Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM
coop2564
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 overall best ammo

Whats the best overall ammo to run in 10/22's I just got a used one. Only had win super x 40gr copper Hp to test. It ran perfect but 50 yd groups were 3.5". Gun is standard taper barrel model with synthetic after market stock. Barrel floated. Has BX trigger 3lb. Trying to save some money and not buy crap ammo that might not work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger 10-22.jpg (116.9 KB, 459 views)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:50 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm pretty much down to buying Wolf Match for all my guns.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 PM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There is probably not a way for anyone to say which ammo will be the best in your gun- or any 10/22. Seems like every gun has different 'taste' in ammo. But any match ammo will probably do better than the cheap stuff. However, if your gun can only manage 6-7 MOA now, I suspect cheap ammo is not your only problem; you may have barrel issues too. My factory 10/22 barrel was not ever as inaccurate as you've described, but it was pretty bad with any ammo. Match ammo was better- but not a lot better.

Just so you know, I put a Kidd ultra light weight barrel on mine with a BX trigger. It now will shoot sub MOA all day with SK red. My guess is you will spend less time and money on a new barrel than you will spend on ammo searching for the best.

Good luck! It's kinda' fun getting it all figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 02:32 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
more often than not, those thin, whippy, sporter barrels like a little pressure at the forend of the stock for best accuracy...which you can't do in the stock it's in now

and like all rimfires, you have to try a bunch of different stuff to find the rifles favorite...I usually start a new build with CCI MiniMags 'til it functions 100%, but with a used one I'd start with CCI Blazers, or Winchester Wildcats, and work up from there...start cheap and work your way up the price scale till you find what gives the groups you're satisfied with, for the price you're willing to pay to feed it

if your lucky, it will group well with some of the cheap stuff

ETA: and lose those excessively high rings, and get your scope low enough to get a good consistent cheek weld

Last edited by crackedcornish; 07-29-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:40 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the best?

for me it the cheapest per round rimfire that cycles reliably with reasonable accuracy (i'm a plinker)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 07-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
CCI Standard Velocity does well in all six of mine. Pretty consistent, under 2" @ 50yds in all my 10/22s, under 1" in a couple of them. If I want better than that, then I get into individual rifle's preferences and 2-5x as much cost per round. Wolf Match, Eley Club, Match, or Tenex, SK Pistol Match - seems like each gun has a sweet match.

If you are shooting at 50 yards or less, HV ammo can shoot some pretty nice groups. It generally opens up a lot when it drops under the speed of sound, but at 50 is still supersonic. Some of mine shoot MiniMags really well at 50 yards, and a couple shoot Blazers exceptionally well at 50. Most open up a lot by 100.

Best accuracy overall at lowest cost IMHO is CCI SV.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:32 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If that was with open sights, then I'm not surprised. With a scope you might get down to 1.5 with run of the mill ammo. If you are shooting open sights, go get some Blazer or Aguila Super Extra or box of Federal Bulk and have fun shooting. If you like how it does, go buy more of that lot number. There are no magic bullets.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:38 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
If that was with open sights, then I'm not surprised. With a scope you might get down to 1.5 with run of the mill ammo. If you are shooting open sights, go get some Blazer or Aguila Super Extra or box of Federal Bulk and have fun shooting. If you like how it does, go buy more of that lot number. There are no magic bullets.
I'm crushed if there are no magic bullets. If that's the way it is, I'll follow your advice.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:51 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
more often than not, those thin, whippy, sporter barrels like a little pressure at the forend of the stock for best accuracy...which you can't do in the stock it's in now.......
Sure you can, but it sure would be ugly.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sorry to bring bad news, but as others have said, a free floated sporter barrel will likely not do well. Try different ammo, for sure- but a stock that supports the barrel with a pressure pad or a bull barrel might be your better options. That and a trigger job.

Just my .02Ę

DrG
Old 07-30-2020, 03:19 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
On that set up, id try Aqila SV. Or CCI SV. And one of these https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...743RSrBdJnuEmJ
Old 07-30-2020, 09:45 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI sv shoots good for the price. If your results don't improve you could try a Green Mt barrel 16.5 fluted sporter for $138 free shipping. I have had issues with 10/22 moving around in the stock. Have fun 10/22 is a blast.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A
Old 07-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
It ran perfect but 50 yd groups were 3.5". Gun is standard taper barrel model with synthetic after market stock. Barrel floated. Has BX trigger 3lb. Trying to save some money and not buy crap ammo that might not work well.
Also, does that scope have parallax adjustment? In not, that could be a big part of the problem.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:56 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I run Kidd barrels on most of my 10/22 builds and CCI SV isnít the best but it is overall pretty good for the money.

I use mainly Federal bulk for plinking, because it is good enough, then CCI SV for casual target shooting then Eley or RWS for more serious shooting which I rarely do. I do the serious target shooting mainly to see what a particular rifle will do. For that I will try various ammo to see what the rifle likes.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:06 PM
coop2564

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Also, does that scope have parallax adjustment? In not, that could be a big part of the problem.
no it doesn't. And 100 yd parallax. I'll add to that while the 10 shot group was 3.5" 8 were in about 1.25 two flyers. It was that way shot the box of 50 and about 2 out of ten would jump out of group. Which makes me think it was mostly the ammo and maybe some parallax.

Last edited by coop2564; 07-31-2020 at 01:14 PM.