How bad did I screw up my new rifle? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:56 PM
PABear
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Everyone has opinions. mine, Steel rods are great bore ruin tools.

But as to Op, check Squeezer, he had it 100% correct. It does scare one when the CZ "guy" is SOOOOO wrong. 22 cal rods work perfect in the bore. CZ bores are not extrat tight, only a terrible ejector design, that interferes.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:38 PM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tomato - Tomoto. Personally I like the Patchworm. Inexpensive and easy. Couple wet patches, then a dry, then shot that sucker. :-).
Old 12-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Mark1964
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I touch up the chamber with a bronze brush on a length of rod.
For .22 bore brushing, I use one of these Dewey pull-through cables (below) and their pistol length brushes, usually nylon.
For .22 patch pulling, I go with a PatchWorm (below) and 7/8" round patches.

https://deweyrods.com/product/22-to-...ble-30-inches/

https://www.tandemkross.com/Patchwor...-Kit_p_50.html
Old 12-09-2020, 06:16 PM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like that system Mark. I too also use a brush in the chamber with a little bore tech carbon remover, probably about every five hundred rounds or so. And also wipe clean the receiver and bolt on occasion when needed. And relube with touch of mineral spirits off the finger onto the bolt.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Mark1964
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie View Post
I like that system Mark. I too also use a brush in the chamber with a little bore tech carbon remover, probably about every five hundred rounds or so. And also wipe clean the receiver and bolt on occasion when needed. And relube with touch of mineral spirits off the finger onto the bolt.
Sounds pert near perfect to me.
Personally, I find I do best when I neither overthink nor overdo.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am with Gerald on that . For many years, I have been using high quality polished stainless steel rods in all my quality rimfires. To name drop a few: Anschutz 54 ( all 5 of them ) Win 52, Rem 40X, Martini intl. and Brno No 4. Of course I use quality bore guides with that.

Gilbert
Old 12-09-2020, 07:38 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
How bad did I screw up my new rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post
Interesting to read that as someone put the fear into me that aluminum could pick up something else and scratch the bore.

Be careful the can of worms you rattle.

As to rods !!!!!!!!!

I say to each their own but I subscribe to a .17 or a .20 proshot s/s cleaning rod. There are as many options and opinions to cleaning rods as there are ways and opinions as to how and how often to clean your barrel/bore/chamber/gun.....

My .17 is used in my 17’s and my .20 is used in all my .22’s.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 12-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Simple Cleaning Method

I have gone all the way back to a boresnake and CLP. Works just fine.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABear View Post
Everyone has opinions. mine, Steel rods are great bore ruin tools.

But as to Op, check Squeezer, he had it 100% correct. It does scare one when the CZ "guy" is SOOOOO wrong. 22 cal rods work perfect in the bore. CZ bores are not extrat tight, only a terrible ejector design, that interferes.
This comes up a lot. It should be a sticky. Pro-Shot .22 caliber rods work just fine if you get that pesky ejector out of the way. Otherwise, get a PatchWorm.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:35 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My firearms aren't the only thing I clean; I have some aluminum and coated rods, and none of them carry anything that would damage the bore, because I check and clean them too. Wiping down a cleaning rod and inspecting it really isn't very difficult, nor does it take a lot of time.
just a random thought....
Old 12-10-2020, 06:42 AM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just out of shear curiosity, from where would the aluminum and coated rods pick up abrasives that would be hard enough to scratch a bore? Is powder fouling really that tough? Is it the carbon deposits that do it? If so, wouldn’t the second bullet down a dirty bore scratch it much worse than a coated rod? I have heard for years coated rods pick up abrasives that could scratch a bore - I just never understood the source of the abrasives........ school’s in session - learn me please LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2020, 07:51 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Something to consider

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...h-bore-snakes/

Last edited by bberg7794; 12-10-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
My best shooting sporter is my 452 varmint. I did the same thing to it when it was new because I didn't know better. And after 12k rounds it still shoots sub 1/5" groups at 50y fairly frequently. In sure it'll be fine.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SS for 22 and CF for the 17s cause thats all I have. Snakes won't do squat for a carbon ring developing unless ya pull thru after every shot and good luck with that for groups.

Shum:
There are abrasives in the primer for ignition. That and if you keep rubbing one metal with another in the same place, even w/o abrasives involved, both will show wear eventually hence bore guide affectionados. The longer lasting, slippery smooth with less friction when accidentally dragging on the breech, SS rods are the best IMO.
If one is rubbing the rifling a change in equipment and/or method and/or using too big of a patch.

There ya go, 2˘ please.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:42 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
SS for 22 and CF for the 17s cause thats all I have. Snakes won't do squat for a carbon ring developing unless ya pull thru after every shot and good luck with that for groups.

Shum:
There are abrasives in the primer for ignition. That and if you keep rubbing one metal with another in the same place, even w/o abrasives involved, both will show wear eventually hence bore guide affectionados. The longer lasting, slippery smooth with less friction when accidentally dragging on the breech, SS rods are the best IMO.
If one is rubbing the rifling a change in equipment and/or method and/or using too big of a patch.

There ya go, 2˘ please.
There you go...