Safe storage of oily rags - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:53 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thinking about my cleaner & oily gun cleaning stuff, cotton and paper products in an open waste paper basket next to my gun bench, again. So far so good but I don't let em accumulate. Coffee can with a plastic lid's a no go eh?

IMA residents here got a chastising in the local paper for folks tossing flashlight batteries and wotnot in garbage and us taking the blame for waste management's landfill fire supposedly ignited by said batts. Fire on the news showed tires burning out of control. hmm
Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Disposing of old flashlight batteries.

I will take masking tape and cover the ends of the flashlight batteries I am throwing away, and since I usually have two or more, will them tape them together so that the ends can't contact other ends. Less chance of them starting a fire. I also unplug the toaster, coffee maker etc. when not in use as the few penny internal switches can sometimes fail and you end up with a house fire.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/art...ous-combustion

Materials subject to spontaneous heating are listed below:
Alfalfa meal
Animal hides
Castor oil
Charcoal
Coal
Cottonseed oil
Fertilizers
Fish meal
Fish oil
Lanolin
Lard oil
Linseed oil
Manure
Metal powders
Olive oil
Peanut oil
Powdered eggs
Soybean oil
Used burlap
Whale oil

"Some types of combustible liquids, such as animal and vegetable oils, have a hidden hazard: they may burn spontaneously when improperly handled. They have high boiling and flash points, narrow flammable ranges and low ignition temperatures, and are non polar. Carbon-based animal or vegetable oils, such as linseed oil, cooking oil, cottonseed oil, corn oil, soybean oil, lard and margarine, can undergo spontaneous combustion when in contact with rags, cardboard, paper or other combustibles. These unsaturated compounds can be dangerous when combustible materials containing residue are not properly disposed of or they come in contact with other combustible materials."

I do a lot of wood working. When I use any oil based finish I lay the rags flat on clean concrete or in a metal pan like my old oil drain pans from my mechanic days (which is not oily, now, except for the finish rag). When dry, in just a few days (they'll be hard) I simply toss them in the regular trash. When I first saw the list of potential fire starters I was quite surprised.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:04 PM
tunnug
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spontaneous combustion is real and I have witnessed it myself, one of the things I do is drop the oily rag into a container with water until I can spread out the rags to let them dry, I make sure the container has a lid in case it gets knocked over.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:31 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i just get one of those red? self closing steel cans where its designed to snuff out those flames.

also, dont keep them in the house/garage for any amount of time.

I try to keep those things inside to a minimum. Once im done, they are in the garbage for next weeks pickup.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
also, dont keep them in the house/garage for any amount of time.

I try to keep those things inside to a minimum. Once im done, they are in the garbage for next weeks pickup.
As do I; which begs the question... how long does spontaneous combustion take?... pertaining to 'average' gun cleaning solvents & oils, whatever average is.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Steeveedee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's too variable a process to put a specific time on it. It depends on the amount, how much it is packed, and even the ambient temperature, since it would be easier to ignite if it was hotter out, or at least could ignite sooner. There are plenty of videos on youtube; if you're a pyrophiliac go watch some. Just be sure to type "rags" as part of the search string, or you'll get a bunch of hooey about spontaneous HUMAN combustion.

NB: A pyrophiliac is a person who likes fire. A pyromaniac is one who uses fire for destructive purposes.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:48 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
"NB: A pyrophiliac is a person who likes fire. A pyromaniac is one who uses fire for destructive purposes."

Technically sexually aroused by combustion...I get that way around muscle cars and hot rods sometimes

Frank the Demented
Old 04-23-2021, 06:01 PM
Steeveedee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
"NB: A pyrophiliac is a person who likes fire. A pyromaniac is one who uses fire for destructive purposes."

Technically sexually aroused by combustion...I get that way around muscle cars and hot rods sometimes

Frank the Demented
Ba-domp-tsh! Go listen to Paul Gilbert and his song "Muscle Car".
Old 04-24-2021, 12:58 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
while id not depend on spontaneous combustion as the fuse for igniting anything i want to burn , ive always been aware of is and cautious , there was a garage that burned once a long time ago maybe 20 or more years ago , and they blamed oily rags in improper storage , i never heard what might be proper storage
Old 04-24-2021, 07:24 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
For this characteristic, there are two types of oils - curing and non-curing.

BLO, linseed oil, Tung oil, etc; react with oxygen as part of their curing process.
This generates heat; and can spontaneously combust if cooling airflow is restricted.

Other more typical oils - lubricating oils or common solvents - are far more stable in air, and do not cure. These aren't really an issue in a comparable way.

Edit: there is a very good recent thread over at CMP Forums on this topic:
PSA: Boiled Linseed Oil Flammability--It's Real.
I have ad it happen to me. I was treating a trailer deck with BLO and the rag I was using, spontaneously combusted. Good thing I was outside.

For oily rags, I would use a steel safety container.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:41 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I heard about Linseed oil and as a result, I toss those out on the ground after use and pickup later to dispose of. Out of caution same for any wood finish, like TrueOil, Tung oil etc...

I never gave any though to a small cloth that spread a few drops of gun oil or CLP. I hope those are safe enough. They even sell gun wipes for that purpose, no warnings on the box or baggie.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post

Frank the Demented
Hear that Crunch! See ya @ Mecum's when the next frame off restored 426 Hemi Charger comes up for grab$.

I also keep several cans of gas in the garage for the generator and yard tools hence a bit of extra interest in this thread about rags spontaneity.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:19 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like to live vicariously on Bring-A-Trailer Al. It's safer than our Trading Post because I can't afford 99% of the stuff I want

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-charger-9/

Closed gas cans aren't any worry as long as they're stored away from open flames/combustion sources.

The OP wanted to know specifically about gun wiping rags, or at least that's the way I took it. Most of us have a gun wiping rag with oil on it in our range bag or on or in our work bench and have no need to worry about it catching on fire.

That's my opinion and unless Rhody or another fireman comes along with a conflicting expert opinion I'm sticking with it.

Happy Saturday you old coot

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oily Rags Safety.JPG (130.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by LtCrunch; 04-24-2021 at 09:31 AM.