Lyman tang sight - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:59 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Lyman tang sight

I bought a Lyman DA tang sight for my old 1894 .32 Special and it leans over to the right. I have shimmed it about as much as I care to, but it's still too far right. I don't know how it could get that way, but it must have taken a blow when mounted.
What I'm wondering is if I could screw it down on a board or something and give it a whack to help straighten it without completely ruining it.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:50 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had my first experience working with this sight on an old rolling block this spring. I got to say, it looks a lot better than it actually is. I had to choose between shims and drifting the front. I moved the front. A lot! I am leaning toward buy a Marbles with windage and screw in eye cups. That Lyman is a piece of junk.

My advise, go ahead and use a big hammer. Worse case, get new Marbles.

Edit:
I do NOT recommend this, but; I do believe that staff and be replaced with new parts from Lyman. Do you self a favor: Use the BIG hammer.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-29-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was rethinking my last post. I might be more constructive. I would not bang it on a board. Try full disassembly. See exactly what is bent and where . Use a vise with padded brass jaws and see if you can easy it back.

I am surprised the elevation even works!

Last edited by fourbore; 04-28-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I am certianly no expert here, but my experience with these sorts of things is that the holes could be drilled off-axis; the sight could be 100%.
Everything will look good initially; but when put together, can lean over quite a bit.

Just wanted to throw that possible diagnosis out there.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:18 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
ok

All suggestions appreciated. Still thinking.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:42 AM
bobn
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
drill and tap a hole offset in between the two mounting screws(on the tang). let a set screw protrude up so that when you tighten it down it seats flush on the one side but the set screw acts as a windage adjustment.
...of course to get it plump it is trial and error. you will have to remove the sight and adjust how much or how little it sticks up.
....had to due that on my rossi 62.

Last edited by bobn; 05-05-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Eyeball it closely from all angles, see if something really looks bent.
If it is straight, dont bend anything, carefully file the bottom of the base where it sits on the tang to get it to stand up straight.
It takes only a little down there on the bottom to make the top tip way over, just like a little mis-alignment on sights at the gun translates to way off on target.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:53 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How does it sit just laying on a flat surface off the Firearm? Is this an old or new production sight?

Hard to give much advice out of hand or ateast some photos. The staff may or may not be able to gently straightened without breaking it..But surely wacking is not the answer..

If you do decide to try and straighten it out. Remove the upright staff Clamp the base it in a padded vice..Find a perfect fitting piece of steel to fit between the wings of the base. You could even drill a hole for a pin and a hole in the lever doing the bending and put a pin through it..A little heat from a propane torch may too..If it is the staff itself that is bent..You could leave it assembled and put a hollow padded tube over the staff and gently try to move it some..

If it were in my hands..I could get it back to straight..But take my advice here as it is..I am pretty well versed in this kind of stuff..If someone is not it could end in disaster..

If that fails, the idea of filing the underside of the base may work if you work slowly and carefully..

Pics would help alot..Good Luck
Old 05-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would guess that the tang of the rifle is not level with the rest of the gun. I have been this with a brand new Henry rifle and a brand new Lyman tang sight. In my case a combination of a little front sight drift and shims on the rear brought point of impact to where it's centered. Fast forward to a brand new Rossi 92 and a brand new Marbles sight to deal with the windage problem. It took a lot of windage adjustment to get it centered.

I would check the sight VERY carefully to see if it's bent. I have my doubts that the base is messed up and the staff should be easy to see if it's bent. Leave the big hammer where it resides.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 05-05-2021 at 04:22 PM.