Extended firing/striker pin - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:51 AM
semi_auto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extended firing/striker pin

I have no problems with any SK, Lapua, or bulk ammo but my 10/22 will not shoot the Eley ammo reliably. Have upgraded the striker, extractor, and both springs w/Volquartsen parts. Even pinned the bolt so the striker would not rise, it just seems to not hit the primer hard enough for the Eley ammo to fire. If I could get another 2 to 3 thousands extension, it would work fine, I think. I noticed the Eley ammo rim thickness is about 2-3 thousands smaller on average then my other ammo also.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:29 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you measured your head space? SAAMI spec is 0.043"-0.051", but above 0.046" tends to cause problems - especially with thin rimmed ammo. It not likely that a longer firing pin will help much (even if you can find one).

Many people here send their bolts out to have the head space reduced. Some will even do it themselves.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 AM
semi_auto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No I have not measured that, not sure exactly how to do that either. I am still learning, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_auto View Post
No I have not measured that, not sure exactly how to do that either. I am still learning, sorry.
The depth of the recess in the bolt is your head spacing. Head space can be reduced by removing material from the end of the bolt. Carefully , making sure it's square. Or sent out to get it done.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:22 PM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Kidd firing pin in my Ruger bolt works good. $24 + shipping. Good cleaning might help also. Good luck have fun.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 PM
semi_auto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am coming up with .046 on the head space. Tried swapping the bolt from another rifle, still had the same results. Tried another trigger and that didn't help either. I could not believe the difference in my VQ trigger assembly and an oem trigger. I also tried different charging handles just to leave no stone unturned. This Eley ammo I have, shoots well under a half [email protected] or I wouldn't be spending so much time trying to get it dependable. I have no idea how to remove material from the bolt and keep it even so I am thinking of sending the bolt off to CPC or possibly buying another bolt off ebay or something. On the bright side, I have become fairly efficient at assembling and disassembling the the lil Rugers. That bolt drops right in after you practice a little bit, lol. Just for reference, my goto 10/22 has a GM barrel on it. It's a tack driver with Lapua ammo, but I believe the Eley shoots better.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM
ArmedTramper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My stock 10/22 LVT also shoots very well with Eley, I have a batch of Eley Club just now that will give consistent 0.5 groups at 50. The rifle wasn't functioning reliably with them, a FTF about once every 8-10 rounds.

After much head scratching I radiused the rear of the bolt, reduced the headspace a wee bit to 0.44, and "dressed" or polished the firing pin, its channel and edges. I found that the cross pin that holds the firing pin wasn't set right and was interfering with the recoil spring. The result - not a single FTF or other malfunction in over 100 rounds. They can be fussy little coots!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Horsefly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Just a suggestion..............

Send the bolt to CPC for his tune up. You will be happy and if you have future issues, you can eliminate the bolt causing them. Randy's work is TOP shelf & is a bargain for what you pay for.....

Just H'fly's .22 cents!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 AM
semi_auto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's what I decided to do. He takes the bolt down to .042, right where I need to be. Thanks.