Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:44 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I thought my barrels were clean?????

Ok, you know I am serious about cleaning my barrels hopefully without harming the bore. I ran across this after cleaning. Cleaned barrel(s) using the usual cleaners as needed, including C4, Shooters Choice, Hoppe's Elite, #9, sometimes Wipe Out, Blue Wonder.... and the list goes on, it really doesn't matter what you clean with. Finished with a routine cleaning. Borescoped barrels, no sign of any buildup or fouling in barrels, and pulling wet patches until absolutely clear and then dry patches. Then, I tried something I have never done. With a clean patches and a new nylon bore brush, I used some synthetic Mobil 1 10-40. Two patches of oil and then 10 laps with the new nylon brush with oil applied. You wouldn't believe what came out of the barrel. It was black as Granny's cast iron skillet. I really did this for an experiment, and was really amazed at the results. I tried this with 3 different barrels, same results. With 2 of the barrels, no Blue Wonder, no Iosso, no Flitz, and no JB Compound had been applied. Anyone done this? Care to help explain what is going on? Did I miss the bus? Please - try it yourself before making any suggestions. "Don't do that anymore" isn't acceptable. Ha! ?????

Patient: I hurt in a few places.
Doctor: Stay out of those places.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:17 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After you get the bores clean with the motor oil, try the same experiment with automatic transmission fluid. It has a LOT more detergent than motor oil.

Nolan
Old 05-06-2021, 05:55 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Maybe the. Motor oil is pulling the black dye out of the nylon brush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Borescoped barrels, no sign of any buildup or fouling in barrels, and pulling wet patches until absolutely clear and then dry patches.
I've never had that happen.

I have used Mobil 1 to clean barrels and bolts though. I left it on for a few hours then came back to wipe it out. I attributed the very black patches to the oil having sat much longer and dissolved more crud.

I don't think Hoppes would hurt anything, but the smell makes me think it has enough vapor pressure to largely evaporate over several hours.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:12 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Guess I could try the blue Iosso brushes, or the red white and blue pro shot brushes to see if the brushes are the culprit. It has crossed my mind that the quality of steel used in the majority of .22lr barrels isn't "homogenized" or treated in the barrel making process well enough to keep this from happening - but probably not the case. I didn't repeat the cleaning process with the synthetic oil repeatedly to see if it would eventually come clean. Back to the gun cleaning "laboratory" for more testing. I'll try cleaning with the Mobil 1 several more times and hopefully the problem will resolve itself. Igor! Back to the lab!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive been using my abbreviated version of Ed's Red diy for years, it is a 33% ATF and 66% odorless mineral spirits.
I dont get black patches.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I thought my barrels were clean".
There ya go, thinking again. Its what my dad used to tell me.

Automotive carbon cleaner will tidy things up including any carbon ring development.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:06 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I've never had that happen.

I don't think Hoppes would hurt anything, but the smell makes me think it has enough vapor pressure to largely evaporate over several hours.
Try the new Hoppes. I've never bee a fancy of Hoppes and tend to use other new more "modern" solvents. But the new Hoppes impresses me and has virtually no smell.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
Try the new Hoppes. I've never bee a fancy of Hoppes and tend to use other new more "modern" solvents. But the new Hoppes impresses me and has virtually no smell.
If you are speaking of the Hoppe's Elite Cleaner, I have found it to be somewhat impressive and have a few bottles on the shelf. It did clean the pesky little "black spots" completely away in the grooves when C4 or anything else didn't touch it. It didn't do much for the massive lead buildup when the lands and grooves are not distinguishable. This product appears to be best used with a nylon brush, and probably comes under the heading of "just don't let it get that bad" products when it comes to lead / carbon buildup. Yea, I use it often for that purpose.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:03 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
After you get the bores clean with the motor oil, try the same experiment with automatic transmission fluid. It has a LOT more detergent than motor oil.

Nolan
+1
Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I might have a lifetime supply of the old stuff. I find the fragrance pleasant, and I'm told that the vapor pressure isn't nearly what I imagine it to be.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:50 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try using some 10w40 you haven't run in the car engine.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:57 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Mobil 1 10-40: Cleaned bore 4 times, 15 laps (nylon brush) and patched each session. The bore is patching much cleaner. Borrescoped, looks somewhat better. Got some Transmission Fluid somewhere, Do you suggest Dexron III (as used in Ed's Red), or the Synthetic?

Only one I could find, Ed's Red mixing formula:
https://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
Old 05-06-2021, 12:04 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Got some Transmission Fluid somewhere, ...
I've read that this has a strong and unpleasant smell. Is that true?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:35 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I've read that this has a strong and unpleasant smell. Is that true?
Never used Ed's Red. Will save an empty 16oz glass solvent container to try a small batch. Not too sure about what to use for a solvent drop dispenser, the plastic ones I have in my range bag are not recommended. ?