge matches and even less at Trap & Sporting Clays. One factor could be the shortage of ammo and it's higher costs. Maybe after the periods of self isolation due to coronavirus, people are finding out they like being alone ? Fall back position is to find at least one friend you can shoot with and do it. Others around may take a look and want to join in. Best of luck. David
Old 05-08-2021, 08:53 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'd split it into factory stock (very limited mods allowed, all factory trigger barrel and bolt, so a CPC worked over 10/22 would qualify, but you could swap stock and mag release) and "limited custom" (replacement of ONE of: barrel, bolt, or trigger) and "unlimited" (whatever combo of parts from whatever source you want).

I'd also increase the course of fire and really mix it up for different sub-competitions within the main one.

5x 5 shot groups at 25 yards from bench, best counts for score
5x 5 shot groups at 25 yards from standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone (shooter's choice), best counts for score

1x 25 shot group at 25 yards from bench (all shots fired on single target at single aiming point)
1x 25 shot group at 25 yards from standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone (shooter's choice, all shots fired on single target at single aiming point)

Give certs for "best of" in each course of fire in each category, and then overall match score is the average of all of those groups, smallest overall average wins.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:47 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
1st shoot you want people to come, make it easy on them and yourself.
Concentrate on a good course of fire.
Shoot what you bring
Make it fun, try to keep it fun
No, or very limited entry fee, no prizes, bragging rights only (at least at first)
After the 1st shoot you will have a lot better idea of what to change up because of who shows up with what.
Like classes:
Sporter
Varmint/Custom, maybe each
Open sights/Peep sights as 'Iron Sights' or maybe each
Scoped
You could maybe get the word around to the 'pros' that this is to get people involved in the shooting sports so they should think about coming and shooting for the fun of it and let what glory there is go to those less capable, especially the young/beginners. Having the better shooters pair up with the less experienced to coach can be very rewarding too.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:12 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Yuma AZ, Cholla Gun Club. We have silhouette shoots every Friday morning, we get 25-30 shooters out on a normal day, mostly geezers and geezerettes. We shoot the .22 Lever Action and Pistol Caliber Lever Action targets. NO clasifications, NO prizes, NO first place, NO last place, NO announcing scores, NO "competition" shoot what you bring , bolt action, lever action, pump, whatever as long as it fits the ammo requirement. A good time is had by all.

Lander Valley Sportsmen's Association, Lander WY. We have .22 benchrest shoot every Monday afternoon, weather permitting. Shoot whatever .22 you bring. NO classifications, NO prizes, NO "competition". We usually get about 25 shooters. There are guys who take it seriously, others just for fun. A good time is had by all.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holding for a later post.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-08-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:48 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just a suggestion, the range I shot ARA matches at had an over and under 11 pound class. You might want to think about weight instead of barrel dimensions.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:54 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
fwiw,

when some people/groups/classes starts to put restrictions/segregating people/things its a big turn off to me. Been on the other side all my life.

Karma comes to mind and you wont like it.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:54 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I called them squirrel rifle shoots. No classes. Had some paper bullseye targets and steel swingers. They could shoot whenever they showed up. Then to make some money for the club, we had a "challenge shoot" Two people signed up at a buck apiece and shot either the dueling steel that has 4 swingers and a top reset 2" round steel. or 5 shooters , each on their own cardboard 3"x 10" with 5 aspirin jammed into drilled holes. Most aspirin or winner on dueling swingers wins some money, club keeps rest. Friends shooting against each other for bragging rights was a hoot.