Light strikes - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:47 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light strikes

My 15-22 sometimes has a problem with light strikes. The dirtier the rifle gets the worse the problem gets. The hammer spring seems fine. It about the same power as my .5.56 ARs. The bolt seems to be going all the way into battery as it should. The firing pin appears to be the correct length. The only thing I see that might be wrong is the firing pin spring seems to be much stronger than it needs to be. Thinking of cutting it a bit or replacing it. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont have one of these but if I did, would install the Volquartsen parts

https://volquartsen.com/retail_maile...o-fire/preview

Unfortunately this seems to be a common complaint and something as innocent as oil or light lube of the firing pin can be an issue. I would start with VQ, needed or not.

Like I said up front, I dont have one. I am not going negative. I am just trying to help.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:15 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
SCRUB the chamber .. This tool linked below and some Hoppes#9 will fix your issue... carbon build up in the chamber is your problem...

https://gunsmithertools.com/shop/ols...mber-tool-gl1p

Also.. buy some of this and use it instead of oil or goopy lube...

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/horn...r-and-dry-lube

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014743837
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does this even when the chamber is spotless clean.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a 15-22. I disassembled it as per the owner's manuai, cleaned and lubricated it and took it to the range. It got through 10 rounds before the problems started. It turned into a single shot with three different brands of ammo. Every shot was a stove pipe that wasn't a click. The clicks showed a very light indention in the rim, so light they were hard to see.

I considered calling S&W but it occurred to me that it would be fixed with the same factory parts that weren't working in a brand new gun. A Volquartson extractor and firing pin are on the way to me as I type this. It's a fairly expensive rifle considering it's mostly plastic and now it has become even more expensive.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your stovepipes are caused by your ejector not the extractor
Old 05-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will see. There were a few rounds that stayed in the chamber and I had to flip them out with my knife. I can’t see how the ejector could have anything to do with that. I also found a couple videos on YouTube where owners had the exact same problem as mine. In one case the guy called S&W and they sent him a new extractor which solved his problem. In the other the guy installed a Volquartson extractor and it fixed his gun. I didn’t look for light strike problem videos. I just went ahead and ordered the firing pin.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 05-05-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:26 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cut some of my firing pin spring. Made a huge difference in how hard the firing pin hits the case. I can see a huge difference in the fired cases before and after. Not had time for a lot of shooting but I might tomorrow. I think I fixed the problem.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put about 300 rounds of bulk Winchester and about 50 Agulia through it Saturday. One missfire from the bulk Winchester. The case had a good firing pin hit. So I do believe that was the ammo
Old 05-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Upon closer examination my extraction problem was caused by no extractor at all. Nothing in the slot except air. I gave S&W a call and a nice gentleman gave me the option of returning my gun at no charge or just mailing me the parts. I chose the parts option and after getting the order ready ready he informed me the parts were out of stock but they would ship as soon as they became available. Bummer.

I had already ordered a Volquartson firing pin and extractor. I found the other two item available from TandemKross and ordered them and while I was at it I ordered the JP reduced power trigger spring kit. I finally received everything and got it back together yesterday afternoon. A short test out in the pasture proved everything works like it is supposed to now. No light strikes, no FTFs, and a nice 3 1/2# trigger. I'm now waiting on a less windy day to take it back to the range for final sighting in.