Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:16 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another just standard, standard :)

Guy's/Gal's
My LGS has had a standard Ruger on the shelf for approx. a month now. I have been looking at it and walking away. I decided yesterday to buy it and did. It turns out to be made in 1973. It is not in the best of conditions, it has some holster wear and a little pitting after removing some surface rust on a couple places. But it is not in bad shape either. It has good honest 47 years of use. The rifling is normal for a pistol of that age and use, not new but definitely not worn out either. Medium I would say. Anyway after a strip down and cleaning, took her out for the initial shooting. She did not miss a beat. I adjusted the rear sight for windage only of course, and she was dead on. Very pleased with her.
I was easily hitting my 1" plate at 25 yards. Not bad for the 4.2" barrel. Could I hit it every time, of course not but I manage to hit it quite a bit. Very accurate for her age and amount of use. She is a good older tool that I am happy to have.

Pictures to come soon.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Outbuilding
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations! My MK II never misses, it shoots right where I have it pointed. :-) If I could only point it where I look........

We love pictures, by the way.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 06-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Congrats JSF...those RST4 Standards (4.75" barrel) are sweet and accurate rimfires! Obtained my 76' and 50' in excellent condition, ready to shoot!! The 1976 bicentennial I will, but the 1950 Red Eagle Type II is worth too much (high collectors grade) to play with...eventually the sons will have it one day!!

Ted
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw my first short barreled Ruger semi-auto pistol probably in 1957 when I was about 12 years old. My older cousin had bought it and was trying it out on popping some tin cans. I thought it was just the neatest .22 pistol.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:40 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guy's for all the comments. I really enjoyed shooting yesterday. Did not realize ho much I would enjoy it. My very first pistol that I owned my dad bought for my back in about 1972 or 1973 when I was around 10 years old probably. It was a 6" standard. I never saw him put the gun up or even clean it. But I always loved to shoot it with him. He passed away approx. 3 months ago. To bad, because we kind of lost touch a little bit, with life and family and me moving to another state to support them.

Anyway here are some pictures after cleaning her up. They are not the best but were taken in the setting sun. She is a ruff old girl but a strong shooter and ready to go anywhere. All my other pistols except my Challenger are scoped or Red Dotted. My 1980 Browning Challenger is just plain to nice to be beat round on, this pistol I will use as a tool and she will be babied, well taken care of. But she will be put to harder use and kept stock. I did order a Volquartsen extractor with new spring, the original still working but worn. I also ordered a new recoil spring and rod, older one again worn and tired.
But her she is, think I will just call her sting.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:42 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As you can see, someone really Loved her long before I got her. She has great character and lots of it.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Jeff I would send the old gal to Ruger and have them spiff her up some. In addition to refinishing they will replace worn parts and send you back a beauty !
Old 06-03-2020, 03:49 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
JStacy,
I thought about it, but really she is just to be used as a beater type pistol. Just load and shoot and no worries type.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
JStacy,
I thought about it, but really she is just to be used as a beater type pistol. Just load and shoot and no worries type.
Jeff,

Great memories you don't want/need to redefine!!

I'm looking for a cheap beat-up "birth year" standard that I can practice skills in performing a complete restoration project...hopefully one with all parts intacted, as none are available anymore!

Ted
Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey guy's
I bought a 10 round magazine for my Standard. It was a Mark II magazine, I had to do a few alterations on it. Just wondering if you guy's had to do the same for your 10 rounders in your standard.

I had to change the angle on the magazine followers ramp to less of an angle. This prevented it from angling the 8th round in the magazin to high. That round was catching over the chamber.

Just wondering.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:29 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Jeff you might want to put a new follower spring in that magazine. Sometimes the more "snappy" return springs level the bullets up quicker and help the gun feed better.
I had a "11" prefix gun and never had the feeding problems you describe.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:21 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks JStacy
Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Better pictures today

Old 06-17-2020, 10:06 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
You could polish it up good with XXXX steel wool then touch it up with Brownells oxyphor blue and it will surprise you how good it will look. If you do that do not forget to neutralize the blue on the last coat of bluing.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:29 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the oxyphor blue, that is the best cold blue made I believe. I think I will just keep her as she is, a rugged old girl that has worked hard in her life and shoots straight. She will be for the most part just a straight factory sights, quick get plinker and rodent getter.
JStacy,
Sure hope you are doing well.