To bull or not to bull? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:11 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Consider aperture sights.
Food for thought at link below.
https://appleseedinfo.org/wp-content...017/01/LTR.pdf

Last edited by stevebla; 10-29-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Mac View Post
Ha thanks, Horsefly!
I have a carbine. I did a search to see if I could spare the post but all I could find easily were others about which bull to replace their current barrel with.

I was thinking the Boyd rimfire hunter + CPC and I'd be in pretty good shape. Scoping the rifle is an entirely different can of worms from what I've been reading! I'm ancy to go shooting so if I can put off that expense for a bit then I'm all for it. I just needed to hear someone talk me out of keeping the current barrel.
Not a lot of aftermarket barrels with iron sights. And why do you need an after market stock? Boyds stocks are heavy. A carbine stock is light in comparison.If your going iron sights then the cpc routE and a set of tech sights is your best bet.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:50 AM
R_Mac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebla View Post
Consider aperture sights.
Food for thought at link below.
https://appleseedinfo.org/wp-content...017/01/LTR.pdf
I was looking at aperture sites I like the lower profile ones like Skinner.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:03 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Go with the sporter barrel for now. When you have graduated and have a job then you can treat yourself to a Kidd barreled action with all of the goodies.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:42 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Yes when money a issue I would stay with the Ruger carbine barrel also...
When I am asked for a aftermarket barrel suggestion - my answer is just Shilen...
Now the poster (R Mac) has no intention of buying a $300 Shilen which is fine...
For those who can buy Shilen, buy directly from Shilen or Brownells... I seen aftermarket internet sellers of Shilen sell scrap barrels for the same $300... Beware...

Green Mountain barrel blanks coming from GM or Brownells remain good and a good buy...

Last edited by CPC; 10-31-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:04 PM
R_Mac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC View Post
Yes when money a issue I would stay with the Ruger carbine barrel also...
When I am asked for a aftermarket barrel suggestion - my answer is just Shilen...
Now the poster (R Mac) has no intention of buying a $300 Shilen which is fine...
For those who can buy Shilen, buy directly from Shilen or Brownells... I seen aftermarket internet sellers of Shilen sell scrap barrels for the same $300... Beware...

GM barrel blanks coming from GM or Brownells remain good and a good buy...
Thanks for the input Randy! I'll have a barreled action in the mail to you next week
Old 11-11-2020, 11:57 AM
SgtH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mentioned precision rimfire in your original post, are you talking about the NRL22 matches? They are a lot of fun and and I am sure a CPC'd factory barrel would have the accuracy needed with good ammo for club level matches. That said for NRL22 or other shooting competitions weight can be your friend as heavier rifle steadies up better than a light carbine. The 10/22 I built up for NRL22 weighs about 10.5 lbs without sling or bipod, which is light compared to what a lot of competitors are using. Mine wears a 20" bull barrel, Vortex 4X16 scope w/MRAD reticle bedded in a Boyd's pro varmit stock with a button tang and a reworked trigger (1.5#pull). Also there are adaptors that allow you to mount Tech type sights on a bull barrel for iron sight matches.